Simpler Offertory - 17th Sunday After Pentecost
  • Hello everyone -

Since I have this year a new job teaching chant to high schoolers, I need some simpler chants. So just for kicks I took the proper Offertory chant (XVII Sunday) from the Graduale and cut it down for easier singing. I tried to follow some simple rules - for the most part phrases begin on the same pitch they ended on, I removed the melismas, but I followed what I thought was the general outline of the melody. Since without the melismatic parts the chant can be...abrupt...I've arranged the icti to keep the music flowing.

I'm sure, since this is my first foray into typesetting and arranging a new chant, that I have some mistakes and there are things I could have done better. So let me know what you think. I've sung through it a couple times and it seems to work pretty well.

Btw, I used Festa Dies A font for this in Corel Draw.

God Bless,
    Matt
  • Very pretty and nice! It is so impressive that people can do this on their own.
  • amazing!
  • Heath
    ossian, this is very, very good . . . and if I had seen it yesterday before my rehearsal, I would have considered using it! (We slogged our way through the original, and, as you know, it's a beast!)

Adam Bartlett, could this fine adaptation be used in your current project? It seems like the last stepping-stone before the real thing . . .
  • If anyone wants to use this, feel free, and let me know how it goes.
  • I've now completed the offertory for the 18th Sunday - which is another really long one - Sanctificavit. I'll put it up tomorrow once I type it out.

It strikes me that these would be really appropriate for the Ordinary Form in particular, considering the length of the Offertory in that form of the Mass. There have been times when I've felt rushed through the chant because the priest is already waiting for me to end...
  • Chrism
    It strikes me that these would be really appropriate for the Ordinary Form in particular

I agree, and I hate to be a killjoy, but writing one's own plainsong Propers for the EF High Mass is illicit, and for good reason: to preserve unity within the rite. I realize that you are sort of following the model of the Chants abregés, which had a particular imprimatur for its publication and use. The only allowed options at the EF are the chants in the book, Psalm tones, recto tono, or polyphony:

21. c) But if for some reason a choir cannot sing one or another liturgical text according to the music printed in the liturgical books, the only permissible substitution is this: that it be sung either recto tono, i.e., on a straight tone, or set to one of the psalm tones. Organ accompaniment may be used. Typical reasons for permitting such a change are an insufficient number of singers, or their lack of musical training, or even, at times, the length of a particular rite or chant.

(Source: De Musica Sacra (1958)

You can of course use these pieces as votive music at an EF Low Mass.
  • chonakchonak
    Sed contra:

One of Fr. Z's recent threads pointed out that occasionally a liturgical directive is not exactly a law. In that case, to deviate from it might not be illicit.

One way to tell whether laws are involved is to consider the type of document. An instruction does not define laws, but gives guidance for the implementation of existing law.

Since the 1958 De musica sacra is an instruction, it's not law by itself, and there may be some flexibility to deviate from new norms it prescribed.

If it were a law, then to deviate from it, one would need a dispensation from the appropriate pastoral authority, the bishop or priest. But it's not law by itself, and deviating from a norm is a lesser matter, so -- and here I give an opinion -- if the celebrating priest approves of the music, it's legal.

(Added:) The Ecclesia Dei commission is the curial authority for guidance in matters of the EF, but -- based on their advice to inquirers -- it seems to be taking a relaxed approach to questions of music. After all, church law is written to be interpreted using a Roman mentality, not the rather more legalistic and fussy American approach to law.
  • So are you saying the Chant Abreges is not allowed now either? What about the Rossini propers, which are not properly psalm tones?

I see what you are saying and I am wondering if the 1958 law still holds weight today. A letter to the Ecclesia Dei Commission would probably be necessary to answer the question properly.

Hrm.
  • Chrism
    This Instruction gives the authoritative interpretation of the Sacred Congregation of Rites in a serious matter. It should not be ignored or disobeyed for just any reason. Here is the footnote for the document:

This instruction on sacred music, and the sacred liturgy was submitted to His Holiness Pope Pius XII by the undersigned Cardinal Prefect of the Sacred Congregation of Rites. His Holiness deigned to give his special approval and authority to all its prescriptions. He also commanded that it be promulgated, and be conscientiously observed by all to whom it applies.

The Ecclesia Dei Commission recently referred an inquirer about music rules to Mills's books, which means that they consider all the pre-1962 laws in effect at the EF, as modified by custom and usage.

