An Organist with Back Problems
  • Okay, folks, so this isn't specifically liturgical in nature, but I'm betting that several folks here could offer some keen insight...

I'm expecting to have a conversation with our long-time organist here at my church about the deteriorating condition of her back. She's been bringing it up more and more, and is seeing a doctor about it as well. She's finally at the point where she's doubting that she can continue as organist if her condition doesn't improve or worsens.

The organ bench is a standard flat piece of wood. Obviously not conducive to good back support. So I'm going to appeal to the greater wisdom of the group here to see if you've dealt with this and what good solutions you've found. Anything I can do to help her is appreciated.

Cheers,
    Dan
  • Backrest.

Depending upon the organ builder you can order one, if they do not offer it as an option, Organ Supply in Erie makes them and your organ tech can install it. It may prevent the the lid of the bench from lifting if it is hinged, but an organist's back is more important.

These back rests catch you in the small of the back and are very, very helpful, since we sit more than we lean forward and play.

Also, some back conditions can be assisted by raising the back legs of the bench slightly.

There are piano benches built to tilt the player by doing this. This actually comes from the wedge seat that carriage drivers traditionally sit on. Being pulled forward by two sets of reins that split into eight by the time they reach the horses and can be 30' long, the wedged seat straightens the spine, balancing the hip bones and spine in a vertical fashion.

Works the same for piano....just cannot raised too high for organists can slide off the bench into the pedals!

Here is a link: http://www.bondypiano.com/bench_105PROF.htm

[wow! a linked link!]

Padding the bench may help some, but severely restrict swiveling to play pedal notes.
  • francis
    Don't know if it is even possible, since swiveling to proper pedals is an art, but some industrial designer should come up with an ergonomic swiveling organist chair.

Did a google:

http://www.webspawner.com/users/adrawah/index.html

Go to the bottom, and read about the AGO putting a pic on the front cover of their mag a while back.
  • Some sessions with someone who teaches the Alexander Technique may prove very helpful.
    A good introduction to this technique, used in many music schools to develop proper playing posture is:
    How to Learn the Alexander Technique (A Manual for Students)
    by Barbara and William Conable
    Andover Press, 1995
    ISBN 0-9622595-4-3

Back problems are very often the result of improper posture and carriage.
  • Jackson:

I've actually studied Alexander, using the Conable book, and agree wholeheartedly that it's an excellent long-term solution to these kinds of issues. I will recommend it. At the same time, I'm also invested in seeking out immediate relief as well, as Alexander seeks to alter existing body carriage (the 'p-word' is verboten in Alexanderspeak) habits, which takes time.
  • I don't know much about the Alexander Technique, but from what I'm reading, some of the principles seem to be similar to Pete Egoscue's method, http://www.egoscue.com/ His books give full details on how to, see "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue, ISBN 0553379887.

This of course isn't directed at musicians and organists, but my friends, my mother, and I have found good relief without spending lots of money. Just thought I would throw in that suggestion.
  • Please start by making sure that the bench is the right height.

I have played on an nonadjustable organ bench that fit one organist perfectly. The second organist required 1 and 1/2 inch risers under the legs of the bench. While I, with my long legs, required 4 inch risers.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    . . . what about those of us who don't play the organ very well . . . is there hope?

;-)
  • CharlesW
    As in "Whispering Hope" perhaps. ;-) There is always hope, but organ is a difficult instrument to play without huge investments in time and practice. Benches, however, are another matter. The standard bench fits me perfectly. Even with adjustable benches, I set them on the typical standard setting.
  • francis
    JO... you have plenty of time to dig in.
  • Whoa! In all my years I've never seen adjustable benches! I'm obviously playing in the wrong churches! How about for shorter people? Is there any help?
  • For shorter people, organ builders put 2/4's under the organ and pedalboard...easier than cutting the bench.

"Standard height" from top of bench to middle d is 20.5 inches.