Benediction Hymns
  • I have just completed editing an O Salutaris and Tantum Ergo. I had wanted to post them on cpdl but it is staggeringly complex to upload scores on cpdl.
    So, here they are. Please feel free to use them. They are effective and very simple.

The hand written 'originals' that I was working from state they are Victoria, but I would suggest they are almost certainly not. If anyone recognises them and knows who the composer is with any certainty, then please let me know.

Enjoy.
    Thanked by 1mantonio
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    As for the Tantum ergo, the melody is immediately recognizable as the Mode I version of the hymn Pange lingua gloriosi (lthough there seems to be a transcription error in the plainchant as given). Victoria composed a setting for the even-numbered verses of this Mode I hymn. The setting provided here is indeed that of the final two stanzas of the Victoria setting, found here, in the "himnos" section on the tomasluisdevictoria.org site. The PDF from this site is attached is this.

The CPDL page Pange Lingua Gloriosi (Tomás Luis de Victoria) refers to the above page. Also at CPDL is a separate page Tantum ergo, II (Tomás Luis de Victoria) which gives two more editions of the relevant setting (just for the final two verses).

The Mode I version of the plainchant is quite lovely - different from the usual Mode III version - despite having the same overall melodic contours. I used the Mode I chant for my own setting of Pange lingua at CPDL.
  • Thanks for that, Charles!