Arbogast Propers, Worth Saving?
  • Probably the most urgent need in the world of the ordinary form today is a book of chanted propers, rooted in Psalm tones, to use with cantor only or whatever singers happen to be around. Sadly, none exists. Until there is a viable solution here, we will not have a single book to recommend to typical parishes as a means of curing random-song addiction.

The Anglican Use Gradual is solid, and I like it but the language is several centuries apart from the new Missal or Graduale texts.

I wonder how many of you have looked carefully at http://musicasacra.com/books/completeenglishpropers.pdf

I've been singing through them and I really like the way they work. They seem designed for real-world liturgy, and they are pretty. They are pitched too high for current singers and the transposition is a pill (for me) because of the modern notes.

They are also old calendar - with no mention of the Latin root. So it is all a pain in the neck to use.

But here is what I'm wondering. Are these worth saving?
  • Maureen
    Why shouldn't they be saved? It sounds like indexing is the real usability problem here, with the other stuff secondary. The old calendar thing would become a problem in Years B and C, I grant you.
  • CharlesW
    I like them. If they were in square notes, I wouldn't use them. I have too many things to do now, without taking on teaching a new system of notation to people who already read music. It would be great if they could be indexed to the new calendar.
  • Hmmm, interesting. So is anyone willing to create an index to bring these alive for the new calendar? Any takers? I should could use it
  • Heath
    I've used them a couple of times . . . at the very least, don't take them away!
  • Really, I didn't mean take them away. I meant, should they be rehabilitated with a new edition structured for the OF.
  • CharlesW
    As one who isn't very familiar with the EF, how much would it take to make them useful for the OF? Would there be gaps in them?
  • They would be gaps, yes, but 4/5 of the chants would be there (approx.)
  • Maureen
    Btw, it's amazing how stupid it is to call the Alleluia verse a "Meditation Song". Arrrrrrgh, the pain!

I've got an old missal and a new missal with propers, so I can index 'em for you if you want. What format (of files and information) are you looking for?
  • Just a list that we can tack on to the online PDF. That would be great!
  • Aaron
    I find it interesting that the Alleluia has for text only one Alleluia, rather than the more common today of three or four times through. Have we lost the distinction of the Easter Vigil triple Alleluia? How many does the current Lectionary list?
  • CharlesW
    Yes, we have lost the distinction of the triple alleluia. The ones in the hymnal typically have three or more for use outside of Lent and Advent.
  • Maureen
    I can do lists. :) I'll get started today, then.
  • Maureen
    Well, I've started. I got through Cycle A. There's actually quite a lot of Cycle B and C that uses the exact same Introits and Communion antiphons, so it will probably go pretty fast. The big problem is finding the out of place bits. I think pretty much all the same psalms are in both lectionaries, but they're totally jumbled up. So tomorrow, I can go looking for the psalms in the OF lectionary.
  • Thank you so much for doing this!!!
  • I'm holding my breath. This will be like Christmas in August!
  • Maureen
    This is taking a bit longer than I thought. While I realized that Psalm numbering in Arbogast was old-style Catholic, and that the current lectionary uses the new style of citation... I didn't realize that this didn't just change the numbering of the Psalms, but the numbering also of tons and tons of individual verses, even within Psalm unchanged in number.

Am I missing some kind of standard EF/OF lectionary conversion worksheet? I don't mind doing work, but repeating work seems silly.
  • Chrism
    Maureen, why are you using the OF Lectionary instead of the 1974 Graduale?
  • Maureen
    Re: why not 1974 Graduale?

Because I didn't know it was relevant, as I've never seen or possessed one, nor have any idea where to download such a thing (unless it's hidden somewhere on Musica Sacra)? Heh. Now you begin to understand the depths of my ignorance, and why I'm eager to perform a gruntwork task like indexing.

I sincerely thank you for giving me this Graduale clue, as I see via Wikipedia that there _is_ a nice table on the website here which I had no idea existed. It's in Latin, though, so I'll still need my EF missal for the Latin names (unless I want to play searchie-searchie with drbo.org or the Clementine Vulgate), and my OF missal for a big chunk of saints' days that are in Arbogast and aren't on this chart. Still, it's quite a speed boost.

