Revised Grail Psalter
  • The following was forwarded to me by a friend:

Dear Mr. ______,

Thank you for your question to the Committee on Divine Worship.

As you are aware, the Holy See confirmed the Revised Grail Psalter on March 19, 2010 as the liturgical Psalter to be used in future liturgical books in the dioceses of the United States of America. When confirming the Revised Grail Psalter, the Holy See also sent a large number of revisions to the text, which must be reviewed and reconciled with the principle that the psalms be easily singable. Conception Abbey, the originators of the Revised Grail Psalter, has been undertaking that review process. When the process is complete, the Psalter will be made available.

Once released, the Revised Grail Psalter may be used in the liturgy alongside the existing New American Bible psalter, which continues as the psalter in the Lectionary. When the Lectionary for Mass is fully revised in several years' time, the Revised Grail Psalter will be incorporated into it. Until then, the NAB psalter will remain normative, while allowing for the use of the Revised Grail.

Again, thank you for your question, and for your interest in the liturgical life of our Church.

Sincerely,
    ____ __________
    Staff Assistant
    USCCB Secretariat for Divine Worship
    12 October, 2010

I thought this might be of general interest.
  • Dear Mr. ______________,

Thank you! This will put some minds to rest and permit others to fight on for years to come once the fight over the new translation of the Mass has been put to bed.

noel
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    This is interesting, because I read somewhere else that the Revised Grail Psalms were being used for the antiphons in the new translation of the Missal. How can that be if they're not yet finalized?
  • francis
    maybe they have been accepted as a collection with understanding that revisions will be forthcoming?