Not sure why you think that Rossini is not a Psalm tone. I like your work in particular, but flaunting this rule without establishing a limited exception for a non-modifying excision approach would open the EF to a massive onslaught of abuse and deformation. Publicizing these Propers will create an "alternative Propers" category for the EF. Please consider getting the project blessed through appropriate channels before publication.
  • Chrism
    So are you saying the Chant Abreges is not allowed now either?

I mentioned the Abregé in my first comment. Did you read it?
  • Hi Chrism,

No reason to get argumentative here...

I'm not flaunting anything, I merely created an alternative chant and shared it here for opinions and because I thought some might be interested.

Yes I read your first comment... Which is why I asked you the question. Abreges was published in 1926, before De Musica Sacra, and is not mentioned in that document. I'm sure there are EF scholas using them. But if it's illicit then someone ought to make that apparent.
  • Chrism
    1) If there are EF scholas using them, then custom would pertain to them in those scholas, whether illicit or not.

2) They claim to be "ancient Psalmodic melodies" and they quote the Sacred Congregation of Rites protocol (no. 3697) allowing Psalm tones which was later incorporated into De Musica Sacra. Thus they at least claim to be in compliance. (Incidentally, they include a disclaimer saying that they can't be used wherever the choir is capable of singing the full Gregorian melody.) Rossini also makes the same claim.
  • chonakchonak
    Who decides whether the choir is capable? Why, the priest, of course; in practice, he delegates the decision to the choir director.

Who decides whether a given composition is a forbidden chant adaptation or a work of modern sacred music?

Oh: now that leads to an idea! ossian, publish your works under the title Forbidden Chants, and they'll fly off the shelves!
  • Chrism
    I wasn't talking about capability, but about disclaimers on sheet music.

Modern plainsong does not qualify as licit modern sacred music, according to De Musica Sacra:

7. Modern sacred music is likewise sung in many voice-parts, but at times with instrumental accompaniment. Its composition is of more recent date, and in a more advanced style, developed from the previous centuries. When this music is composed specifically for liturgical use it must be animated by a spirit of devotion, and piety; only on this condition can it be admitted as suitable accompaniment for these services.
  • chonakchonak
    My hat's off to you, Chrism, for your thoroughness. I've tossed out some arguments, which you've batted back. Still, I doubt the Church intends to hold the proscription against mitigated chant settings any more.

If I were directing music somewhere, I'd have reason to write to Ecclesia Dei about it, but I expect their reaction would be: "These Americans are so legalistic; why do they take our time with such questions? Nobody followed the rule then, in practice it never went into force, and nobody's making people follow it now. They should just understand what the ideal is, and work toward it."

Come to think of it, rather than taking up Rome's time, I'd probably just call the diocesan director of worship, who would have the local ordinary's delegated authority to dispense from the rule, which would be enough to satisfy even the strict, scrupulous observers of 1958 De musica sacra (and of course you are not alone in that camp). Much simpler.
  • Chrism
    Still, I doubt the Church intends to hold the proscription against mitigated chant settings any more.

I don't see why not. Many statements from Church authorities and officials over the past three years have indicated consistently that the rules of the EF continue to bind at the EF, even notwithstanding Canons.

De Musica Sacra indicates therein certain parts that the local Ordinary can dispense from. Chant melodies is not one of those parts. I doubt the Vatican ever intended for each diocese to have its own Graduale in Latin. Rossini and the publishers of the Chants Abregés followed the rule, or at least respected its authority, and both are still considered worthy of use today.

I would of course welcome the Ecclesia Dei Commission's decision on the matter, and I heartily suggest ossian 1898 to obtain their approval before publishing.
  • Maureen
    But... if Chrism is correct in his interpretation... the Graduale Simplex would be illegal. And it clearly is not, being an official Vatican publication and (much though we sometimes deprecate it) specifically given as a source in GIRM. The reason both Chants Abreges and the Graduale Simplex got approved and published is because it's the kind of thing the Vatican wanted people to do, not because they wanted to create a huge honking exception in the middle of a vast melismatic plain.

But any chain of reasoning really really doesn't matter, because at present, "alius cantus aptus" covers plainsong as well as every other type of music. De Musica Sacra isn't out of force; but on this particular provision of the law, it has to sit and spin just like everything else.

Alius vincit omnia.
  • Chrism
    Maureen, the Graduale Simplex was authorized by Sacrosanctum Concilium (1963) and reauthorized by Musicam Sacram (1967). It is for the Novus Ordo, where it is completely licit.

The discussion has been about the EF, where only the 1962 laws still apply, as modified only by particular law for the EF (i.e., instructions of the Ecclesia Dei Commission issued after 1984). The Graduale Simplex is not authorized for the EF.

