Profession of Secular Franciscans
  • Aaron
    I have been asked to plan, play, and direct the music for an upcoming profession of secular Franciscans. I will be bringing my choir of about 25 to sing in the beautiful chapel of the mother house. They seem to be pretty open since they have never had someone bring a choir, previously it had been just organist and cantor. Previous professions included All Creatures of our God and King and the Prayer of St. Francis. Rather than the Sebastian Temple version, I was hoping to find a good choral setting, but not too difficult. Any advice or suggestions on choral settings or music in general for a Mass of secular professionl?
  • Kathy
    Aaron, take a look at In Perfect Charity by Randall DeBruyn, in the OCP publications. Verse 1 is based on St. Francis' prayer in the Portiuncula chapel.

Here are the propers for the Feast of St. Francis:
    http://vultus.stblogs.org/2006/10/mass-of-saint-francis-of-assis.html

I would also ask whether they have any songs that they sing as a group. They might have a special Salve, Regina, or another Marian antiphon or a devotional antiphon to St. Francis or Clare.
  • Aaron
    A while back, I made a version of St. Francis's Canticle of the Creatures for some local secular Franciscans. It's roughly based on the psalm tone like parts of the Te Deum and Gloria XV. The English is a composite translation. Feel free to use it if you like.
  • don roy
    there is a great setting for soloist choir and piano with oboe obbligato but i cant remember who wrote it. ill add another comment tommorow when im at church and can get my hands on a copy.
  • Do take a look at 'Most High, Omnipotent Good Lord', to the tune 'Assisi', found at no. 307 in The Hymnal 1940
    The tune is beautifully simple and chant-like, and like chant, sounds best a capella with flowing chant rhythm.
    The text is a fine version in verse of the hymn of St Francis.
    This could easily be sung at sight by the entire community.
  • CharlesW
    That is gorgeous! My choir will be learning it next week.
  • don roy
    the piece i was referring to earlier is by lee dengler.
  • Aaron
    Thanks all, this has been very helpful.
    don roy, what is the exact title or publishing information, I am having trouble finding it.
  • Aaron
    Here is the worship aid for todays Mass.