Propers for a Beatification or Canonization
  • francis
    Now I am curious! After reading a short post by JT and others about Cardinal Newman and the recent celebration of his beatification, does anyone know if there are specific Propers for these events? If so, where does one find them?
  • francis
    No, no propers that I can see.
  • PeterG
    I too have been wrestling with this problem. I have been asked to select and present the music for a Mass to mark the canonisation of Bl Mary McKillop, the first Saint of Australia and New Zealand, which will take place on Sunday 17 October. The Mass text handed to me gave no guidance whatsoever as to Propers! Eventually I found my way to Fr Weber's page (God bless him!) on the St Louis Archdiocese site. I selected Propers from the 'A Holy Woman not a Martyr' section and find them very beautiful.
    Look for them under Sanctoral > Various propers for Feasts of the Saints outside Paschaltide. Below that there is also a reference to Bl John Henry Cardinal Newman (my own spiritual hero whose writings led me across the Tiber) but regrettably the link seems not to be working. Maybe there's a general reference, analogous to my "Holy Woman", that would help in Masses for such a Newman.\
    2. A related query: does anyone know of an easy motet/anthem (time is short!) that would fit the canonisation of a woman saint like Mary Mckillop or St mary of the Cross as she will become? If so, please point me to it.
    PeterG
  • francis
    God bless you PeterG. Not that I am planning the Canonization of anyone around here, per say. But it is interesting to know.
  • Sorry, Francis. I don't think there are generic propers for canonization or beatification, per se, but there are propers appointed for each new feast or commemoration on the calendar. For Bl. John Henry Newman "De Communi pastorum: pro presbyteris" with proper collect. You would presumably select choral propers from the commons from the options given in the Gradual.

Hope this is more helpful.