Iam, Christe, Sol Iustitiae; Iesu, Quadragenariae; and four other hymns
  • pitkiwi
    I am in the process of compiling a hymnal for the Liturgy of the Hours. I have found almost everything, and lack only six hymns. I cannot, for the life of me, find them.

Two of them are:
    Christe, Sol Iustitiae
    Iesu, Quadragenariae

The other four are modern:
    The earth is full of the goodness of Christ
    To one that is so fair and bright
    Ye who own the faith of Jesus
    Lord your glory in Christ we have seen

All I need is the melody (I already have the lyrics in my breviaries). If anyone could help me find these, I would have everything I need to start compiling my hymnal.

Thanks for your help!

Also, if anyone knows of an English setting of the Te Deum and Marion antiphons using the translations found in the modern breviary, I would be grateful as well.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    For the Latin hymns of the Liturgy of the Hours, *the* source is the Liber Hymnarius. Iesu, Quadragenariae is on p. 49. I could not find Christe, Sol Iustitiae in the index. Was this an EF office hymn whose text was restored to earlier usage in the OF LotH? If so, please tell me when it occurs, and I will try to track it down for you.

Also, for the modern hymns, their melodies likely go with the text of the Latin originals. Do you have those Latin original names. Then you could look up the melody in the Liber Hymnarius as well.
  • Below are the two Latin hymns (from Les Heures Grégoriennes II, pp. 1142 and 1162).

A recording of Iesu Quadragenariae is found here. I suspect there are different settings of Iam, Christe, because a recording I found uses another melody.

Steven
  • Maureen
    "To One That Is So Fair and Bright, Velut Maris Stella" is not modern. It's Middle English, changed to modern spelling by Jessie Weston back in the day. I agree that's still modern compared to Prudentius.... :) Anyway, we've had a thread about the tune usually used with it, before. I've never heard it myself, or seen the hymn outside the usual literary/historical/linguistic sources, so I have no clue who's been fiddling around with the words to make a copyrightable song. :) P

Personally, I'd go with a nice medieval tune. You can't get any more public domain than that; and we have several surviving English tunes from back then, many religious or devotional. Also, a lot of younger French tunes go well with Middle English, because of the feminine rhymes and word endings.

The only version I've seen of "The Earth Is Full of the Goodness of Christ" is an alternate refrain wording for Haugen's "The Earth Is Full of the Goodness of God". It looks like it's a psalm setting, yes?

Oremus Hymnal lists tons of hymnal sources for "Ye Who Own the Faith of Jesus". Apparently some people also sing it to the same tune as "Daily, Daily".

"Lord, Your Glory in Christ We Have Seen" is music by Langlais. It's not in public domain, I don't think, because it's from 1957. The French title of the song is "Dieu, Nous Avons Vu Ta Gloire" (spelling?). It's also known as "God, Your Glory We Have Seen in Your Son", if that helps.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Sorry, I was thinking they were all office hymns in the traditional sense, and not the wider sense.
  • Maureen
    Well, I guess they're hymns in people's regional breviary books, whatever they started out to be.
  • I take kind exception to the 'medieval tune' when there are people on the list who are very talented composers willing to work with the freedom given by create commons 3.0...I need to stand up for these guys because they put up with my attempts at composition!

We are going to kill Catholic music if we only use historical PD music....as if we haven't done everything we can to ill it already with guitars!
  • Maureen
    Well, of course any text can be set to any music. But that particular text kinda screams "I am Middle English". It's like setting something with a bunch of "derry derry derry" text in it to a Beatles tune. You can do it, nothing stopping anybody, kinda obvious if you do. OTOH, I've had people opine in public that "The Wind That Shakes the Barley" was a song about pagan prehistoric sacrifices, so obviously not everybody has text screaming its age and political views at them! :)

Composers will be setting texts until the end of time, and writers will be coming up with new texts until the end of time. I don't think composers have any reason to believe that their jobs are in danger.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    For the record, I don't object to using non-chant and/or non-Latin hymns in the Divine Office - I'm just partial to the ones specified in the Latin Liturgia Horarum (in Latin or vernacular [e.g. the Mundelein Psalter]) for their tradition and appropriateness to the individual hours.

While some of the modern texts for hymns in the American Liturgy of the Hours are quite nice and can be easily set to traditional hymnody, others are texts that are not really hymn texts at all and are only singable to the 1970s original music to which they were set. Perhaps it was assumed this music (which was at the time of the edition less than a decade old!) would surely become part of the rich repertoire of Catholic sacred music for all time - or perhaps, giving the bishops conference the benefit of the doubt, it was assumed there would be further editions that would actually translate the Latin hymns (as I'm assuming the present-day Liturgiam authenticam ICEL will do when they are finally able to turn their attention to the Liturgy of the Hours).