Sung 1960 vespers
  • Hi,

I'm curious. What materials do people use for singing 1960 vespers?
    The only pre-conciliar books I know of is the 1911 Antiphonale Romanum.
    But the breviary has been modified several times since the Pian reforms , so I guess some other materials must be used.
    (maybe from the 1934 Antiphonale Monasticum ?)

Thanks in advance.
  • As to the texts melodies, the 1911 Antiphonale Romanum is good enough. You only have to apply the current (1962) rubrics and calendar which can be found in the Breviary. The Liber Usualis 1961, too, contains Vespers for Sundays and main Feasts. The monastic Office is quite a different thing, especially after the changes in the secular Office in 1911.
  • Thanks, Andris.
  • Simon
    Consider singing the monastic vespers as outlined in the 1934 AM. We (Schola Cantorum Amsterdam - SCA Chantmen) do that when we sing vespers here in Amsterdam. For the most part, the only adjustment we make is the Magnificat antiphon to fit the present lectionary (taken from the new Ant.Monasticum). Only four psalms and the conclusion is more attractive than the Roman rite.
  • Simon, this thread is more about singing old roman vespers than singing monastic ones.

Anyway, it seems strange to me to use the 1934 AM for the monastic vespers in the ordinary form.
    Why not just using the new AM?
  • chonakchonak
    Of course there are differences between the two forms of the Office, which may provide reasons to prefer one or the other. The new LOTH uses the Nova Vulgata Psalms instead of the older and more familiar Vulgate text; it has a litany of intercessions much longer than the simple Kyrie it replaces. I find them rather prolix.

The old Office has the hymn after the reading, which makes for a progression of simpler melodies at the start of the office (psalm tones and psalm antiphons) and more decorative melodies later (the hymn, the solemn tone of the Magnificat, and the Magnificat antiphon).
  • You're right about the Vulgate version. I understand that one can prefer one over the other.

As for the hymn, while appearing at the beginning of the office to conform to LOTH, monastic communities can decide to sing it right after the reading as it has always been. The antiphonary permits this. At Solesmes, they do it this way.