"Alius cantus aptus" is a phrase derived from GIRM, which does not apply at the EF. You cannot use "alius cantus aptus" at the EF.

As I mentioned earlier, I think ossian 1898's work would be an excellent contribution to the OF, but that he should seek permission from the competent Roman authority before publishing for the EF something in plain violation of its laws. I've also hinted that he should add the standard disclaimer to the music, that it is not to be sung where it is possible to sing the chants from the Graduale Romanum (Liber). If he does receive permission, he should include that fact in the front matter of his book.
  • First off, I have *zero* intention of violating any laws. So before I or anyone uses my particular chant at the EF as a proper of the Mass I will be seeking some sort of approval and/or permission to use it.

Secondly - I have no idea whether or not I will publish anything. If I do, and I hope to be able to, and they are not approved for EF then I will adapt them to the OF. They are meant to encourage the singing of chant by choirs who are struggling by offering a simpler way of doing so.

Thirdly, I think we should seek an Ecclesia Dei instruction on this. As well informed as Chrism seems to be, he is not a competent authority. I mean no offense by that Chrism.
  • I have just been reading De Musica Sacra and there are a ton of things not done now which it talks about. For instance, take a look at this:

The Commentator
    96. The active participation of the faithful can be more easily brought about with the help of a commentator, especially in holy Mass, and in some of the more complex liturgical ceremonies. At suitable times he should briefly explain the rites themselves, and the prayers of the priest and ministers; he should also direct the external participation of the congregation, that is, their responses, prayers, and singing. Such a commentator may be used if the following rules are observed:

a) The role of commentator should properly be carried out by a priest or at least a cleric. If none is available, a layman of good Christian character, and well instructed in his duties may fill the role. Women, however, may never act as commentator; in case of necessity, a woman would be permitted only to lead the prayers, and singing of the congregation.
    b) If the commentator is a priest or a cleric, he should wear a surplice, and stand in the sanctuary or near the Communion rail, or at the lectern or pulpit. If he is a layman, he should stand in a convenient place in front of the congregation, but not in the sanctuary or in the pulpit.
    c) The explanations and directions to be given by the commentator should be prepared in writing; they should be brief, clear, and to the point; they should be spoken at a suitable time, and in a moderate tone of voice; they should never interfere with the prayers of the priest who is celebrating. In short, they should be a real help, and not a hindrance to the devotion of the congregation.
    d) In directing the prayers of the congregation, the commentator should recall the prescriptions given above in paragraph 14c.
    e) In those places where the Holy See has permitted the reading of the Epistle and Gospel in the vernacular after the Latin text has been chanted, the commentator may not substitute for the celebrant, deacon, or subdeacon in reading them.
    f) The commentator should follow the celebrant closely, and so accompany the sacred action that it is not delayed or interrupted, and the entire ceremony carried out with harmony, dignity, and devotion.

When was the last time you saw a commentator at your local EF Mass?

And this one, which applies to my situation, being that I am teaching sacred music in a private EF school:

106. In private or elementary schools the following directions should be observed:

a) If the schools are conducted by Catholics, and are free to set up their own programs, the school children are to be given additional training in sacred music, and hymn. Above all, they are to be more thoroughly instructed in the holy sacrifice of the mass, adapted to their own age level, and in the manner of participating in it; they should also be taught to sing the simpler Gregorian melodies."

My chant is in fact primarily an adaptation for the students. Again I will seek competent opinion in this matter before I do anything, but there are a lot of interesting tidbits in De Musica Sacra...
  • Ok, tossing a comment in here for no particular reason: I don't buy the argument that this isn't allowed. If Byrd can write Mass propers in his own polyphonic form, surely a simplified chant is licit. Mrs. Ward did this constantly with her kids. I'm almost at a loss as to what to say about the contrary claim.
  • Chrism
    ossian1898: No offense taken. If I were a competent authority, I could dispense you from the law.
  • Chrism
    ossian1898: Commentator is a licit option at the priest's discretion which is taught in traditional seminaries in case anyone ever encounters it. "The simpler Gregorian melodies" means for example Gloria XV.
  • Chrism
    ossian1898: "we should seek an Ecclesia Dei instruction on this"

I think you should seek permission for your work. If you make the request in the form of a question, and they give a formal response, then CMAA can publicize the response to your question.

