Office of Readings and Vigils; also, music for Good Friday OoR Responsory
  • I know that one can insert canticles (given the appendix) and a gospel into the Office of Readings after the second reading, but prior to the Te Deum . I've noticed that there are three canticles, but only one antiphon apiece for Palm Sunday, Good Friday, and Holy Saturday. If I wanted to make the Office of Readings a Vigil by inserting the three canticles, and if only one antiphon is given, how do I do this? Do I sing the antiphon, then use the same psalm/canticle tone for all three canticles? Or, do I repeat the antiphon in between each canticle? Or, do I repeat the antiphon in between canticles but change modes? Does anyone have an answer? My pastor is looking to celebrate the Office of Readings and Morning Prayer together on Good Friday and Holy Saturday in a manner similar to Tenebrae. He is ADAMANT about using the vernacular Liturgia Horarum rather than the traditional Tenebrae: so, I once again ask, how do I incorporate three canticles with one antiphon?

Finally, does anyone have a chanted setting for the Good Friday OoR Responsory after the 2nd reading? I don't mind setting it to English myself, I just need some music:

Responsorium Cf. 1 Petr 1, 18-19; Eph 2, 18; 1 Io 1, 7
    R/. Non corruptibílibus argénto vel auro redémpti estis, sed pretióso sánguine quasi Agni immaculáti Christi. * Per ipsum habémus accéssum omnes in uno Spíritu ad Patrem.
    V/. Sanguis Iesu Christi Fílii Dei emúndat nos ab omni peccáto. * Per ipsum.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    As for the first, I don't have a definitive answer. When reciting in that manner, I usually repeat the antiphon between each canticle, but that was just my own solution. When singing, unless someone provides a better answer, I would think you could place all the canticles together until one antiphon (with one Gloria Patri at the very end) or you could repeat the antiphon between each canticle (in which case I don't know what the protocol would be regarding the Gloria Patri). However, I am fairly certain that you would not change the mode - as the mode of the antiphon determines the mode of the psalm or canticle being chanted, and since there's only one antiphon there would only be one mode.
  • dvalerio
    > Do I sing the antiphon, then use the same psalm/canticle tone for all three canticles?

Yes. The Gloria Patri is sung at the end of each canticle.

> Or, do I repeat the antiphon in between each canticle?

You may, though traditionally this is not done when there is only one antiphon for several psalms.

> Or, do I repeat the antiphon in between canticles but change modes?

No.

> does anyone have a chanted setting for the Good Friday OoR Responsory after the 2nd reading?

Since you copied it in Latin, you ought rather to follow what the Ordo Cantus Officii, p. [111], and sing three responsories, Sicut ovis, Tenebrae, and Caligaverunt. You will have three readings (Hebrews, John Chrysostom, and the Gospel), and there is no Te Deum, so there is one responsory per reading.

If you sing the responsories in English, I have no idea where to find music for them, but I'm sure there are many people in this forum able to assist.
  • Thank you all so very much for your help. Yes, unfortunately I need everything in English. I can't use Latin. I only copied it in Latin to see if anyone knew of any settings of this responsory in Latin (which I would then use to set in English via Gregorio). Thanks again for your help.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I know that when one psalm or canticle is split up under different antiphons there is a Gloria Patri for each antiphon. I was under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that singing multiple psalms and canticles under one antiphon meant there was only one Gloria Patri. Is that incorrect?
  • I also thought there was only one Gloria Patri, but I'm still very new both at the Office and at chant. On a related note (pun intended--sorry), where can I find the Psalm 94 "Venite, exsultemus Domino" Invitatory tone IV (again, preferably English)? I'd take the Latin, too.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Liber Hymnarius, p. 138 (that's Latin, of course, I don't know where you would find this in English short of making your own adaptation.)
  • dvalerio
    > singing multiple psalms and canticles under one antiphon meant there was only one Gloria Patri

That was the case of psalms 62 and 66, on the one hand, and 148, 149 and 150, on the other, at Lauds, before the reforms of S. Pius X. Each of those two groups of psalms were sung as though they were only one psalm each. On the other occasions the Gloria Patri is effectively sung at the end of each psalm or canticle, and, after the S. Pius X reform, after each part of psalm as well. Of course, in the Extraordinary Form Good Friday is among the days in which the Gloria Patri is ommitted; but in the Ordinary Form there are no such days, and the Gloria Patri is sung at the end of every single psalm, part of psalm or canticle 365 (or 366 as the case may be) days per year.
  • dvalerio
    > where can I find the Psalm 94 "Venite, exsultemus Domino" Invitatory tone IV (again, preferably English)?

