Their generational clout is waning
  • Kathy
    On a completely non-liturgical subject, someone recently made this blog comment:

"This article read to me as the venting of someone who seems to have realized that her generational clout is waning and she doesn’t like the priorities of those who are now coming of age."

The commentator was describing a rather bitter interview article with a feminist professor about the resurgence of stay-at-home motherhood. But it could well describe many, many things written today about liturgy.

(Obviously age is not really a number here, even more than in most areas of life. One could be 26 and of the waning ideology, or 60 and of the ascendancy. What matters is: where does the momentum lie?)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Dangerous- once the momentum lay with the hippies. Or the Nazis. Or the Communists. Or the whoever.

What's important is not whether you are part of a burgeoning movement.
    What's important is whether your ideas are true.
  • True ideas!
    Hear! Hear!
  • Kathy
    True ideas, on the ascendancy! Huzzah!
  • don roy
    adam
    i am continually impressed with your ability to say exactly what needs to be said.

harrumph!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Whoa!
    Thank you so much for that.
  • CharlesW
    Gather us in,
    the old and the flaky.
    Gather us in,
    the hippies of yore.
    Gather us in,
    the senile and kinky.
    We were the young in 1964.
  • Liam
    What ascends, descends. Just remember that.
  • Okay, I have made a promise to self not to be petulant. And I kinda get what Liam's saying; in my case its the descent into the Piaget Curve late stages. That said,
    Charles t Byz, I get the "senile." "Kinky," still? Not so much.
    That was pleasant....
  • Kathy
    Ok, my bad. I should not have expressed this at any point in generational terms. A look around a CMAA event shows that the side of righteousness need not be necessarily old or young. And yet, look at all those kids!

Liam, I think you're mistaken. What ascends for all the wrong reasons, descends. What ascends because of justice, need not descend.
  • Liam
    Not petulant like this, right?

Gather us in,
    the Right-Thinking(TM) people;
    Gather us in,
    who know so much more;
    Gather us in,
    the young and the snarky:
    We'll become old after B16's gone.
  • Liam
    Kathy,

Even things that ascend for the right reasons very very often, in this mortal plane, descend, and often also for right reasons.
  • Kathy
    I don't think it's a matter of knowledge. Restoring the vertical dimension to the liturgy is a simple matter of justice. Restoring some sense of beauty to the liturgy is a perennial magisterial mandate, as well as a matter of justice.

And I don't think the ROtR has any monopoly on snark.
  • Not this time, Liam. I'm trying to practice what I preach. 'Twas funny, tho', both parodies.
  • Liam
    I am not saying it does. You need not be so defensive; your greatest strength, in fact, is in being intimately in touch with your real and perceived vulnerabilities (however just or unjustly perceived).

But where you see eternal verities as the foundation of what you propose, other people see other things also at work, and a more mixed picture as a result. And those other people are not all aging hippy dinosaurs.

In any event, there's a reason that one of the Roman sayings refers to thin popes being followed by fat popes.
  • Liam
    Charles

The one needed a bookend.
  • Liam
    And, I should add with regard to fat and thin popes, that the focus of Catholics on the episodic agendas of a given pope is a relatively modern development, not traditional at all. Roman culture, starting before the advent of Christianity but very much historically including Vatican culture, has a deep aversion to combining charisma and power, and therefore a wariness of depending too much on the person and personality of a given leader.

Catholics of all flavors - radicals, progressives, liberals, middling sort, conservatives, traditionalists, reactionaries - in our day and age are very prone to getting overly attached to papal/episcopal/pastoral personalities and agendas.

Beware the temptation, which can hide beneath very noble layers.
  • Kathy
    I'm confused. Am I the one in touch with my vulnerabilities, or is that Charles?
  • GavinGavin
    I think the primary difference between my generation and the boomers is that we don't seem as driven by ideology. Probably most women my age won't wind up being stay-at-home-moms, and consider the idea ridiculous. But they're not going to get upset because someone else decides the opposite. Same thing with the liturgy. For the "progressives" of the past, certain music and liturgical custom is associated with their vision of the Church. I think those that pretend members of my generation all like chant and organ are quite confused. But I'd say we're on a whole more open-minded to things we consider a matter of preference (like liturgy and music) than the generations who put a lot at stake to change things around.

I've yet to meet a single Catholic near my age who prefers solemn liturgy, whom I didn't meet at Mass or through a musical/liturgical forum. But I've also yet to meet one who rejects the idea of chant entirely, and have met very few who have objections to Latin. If anything is true of (most of) us, it's that we're largely untainted by the "liturgy wars", whatever side our preferences lie.
  • don roy
    liam

"what goes up must come down. .."
    tell that to my hairline!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    and to my sopranos!
  • dad29
    Fr. G. Rutler (NYC) recently wrote a column in which he asserted that the Boomers were the bitter clingers (to the banners-and-cookies liturgy).
  • CharlesW
    As a Boomer who never bought into the 60s garbage, I would have to say we are not the only age group who are bitter clingers. I know plenty of late 20s and 30-somethings who are also in that category.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    fr. george rutler's article was truly brilliant
  • Kathy
    Of course Fr. Rutler is (just barely) a boomer, too.
  • Chesterton has a working zinger for this phenonemon,
    'Whoever is married to the spirit of the age is divorced in the next'.

At 37, I'm now trying not to be too snarky, as my waning years aren't all that far away. And I feel sad for folks who cling to an idea of service that has been more about power and control than sacrifice. The more ego gets caught up in church work, this becomes a huge temptation for anyone. It can happen with clubists in any generation, and it is bitter to observe it happening now.

I turn to one blog for wit and wisdom, but I have to filter through so much rebel talk and wounded pride it can be rough to glean anything valuable. Maybe it's increasingly important to pray for these folks, who still have so much to give if they could see past clique thinking.

They could finish their years kicking at goads or they could truly serve the family (Church) that needs them.
  • Kathy
    It's sad, isn't it?

Every once in a while it seems like the snark recedes and there might be an opening for dialogue. And then the snark flares up again. The force of bitter anger is pitiable.

It's like trying to free a trapped wolf.
  • Kathy
    I think the wit/wisdom authority has just outdone itself. The post is a lament over a break in the ELCA, followed by an old ICEL-ish prayer for Christian unity. Such heartbreak, such schism! But all mention of the reasons for the break--the usual--is verboten.

Utter fascism.

I happen to know something about the problems in the ELCA. What happened was, the entire ELCA was surveyed. In other words, the "sense of the faithful" was sought. The response was what one might expect of religious people.

But oh wait, the professional elite pushed their own agenda:
    http://archive.elca.org/ScriptLib/CO/ELCA_News/encArticleList.asp?article=3039

In response, the Churchwide Assembly, ignoring the faithful, implemented this:
    http://www.elca.org/What-We-Believe/Social-Issues/Social-Statements/JTF-Human-Sexuality/cwafaqs.aspx

Here's the timeline:
    http://www2.elca.org/lutheranpartners/archives/0507_08.html

How's that for ecclesiology?