San Diego Chant Course
  • CMAA Comrades! Please pray for this course I'll be leading in San Diego. Special thanks to choir member Janet Howard, who took the reins with an ad idea, that just ran in our diocesan newspaper. Here is the ad text with specifics:

Want to sing Scripture?

Gregorian Chant Course
    Come Sing and Learn the Basics of Our Catholic Sung Prayer

This FREE course is designed for choir directors, singers,
    and anyone wanting to gain familiarity with chant

We'll learn how to sing acapella from chant notation.
    We'll sing 1-2 Chant Ordinaries (Kyrie, Gloria, Sanctus, Agnus Dei), 1
    Credo, 4-5 Chant Hymns, 2-4 Marian antiphons

Wednesday evenings 7-9pm, Oct. 6- Nov. 17
    St. Anne Catholic Church, Choir Room
    621 Sicard Street, San Diego, CA 92113

Classes taught by Mary Ann Carr Wilson, B.M., M.M., Director of Music at St. Anne
    To register, please leave a message for Mary Ann at the parish office,
    619-239-8253 ext.116
  • Cont'd...

Then, earlier this week, I followed up with an email blast to folks I thought might be interested- priest friends and parish musicians (who were asked to put info in their bulletins if possible), lapsed Catholics, music school buddies, etc:

Greetings Fellow Musicians and Chant Lovers in San Diego!

I wanted to personally invite you to a seven week chant course I'll be leading
    here at St. Anne's parish, beginning Oct. 6. If you attended last year, you're
    also welcome to come again, of course.

It is my hope that this course can help equip singers, choir directors, deacons, seminarians, priests, and gee- anyone- with the desire to learn Gregorian chant. So far this year we'll have with us a diverse group, from a symphony musician
    to at least one deacon. There is certainly a spot for you!

I will also make myself available for an hour after class for folks with specific needs. For example, this time can be used for singing the celebrant's or deacon's parts, or conducting practicum for directors. I'm totally open to the needs of the group, just let me know.

Please do pray for this venture, whether or not you can join us. It was a
    success and a blast last year, and I'm confident it will be so again this year.

Please find all the specifics below, and pass this info along to anyone you wish. Thanks for your support and...

Keep Singing!

I welcome any ideas for more 'prongs in the attack', and appreciate all your prayers of support!
  • What a great idea! You have my prayers, Mary Ann.
  • My learning about chant got it's start from just such an ad in the diocesan paper..back in the mid-1990s.
    With prayers for your success.
  • Kathy
    Best wishes with this, Mary Ann!
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Mary Ann, I wish you great success! This will be excellent.

As far as other prongs of attack, do you have a Catholic radio station in the area? They might be willing to do a short interview with you on the air.

Also, I pulled in lots of people for my last workshop here in Peoria by a mailing campaign. I sent out fliers ("Gregorian Chant for Dummies") and a pamphlet on the Cathedral Chant School to all parishes within half an hour's driving distance, plus all the nearby Newman Centers and religious houses. I had to close registration early due to the response! I realize it's too late for this now, but it's a thought for next time. (You'll also need a bit of cash to pay for postage.)

My former chant co-teacher swore that learning chant was extremely helpful to good vocal technique, and there are certainly psychological and physiological pluses to singing chant. Depending on the audience you want to draw in, describing these benefits could create more interest.