(But why does the 1974 chart even list graduals and tracts? I didn't think the OF had either one. I thought it was all responsorial psalms all the time, unless you "alius cantus aptus". (I realize these sorts of questions have probably been covered elsewhere, so let me know where to look.))

There's always something new to learn here.... :)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Maureen, regarding Masses in the Ordinary Form:

There are various options for the chant after the 1st Reading:

The song after the lessons, be it in the form of gradual or responsorial psalm, has a special importance among the songs of the Proper. By its very nature, it forms part of the Liturgy, of the Word. It should be performed with all seated and listening to it -- and, what is more, participating in it as far as possible.

Musicam Sacram

There are also several options for the chant after the 2nd Reading (Gregorian Alleluia Verse, Alleluiatic Psalm, or Gospel Acclamation).
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Yet another reason we need an FAQ section....
  • Maureen
    Several FAQ sections, maybe. Maybe some "If you're looking for X, click here" would be useful.

It's going a lot faster now (as usually happens when you finish indexing), so I think I'll be done tonight. Since I won't have to troll through the lectionary for psalms now, I guess I don't need the citation conversions now, either. (Yay!)
  • fantastic!!!
  • Maureen
    I've sent you the lists this morning. Let me know if you get them all right, and if you want more sorting or features.

I hope the ellipses won't be a problem -- but the ones you may want to remove are all detached, while the ones you may want to keep are attached to words (which should make sorting or deleting easier).

Oh, and the A or B or C cycle are only noted on the index by OF calendar where a piece is not ABC for that day. I'm really surprised that, since the OF propers change so little from year to year, the greater ease of use doesn't make them more popular. But then, they don't get the publicity for people to even know they exist.
  • THANK YOU Maureen! It is done done done. These are now opened up!!

Arbogast Propers with Indexes for Ordinary Form Use
  • incantuincantu
    I'm not sure what some mean by suggesting that the triple Alleluia has been "lost." Lost from what? From my point of voice it's only a recent innovation, and one that still seems to be in widespread use. The actual Alleluias in the Gradual are very different from the triple alleluia refrains currently in vogue with the major publishers.

Also, the Alleluia is a meditation song, is it not? Although the procession with the book of Gospels may take place during the singing of this chant (probably on the final Alleluia only), the structure of this chant more closely resembles the other meditation song (the Gradual) than that of the processional chants.
  • Maureen
    The psalms, and even the Alleluia verse, are readings, not musical interludes to which we may think beautiful thoughts -- unless you count the other readings and the Gospel as also interludes to which we may think beautiful thoughts. Also, it sounds lame. As a child of the Seventies I strongly object to certain Sixties and Seventies flavors of annoying (like the poem "Desiderata", or hymns about butterflies). The good Arbogast probably didn't mean "Meditation Song" in the gutchurning way I read it; he may have even meant "meditation" in its technical St. John of the Cross sense and not in any of the common usages. But I am allergic to the merest whiff of such stuff when associated with Catholicism.

Re: psalms in general -- The more I look into patristics, the more I see that psalms are not optional pretty things to play with (which was the impression I got as a kid).Other than the Eucharist, the psalter was pretty much the foundation of all modes of Christian worship; and if you go through the propers and the Liturgy of the Hours/Divine Office, you can see that the psalms still are the foundation. It would almost be accurate to say that the first reading (where there is one), epistles, and Gospel are the treat, but the psalms are the main course. (In the sense of the old days in most cultures, when you were living off bread or rice and vegetables, though the high point of the meal was the little bit of meat or fruit or sweets.) But psalms aren't treated as a major food group at all.

The key to understanding this is the Christological lens through which the Fathers sang and read every single one of the psalms. It's not the only lens (though it's the only one I never got in school), but it's the most useful one for understanding huge chunks of their liturgical uses. Psalms should be the subject of homilies discussing their various levels, and kids should learn about them in school. (I don't say we should go back to using them as every Christian's first reading book; but every Christian should know them well.)

