Lauds in OF
  • Greetings, I have been asked to put together a Lauds service in the OF in English for Oct. 22. I don't have the printed resources since I don't deal in the OF Office much. Is there anyone who can help with chants in English. I seem to recall that we did this at Colloquium in 2008, but I can't find that booklet. Any help is appreciated!
  • mahrt
    Michael, I put together the booklet for the lauds at the colloquium. Send me your e-mail and I will send it to youl mahrt@stanford.edu
  • Thank you, Dr Mahrt. I did find the colloquium booklet, but maybe someone has tips for doing a weekday MP with the proper texts? Just curious.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I'm currently putting together OF vespers for Dec 17-23, so I'd be happy to share the first night as an example.

My antiphons will be in Latin according to the Ordo Cantus Officii (actually for this heightened season they're all thankfully exactly the same [excepting 1970s ICEL poor translations] as the vernacular in the Liturgy of the Hours books).

I've pointed the English Grail Psalms included in the Liturgy of the Hours to go with the appropriate modes. I know there is much disagreement about this, but I, like Richard Rice have found my own rules for this that make me happy, and only occasionally break them or cringe at the resultant awkwardness of stress (which one must admit also does happen in Latin psalmody, albeit less so - we're all just used to it or less familiar with *speaking* Latin and so don't notice). Also, we tend to be so bent up on using Douay-Rheims around here, that we forget the Grail Psalms give a very good pattern of accents - that was the whole point of their creation in the first place!

Anyway, I digress. Please shoot back with any specific questions.