I would strongly reject any suggestion that CMAA or its officers should seek any modification of the provisions of Summorum Pontificum, especially with regards to importing newer norms. Such an effort could make life difficult for CMAA members in existing traditional communities, and make it more difficult to bring CMAA's resources to improve the music of the EF.
  • oh please.
  • Chrism
    Jeffrey Tucker: You'll really have to ask St. Pius X and his successors why he mandated the Vatican edition of the Graduale, but allowed polyphony. Why is Byrd allowed, and also modern choral work, but only Psalm tones and recto tono for monophony?

I think one main reason may be that it's a lot easier to impose bad monophony in the Propers than it bad polyphony (with weekly rehearsal). You say "simplified chant" -- what defines that, modality and square notes? Gather Us In is modal, and can be written in square notes. With enough cutting and pasting, you might even be able to claim it is derived from historical chant books. If ossian1898's work in stripping melismas is blessed for that reason, then fine, but I don't think it should be able to start a trend of writing simple melodies of all sorts. And I think this is a battle worth fighting.

I'm a fan of promoting any and all Propers for the OF, as a way of restoring form to the wasteland of the modern praxis. At the EF, however, I think branding one's own chant is generally deformative. Richard Rice did an excellent job combining the options in his simplified Graduale.

BTW, I thought Mrs. Ward's Propers were based on Psalm tones and recto tono. If anyone knows differently, please post a reference.
  • Chrism
    Jeffrey Tucker: Are you saying that you want to petition for modification of Summorum Pontificum?

And in your name, or that of CMAA?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    What if they were sung by people of different voice parts (men and women; adults and children)
    Then they would be in different octaves.
    Which means they aren't monophonic anymore- they're just very, very basic Polyphony.
    Now they're allowed!
  • 21. c) But if for some reason a choir cannot sing one or another liturgical text according to the music printed in the liturgical books, the only permissible substitution is this: that it be sung either recto tono, i.e., on a straight tone, or set to one of the psalm tones. Organ accompaniment may be used. Typical reasons for permitting such a change are an insufficient number of singers, or their lack of musical training, or even, at times, the length of a particular rite or chant.

chrism, you totally misunderstand this directive. you seem to imply, for instance, that no other option to sing the text is allowed. however, for example, polyphonic propers ARE allowed to be sung and have always been allowed. so are modern compositions. in point of fact, the 'rule' you cite is nothing else except a reminder that the official chant books of the church must be used, as opposed to, e.g., ratisbon... if this rule truly meant what you claim, no 'imprimatur' could dispense with it....
  • miacoyne
    So, it's ok for anybody to change melodies of Propers of Gregorian chant and sing it in EF Mass without a persmission from the authority?( we are not talking about a couple of different notes from different manuscripts, but a siginificant changes.) Although I appreciate ossian1898's effort and music, this sounds a bit strange to me. (or is it supposed to be for OF?)
    I think it's a different matter from singing it in octaves, because the original melody is still preserved, or singing in psalm tones. (Chant Abreges has a permission, correct?)
  • You know, if you fear that the Vatican police will arrest you for simplifying a melody, I would recommend against it.
  • Chrism
    BachLover: you totally misunderstand this directive. you seem to imply, for instance, that no other option to sing the text is allowed. however, for example, polyphonic propers ARE allowed

If you review the post you are quoting, you will find that I said "The only allowed options at the EF are the chants in the book, Psalm tones, recto tono, or polyphony".

the official chant books of the church must be used, as opposed to, e.g., ratisbon

Exactly. What principle would allow the cutting of melismas, but disallow Ratisbon? Is that principle derived from the text of the applicable legislation?

if this rule truly meant what you claim, no 'imprimatur' could dispense with it

An interesting point. The Abregés claims to be Psalm-based, and claims also to be allowed under the rule. And by "Imprimatur" I mean that someone with authority has apparently approved that interpretation after reviewing the material. So the rule stands as written, and the Abregés can be sung, and we can all be happy.
  • miacoyne
    I don't think it's about Vatican police, but preserving melodies of Gregorian Propers. Someone like ossian can do a good job in modifying the melodies, and for good reason, but there are people who can actually deform the melody, and how would you stop them once people start doing it?. So we will be hearing unlimited variants of Gregorian melodies in EF?
  • Mia, really, these things tend to work themselves out without rules and coercion and stuff.
  • If you review the post you are quoting, you will find that I said "The only allowed options at the EF are the chants in the book, Psalm tones, recto tono, or polyphony".

i don't see a single, solitary thing about polyphony:

21. c) But if for some reason a choir cannot sing one or another liturgical text according to the music printed in the liturgical books, the only permissible substitution is this: that it be sung either recto tono, i.e., on a straight tone, or set to one of the psalm tones. Organ accompaniment may be used. Typical reasons for permitting such a change are an insufficient number of singers, or their lack of musical training, or even, at times, the length of a particular rite or chant.

