Vellum Leaf - what do I have?
  • Dear All,

I was recently given a lovely gift. (See links below)
    I'm not sure what I have. A note attached to it said "vellum leaf from a 14th c manuscript known to have come from England".
    I think it's an index for mass propers from an unknown missal.
    Can anyone help me out?

• As you can see, this seems to be a list or catalogue of propers for the feasts of several saints. It may or may not be XIV. century: someone more expert in calligraphic style could say. I have the propers for the Epiphany in a similar script and have thought without certitude that they were probably XV. century.
    One thing is certain: you should consider having this reframed expertly with a mat separating the manuscript from the glass. This will prevent moisture with its attendant microbes from the glass from degrading the vellum and, particularly, the organically-based mediaeval ink.
  • Just in case the text isn't clear to someone, this seems to be a calendrical listing of propers for feasts of saints in October (octobris), as shown at the top of the second image. Starting with the second image, which looks to be first in the order of the book, and comparing with the Liber Usualis, propers are given for:
    St Callistus, Pope and martyr (October 14),
    St Luke the evangelist (Oct 18),
    St Hilarion, abbot (Oct 21),

On the first image, propers are given for:
    SS Chrysanthus and Daria, Martyrs (Oct 25),
    St Evaristus, Pope and martyr (Oct 26),
    Vigil of Apostles Simon and Jude (not in the Liber, but would have been Oct 27),
    Feast of Apostles Simon and Jude (Oct 28).

It's curious, but the dates for the feasts don't seem to be on the leaf. I wonder what the small Roman numerals after the text incipits represent? Maybe page numbers in the book? Hope this isn't too pedantic.
  • Maureen
    They might have left the date numbers till last, and not actually finished them. It happens, in medieval books.
  • I'm really doubting that this is medieval. I sure has a more Renaissance look to the script. Of course one can't argue with a note.