As for Alleluia verses... well, there's more room for calling them meditations, and often they're foretastes of the Gospel to come. But they aren't reflections on the greater message, so much as integral parts of the message -- if you're using all the propers, anyway. (Which most American parishes usually aren't -- maybe not even the right Alleluia verse for the day.) But having just spent a couple three days immersed in propers, it's hard for me to see anything else but the whole combo message, just now! :)
  • The more I look at these, the more I like them
  • Adam, I'm kind of getting the FAQ need here.
    Maureen, so- the Arbogast Proper Index you've provided does not necessarily correlate to those of the 1970 or later missals? (As I suppose is similar to Bruce Ford's settings.)
  • Maureen
    The book itself is from 1964, and was composed for that calendar and lectionary. (EF, essentially.)

The new index is from 1970 and after, and follow the OF calendar and propers lectionary.

My index leans heavily on the CMAA table of 1970 Graduale Romanum; but before that, I was working off my 2000-something St. Joseph Missal. So there are a few saints' day things that I was able to stick in from that missal, which were in the book but which weren't on the 1970 table.

Most of the changes to propers, for the 1970 GR and since, seem to have been in the direction of either creating new propers, or alternate new propers, for various occasions. The totally new 1970-and-after propers aren't in Arbogast (obviously, because nobody had thought of them yet); so there was no way or reason to include them in the index.

I may have missed out on quite a lot of possible OF applications for Commons of Saints stuff, but I couldn't find anything too informative about propers for those; and what I did find, didn't go along with the stuff I had. There's a really nice section in Arbogast for Nov. 9 (the Dedication of St. John Lateran) which is totally not usable for the OF, because the Mass "Terribilis" for the Dedication of a Church is apparently a non-starter in the OF. That sort of thing. Anyway, Arbogast wasn't really laying out chants for the Commonses, although he did put in quite a few saints' days' propers.
  • Have a look at the file and see just how useful it is . You can really find your way around.
  • Oh, indeed, it is a great index and resource, JT. Thank you, Maureen.
  • The psalms, and even the Alleluia verse, are readings

Sorry, the psalms were sung, not read. Let's not rewrite history.
  • Maureen
    Well, so were all the other Mass readings sung. "Lector" is a cantoring position. :)

Heck, when Jesus read the reading in the synagogue, he probably cantillated it. It's not something we picture in Gospel movies, but he was probably singing or chanting the prayers a lot of the time, and his disciples too. Just as Classical Roman society mostly assumed that all reading was reading out loud, a lot of people in lots of places back then seem to have assumed that all religious speech was chanting and singing (or possibly mouthing things under your breath).

If you're looking for precision of language about liturgy stuff, you're unlikely to get it from me. I've got so many different generations of terminology jumbled up in my head that I'll never be able to keep them straight. And if I start calling them "Scripture selections" or something, I'll have to shoot myself. (Especially since there's "lection" again....)

Of course, I could call them "lessons". Old French lecon, from Latin lectionem, lectio, "reading", from legere, "to read". There's no getting away from the verb legere!
  • God's blessing be on you, Maureen, for doing this. How wonderful.
  • Please, someone shoot me if Psalms were not sung in old testament days. Preferably with a Buckaroo Banzai Raygun.

Lect
    ORIGIN late Middle English : from Latin, from lect- ‘read, chosen,’ from the verb legere.

Cant
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: from Latin, ‘singer,’ from canere ‘sing.’

Please do not let this distract from the fact that Maureen has done a real service here. THANK YOU, MAUREEN!
  • Maureen
    I think we are talking past each other. Of course psalms were sung. Everything that was regarded at Holy Scripture at Mass was probably sung, just like everything that was Holy Scripture at a synagogue was probably sung. That was my point -- that calling the Liturgy of the Word stuff "readings" is perfectly normal, and doesn't imply that they aren't sung. "Those thingummies that change every day" isn't particularly respectful as a name for the ensemble of all the "Scriptural selections" for the day, including psalms, canticles, et al.

You probably already know that one of Tertullian's list of joys of marrying a Christian wife was that you could have somebody to sing the hours' psalms antiphonally with, even when you were home alone.

I realize I'm not terribly coherent today; I'm full of nervous energy and can't sleep. You'd be better off ignoring my sad attempts at wit, before I start proposing that we call most of the NT "memoirs of the Apostles", like Justin Martyr trying to explain Mass to the Emperor and Senate.

----

Anyway, circling back around to the original point which I may finally have understood as referring to the book and not to what one calls the Liturgy of the Word readings...