...are you adding things on your own authority? if so, then this should be stated. for myself, i prefer the authority of pius xii.
  • How about this solution.

We sing the offertory proper in Psalm-Tone first and then my new composition as an extra, as if we would otherwise sing a Salve Regina or some other non-liturgical chant? In my schola experience it is not uncommon to sing the proper and then motet or faux bourdon version of the same text.

So this could be a real workaround.
  • I can promise everyone that there is not one person at Ecclesia Dei who would have a problem with simplifying chants if there is a need. I can see the rolled eyes now at the very question.
  • chonakchonak
    Considering the alterations they have authorized for the EF (e.g., vernacular readings in place of Latin), that's what I'd expect too.
  • Chrism
    Then ask for permission. Just don't put CMAA's name on the request, unless it is done in a very restrictive way and will not be seen by observers as challenging Summorum Pontificum. For example, some of the arguments made by participants on the thread about the non-applicability of pre-1962 rules at the EF would be extremely and needlessly controversial if adopted as policies by CMAA.
  • Chrism
    BachLover2: It's in #'s 6 and 7.
  • Chrism
    ossian1898: Sounds licit to me. Would be great to have that suggested use written on the sheet music you are producing.
  • Heath
    Ossian: do you have your promised adaptation for this week (Precatus est)? This one is an absolute beast!
  • eft94530eft94530
    ossian: teaching chant to high schoolers, I need some simpler chants.

Why not request a CMAA flash-mob project ...

"Hello everyone, please help me go through the EF Graduale and grade all the chants"

Another google spreadsheet of 150+ rows
    and several columns
    --Graduale page number
    --sunday identifier and proper identifier (IN, GR, AL/TR, OF, CO)
    --incipit to be graded
    --five columns labeled super-easy, easy, average, difficult, super-difficult
    and then people put their initials into the column of their choice as their vote.

The results might be useful to lots of people,
    from music class use to implementing chant in the parishes.
  • it seems obvious to me that his composition qualifies as a modern setting....and jeff tucker is right about ecclesia dei
  • Maureen
    Hey, the video on Sacred or Secular says that the closer a piece is to Gregorian chant, the better. So obviously, a piece that's a very very close modification of a specific chant is super better!

(As long as you let your choir know that it's modified, so that if there's a nuclear war and they have to rely on their memories, they won't introduce false historico-musical data into the repertoire, that is.)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    This is an interesting question. I would suggest that Pius XII was basically reaffirming that the Editio Vaticana is still the official version of the Church, and no other editions are. I do know for a fact that many Churches (including the Sistine Chapel) have sometimes sung variants of the Chant, especially medieval variants from their own church's history. Are they to be condemned? Surely the directors of the Sistine knew very well the words of both Pius X and Pius XII. Again, I would suggest that the "rule" quoted above is merely an affirmation that the Editio Vaticana is the official version of the Western Rite, and no other edition is.
  • But Jeff, wouldn't that imply that the Church's rules on this are reasonable and normal and not egregious and crazy, that the Church is just stating what is obvious and expected and not imposing some huge burden that attacks scholarship and makes life especially difficult for no good reason? I sure hope you aren't suggesting that because if you are, I might doubt your traditionalist credentials!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Jeffrey, I am not an expert in these matters. I do know for a fact that Pius X stuck his neck out when he IMPOSED the Editio Vaticana (by a juridical code) on the Church. No other edition had ever been imposed on the Church. The Editio Medicaea was NOT imposed on the Church. The Pustet editions were NOT imposed on the Church (although some Bishops got that impression).

I feel that St. Pius X did a very wonderful thing, imposing the Vatican Edition on the entire Church. HOWEVER, I feel some people will criticize Pius X for doing this, and I understand why they do. De Santi claims that Pius X NEVER intended to suppress local chant variants, but (as we know), for whatever reason, it did not turn out that way...
  • Heath
    Pushing this post back up, as the adapted offertory is for this weekend . . . and I spent a looong time trying to find this thread! (Kept searching for "oravi" but wasn't having luck!)

This setting as well as Ossian's Si Ambulavero are very nice, and very timely: my students just returned, and it's hard for them to tackle this string of difficult offertories after a "chant-less summer."

Ossian, did you post the aforementioned adaptation of "Sanctificavit", by chance? That one's for next week!