If I were you I'd just stick to a psalm tone. It works far better (and easier) in the vernacular. (Sorry to those who find this way too lazy.)

> which I would then use to set in English via Gregorio

You could always sing those three responsories mentioned in the Ordo, translated into English, adapting their gregorian melodies (found e.g. in the Liber Usualis)...
  • Thank you. I think that's what I'm going to do. You've helped tremendously!
  • I've set the three responsories in English according to to their Gregorian melodies. I think, though, I'd still like the Invitatory tone IV, at least. Unfortunately, I don't own the Liber Hymnarius. I can't afford it right now. Is there any way to find Invitatory tone IV online?
  • dvalerio
    There are several settings of the invitatory psalm in tone IV: you have two in the Liber Usualis (check the index), two in Father Thompson's Dominican Antiphonarium (see e.g. pp. 1104 and 1108 of vol 1), one in a booklet prepared by a French schola for Holy Saturday (which I've been unable to upload; I'll try again in a moment). I have no idea of what the actual tone is that ought to match Good Friday's invitatory antiphon (does anyone know? does anyone have it in Gregorian chant?).
  • dvalerio
    Let's see if the file gets uploaded this time...
  • dvalerio
    It seems I can only upload one page at a time, otherwise the file would be too big.
  • dvalerio
    Here's the last page.
  • Thank you. Unfortunately, I can't seem to re-locate the website where I initially found the Good Friday Invitatory antiphon. It's one of those, "Gee, I wish I had bookmarked it when I had the chance" moments. I know, bad move. Sorry. I did find it in mode IV, though it doesn't seem to look anything like the mode you gave here. It looks more like one of the modes suggested from the Liber Usualis and from the Liber Hymnarius. In fact, If I recall correctly, isn't mode IV* actually more correctly mode II?

Now I'm going to have fun finding the Holy Saturday Invitatory antiphon.
  • dvalerio
    > Now I'm going to have fun finding the Holy Saturday Invitatory antiphon.

I can help you with that one! Thank the French schola again...
  • dvalerio
    Concerning the Good Friday Invitatory antiphon, you can always use the version provided by Father Thompson's Domincan Antiphonarium, p. 725 of vol. 2a.
  • Thank you again. Fr. Thompsons's antiphon looks very similar to the one I found, but I know I didn't take it from that particular resource.
  • Here is the Good friday Invitatory antiphon from the Liber Hymnarius, p. 67. The psalm Venite in tone IV will follow shortly...
  • Thank you. The Liber Hymnarius is just too expensive for me right now. Someday...
  • Is there music for the intercessions?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Yes, the Antiphonale Romanum II gives a formula for the intercessions, but it's nothing special.
  • Thanks, so much again. I'm indebted to you all. May I ask what the formula is?
  • Here is the formula as it appears in the 2010 Antiphonale Romanum (p. 758). The formula (at least for the response) was also used at Vespers of the CMAA Fall Practicum in Houston.
  • Thank you so much! Finally, is there a formula for the 1st and 2nd readings and Gospel of the Office of Readings and the short reading of Morning Prayer, or do you just use the tones for Mass?
  • I don't know about formulas for the readings of the Office of Readings. The 2010 Antiphonale Romanum has a formula for the readings of Lauds and Vespers, which I also used for the Office of Compline (the only thing missing in my booklet is the interrogatio). Perhaps formulas from the Liber Usualis can be used?
  • dvalerio
    To the best of my knowledge the tones for the Lessons in the Liber Usualis (p. 120 and ff. in the 1961 edition) are used.
  • Yeah, I'll try the LU and see how it goes. Thanks again. Sorry I have so many questions, but this is my first real foray in chanting the Office and I want to get it right. Thanks.