Every single text printed in the Arbogast Propers is supposed to be chanted. However, pretty much all your Alleluia _verses_ and tracts aren't scored in Arbogast. If you read the book's original foreword, Arbogast is assuming that for those particular unscored bits, you'll just follow your own devices to chant them, like psalm tones and such. The foreword is full of all kinds of information and a list of four ways to chant and all that sort of thing that I don't particularly understand, but which I encourage other people to knock themselves out with. This is the sort of thing they did in the Sixties and Seventies; and if you've put it out of your mind or never experienced it, you're lucky.

There are also a bunch of extra Communion psalms in an appendix in the back, also printed without music, also meant to be chanted or sung to some melody of your own personal choice. They're not in the index because they weren't in the lectionary.

Seriously, I'm not the person to ask about this stuff. You're a lot better off reading the book for yourself. I just index things.
  • Chrism
    So he is NOT assuming that you chant the Alleluia & Tract according to the same tone in which you chanted the Gradual?
  • There are specific instructions for what is to be sung and said at Mass, and there always have been, priests came out of the seminary knowing and able to sing the Mass up until the seventies.

And this was the tradition of the church. Unfortunately it is blurred now in current practice. It was common practice to chant all the propers in psalm tones in many churches, including the parish that the Colloquium was held in this year. That parish of all parishes!

However, the goal was always to sing at the highest level possible. So if Fr. Rossini in Pittsburgh had singers who could sing the propers from the Graduale Romanum, I am sure they did so.

However, in this English chant, they were adapting so I can see why some of the propers might have not been included.

Chanting was not merely a way to make the Mass more solemn, but rather to make it audible. Turn off the electricity to see what that means. The parts of the Mass that were considered to be most important to be heard by the people were sung/chanted by the priest and choir so that all could hear the words.

Words that were not as important to be heard were said.

Words that were determined by the church to be said silently or under the voice were also marked and the rules followed.

The current belief that everyone should be able to hear everything makes everything equally important.

Of course, if you have a priest who insists on saying Hello at the beginning of Mass and personalizing everything, he has totally lost the understanding that the Mass is not about him and us.
  • I'm not sure I follow the controversy, if there is one, but let me just propose something here for someone.

I've now sung these entrance antiphons with a choir and many on my own. I'm EXTREMELY impressed with them. They are rooted in Gregorian melodies. He adapts them all very well. But the modern notation is a real problem, a barrier to singing.

In my own view, they need to be redone on a four-line staff with square notes. If anyone is looking for a great project, one that could have a fantastic influence over the next stage of liturgical music development, I would suggest taking this one. Not the Graduals; just the introits.

Write me or reply here if you agree or are interested.
  • I'm not sure I follow the controversy,.....In my own view, they need to be redone on a four-line staff with square notes.

I agree with your first statement, but think you've manufactored a new controversy with your second proposal. What rationale would be served by rescoring the Arbogast to neumes? It seems that the good Father's opus was a "Rosetta Stone" like effort to help propagate and proliferate the use of "chant" as the setting for English translations. My "catholic" experience doesn't go back to '64, but common sense suggests that familiarity with "modern notation" among liturgical musicians was the prime mover in the Arbogast project. And that rationale still could be efficacious today. Resetting them for scholas conversant with square notes would either be motivated by an intentional interest to use those specific settings, or by an adherence to an idealistic notion of unity of form. As illustrated by your "Fourteen Introits" article, there's plenty good room for all such versions, and likely for more innovations.
    I hope that my successor will take my gradual efforts to have our choir schooled in neumes thoroughly. But they've been singing chant (round notes) for 17+ years and polyphony as well. So, I have a critical decision to make every rehearsal: do I spend time re-inventing a wheel (music literacy) that already they use with extreme efficiency, or use the settings of either of the professors Ford or of Fr Arbogast? Jeffrey, do you see what I'm getting at? Were I to start a new schola project from the ground up, with capable singers who don't read, that's another story: PBC time definitely. Or Weber/Kelly/AUG time.
  • Maureen
    Chrism says:
    "So he is NOT assuming that you chant the Alleluia & Tract according to the same tone in which you chanted the Gradual?"

