New Bishop Named for the Archdiocese of Seattle
  • After months of waiting, we recieve word of the next Archbishop of our diocese. Anyone from Joliet know Bishop Sartain?

http://www.dioceseofjoliet.org/sartain.asp
  • DougS
    One of his key issues is natural family planning, and I believe he was, and perhaps still is, on the advisory board of the Couple-to-Couple League. That doesn't tell you anything about his liturgical sensibilities, but it shows he goes to great lengths to uphold Church teachings about which he has strong feelings.

His installation Mass in Little Rock (I was a musician for it) was standard post-VII music.
  • Seattle needs a lot of help liturgically, but knowing he is strong in upholding Church morals is an equally important subject. He currently is on the administrative board of the USCCB is all I have heard.
  • G
    He gave an excellent keynote address at the musician's retreat at Mundelein (sp?) several years ago, IIRC, on the topic of the liturgical power of the properly celebrated liturgy.
    His own presidential style was a little rough but very correctly intentioned, (sorry, that sounds pretentious, I can't think of the right way to say what i mean.)
    Fr (Msgr?) Martis thinks highly of him, which earns him points in my book.
    One of the regular posters here is from the Joliet diocese, as i recall, and ought to be able to tell us more.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • I know nothing about HIM - this is more my assessment of the situation in general ...

Someone above mentioned his fidelity to Church teachings; unfortunately, that is the trend I have been noticing: the bishops and other "rising stars" are GENERALLY "conservative." They wouldn't think twice about wavering on Church teaching on things like birth control, abortion, etc. But their othodoxy to liturgical law? Not encouraging. They tend to view music as "fluff," I think, and would rather spend their political capital on the issues I just mentioned rather than turning people off with music and good liturgy. Even Whispers in the Loggia noted, once again, that Benedict has NOT been naming the "VERY CONSERVATIVE" bishops that some feared he would, but rather moderate ones.

My former pastor fits right into this mold: personally pious, more conservative than most in general, but a real politician not willing to make waves over music. And looking at his curriculum vitae, it seems completely possible that he is headed straight for a cathedra in the future.