Two different versions of Gospel Acclamation for All Souls
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Here is an option for the Gospel Acclamation for All Souls:

Ego sum resurréctio et vita, dicit Dóminus; qui credit in me non moriétur in ætérnum. (Jn 11: 25a, 26)

Some books have:

1. I am the resurrection and the life, says the Lord; whoever believes in me will never die.

While some have:

2. I am the resurrection and the life, says the Lord; whoever believes in me, even if he died, will never die.
  • I noticed another difference when preparing the booklet with Lauds and Vespers for All Souls. The Benedictus antiphon during Lauds is Ego sum resurrectio. In de 1934 Antiphonale Monasticum (p. 1166) the text of this antiphon is (Io 11, 25-26):

Ego sum resurrectio et vita: qui credit in me, etiam si mortuus fuerit, vivet: et omnis qui vivit et credit in me, non morietur in aeternum.

While in the 2006 Antiphonale Monasticum II (p. 241) as well as in R.-J. Hesbert's Corpus Antiphonalium Officii (CAO 2601) the text is:

Ego sum resurrectio et vita; qui credit in me, etiam si mortuus fuerit, vivet; et omnis qui credit in me, non morietur in aeternum.

It isn't the same difference as the one you noticed with the Gospel Acclamations, but still I thought it was remarkable.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I would assume that if consulting the Ordo Cantus Officii, one should substitute anything in the 2006-2008 Antiphonale Monasticum for the references to the 1934 Antiphonale Monasticum.

Am I right in that?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Also, variations in the SAME BOOK !!! Re: 2nd Sunday of Lent:

From the shining cloud the Father's voice is heard: This is my beloved Son, listen to him. (Year A)

From the shining cloud the Father's voice is heard: This is my beloved Son, hear him. (Year B)

. . . in the same book!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    And again in the same book:

God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might have eternal life.

God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so everyone who believes in him might have eternal life.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Very interesting! Does anyone have the Latin edition of the Lectionary?

The other thing I would suggest is to see which (if either) of the near-duplicates match the NAB.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    One does not live on bread alone, but by every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.

One does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.
  • gregpgregp
    Jeff, these last three examples are just translation variants.

English synonyms
    "listen to " : "hear"
    "so" : "so that"
    "on" : "by"

All of these are legitimate translations of the original. My Latin and Greek students would get equal credit for each.

Your first example is different. The Latin text does mean "whoever believes in me will never die". The Greek original, however, says "whoever believes in me, even if he dies, will live". So the second version looks like a conflation of the two.
  • But. Why not be consistent? It would be rather helpful to composers, alone.
  • gregpgregp
    Oh, yes, of course. I'm just commenting on the underlying linguistic issue.
  • JO, what book is this?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    GregP: The reason for my concern is that I've always been told we have to have to follow the official texts, and we cannot go changing the words---but it seems like they have many typos, no?

JT: James Socias Daily Missal --- Our Sunday Visitor
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Well, wait... those may be from different translations of the Lectionary. The gospel acclamation verses come from the Lectionary, not the Missal/Sacramentary. The current translation of the Lectionary for Sundays and Solemnities went into effect in 1998, the one for weekdays in 2002. What does the current US Lectionary have? (i.e. actually pick up the big red books at your Church!)

If the current English Lectionary has two different translations (on different days), then check the Latin Lectionary. If the Latin is the same in both places where the English is the different, I say you have freedom to choose the English you want to set. If the Latin is also slightly different, I would set both texts separately - even if it seems silly.