The foreword says "Care should be taken... that the various musical elements are all of corresponding modality." Also, that "The mode of the Alleluia [if you nab one from another source] should correspond to the mode used for its verse, as well as the mode of the Gradual Respond preceding it." (This is whether you're singing in unison, in harmony, or whatever.)

Seriously, the foreword is going to explain the man's thought better than I can. There are examples and everything.

(It even explains the "meditation song" thing. Apparently, that which is not a "processional chant" is automatically a "meditational chant". Shrug.)
    ----------------------

Re: controversy -- I don't think there really was one. I think I just had bad reading comprehension, thanks to ragweed and insomnia, and was also saying stuff in a crazy way. There's nothing like tired and wired to make me type stupidity.

If you want, I can delete my side of the commentary; it's just taking up space.

----------------------

Speaking of the foreword -- it says there are different arrangements of the propers for various assortments of voices (2 equal, 3 equal, SAB, SATB) "available on the card inserts". I guess we don't have those still attached to the book, but maybe people can keep an eye out?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Personally, I'm a big fan of stem-less five-line notation. People can read it. It doesn't suggest rhythm. I can write it in Finale.
    I know it isn't as good as neumes, but it's a decent compromise.

I find the stemmed, everything-is-an-eighth-note notation that seemed to have been common in the late 19th/early-mid20th cent. rather unattractive and unhelpful.
  • Maureen
    Re: neumes

The man claims that all his chant melodies are taken from previously existing chant melodies (often from the Office). It would seem likely that he picked fairly common and identifiable ones. (Although it would have made life easier if he'd come right out and identified them, as what was "common" to a Covington, KY Cathedral guy in 1964 might not be common now.)

Presumably, then, the melodies already are in neume form. Somewhere.
  • Charles, I'm not really sure what is right here. Truly. But my case for neumes involves two considerations. 1) these are pretty easy so reading the neumes would not be a big stretch, and 2) in the experience of our own choir, singers just sing better with neumes rather than mod notes. The square work as a signaling device that this is liturgical music.

But I'm kind of a believer in neumes actually. I seriously doubt that anyone can make much progress in Catholic music without learning to read them. And yes, this does ask something of people. That can be a good thing.

Somehow we need to deal with the seemingly competitive demands here: 1) accessible as possible, 2) give people a challenge so that they will take the job seriously.

The exact way this is resolved is not entirely clear.
  • I think the real point to ponder, Jeffrey, is what expedites the worship of God and the Sacrifice/Eucharist dependent upon one discipline over another? I know your story, you know mine. We're headed the same direction: you take the high road, I'll take...well, nevermind. And I know you didn't mean to indict anyone's particular musical industry, but a serious director will always challenge his choir members towards achieving more. That doesn't depend upon one specific mode of challenge. And I'd be wary of using "challenge" as a meter for assessing our volunteers' serious commitment.
  • I do fear that these kinds of questions will keep the publication of the Parish Book of English Propers forever at bay. This is my biggest worry.
  • People sing neumes different than they do modern notes, unless they learn neumes first.

I know that this sounds strange, but it is true.

There are certain things you do not do when playing melodies in baroque works when the accompaniment is harpsichord and cello continuo, the same melody that you would play much more expressively when accompanied by a modern orchestration composed by Ravel.

Stravinsky proves this in the Pulcinella Suite as he marries baropue composition with modern.

Seeing neumes reminds the singer how they should treat the notes.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I do fear that these kinds of questions will keep the publication of the Parish Book of English Propers forever at bay. This is my biggest worry.

Doesn't seem like it needs to.

I can't imagine why things there couldn't be too editions. My Church of Christ friends can get their hymnal with shape notes or with regular ones. I can get accompaniment editions to Gather Comp that have landscape format with spiral binding or 3 -hole punch.
    I don't see why there couldn't be multiple editions. I know that takes more work, but it seems feasible.

I feel like the translation issue is a much bigger problem for a bound, for-sale book.
  • francis
    I can dump this into my neumes conversion engine which scans modern notation and puts them into GC. (jk... but someone should make that engine!) I do have a drag and drop neumes file which anyone can use to set chant using In Design. These is no typesetting using this method. You just drag a neume around and put it on five lines. Very Easy.
  • francis
    Please help. I cannot get the index to work. Is there a secret?