Where did this come from?
  • I am wondering if anyone can identify where this is coming from?

You all read how Donna Swan was ousted from a cathedral by being told that her title was being changed from Director of Music to Director of Music and Liturgy?

Now another musician, in this case a Roman Catholic Musica Sacra forum member, has been put in the same situation and told that he will be permitted to reapply for the job he already has?

It seems as if there must have been an article or something in a summer training session for priests that was subtitled, "How to get rid of Sacred Musicians with successful Sacred Music programs and put the person you want in the job"

Anyone have a clue? It's definitely a way to justify destroying a sacred music program when you want guitars instead.

And, as long as we are on the subject, why the heck are Catholics who love good music able to be squashed when a pastor decides to can a music program and replace the leader of the group? In a Protestant denomination, people split churches over this kind of a thing. And Protestant pastors know almost to the penny the average giving of each member, so when 10% of his people threaten to leave, he's looking at a pay cut or a new job some other place.

But in Catholic parishes firing a choir director can alienate people, choir members, their families and people in the pews who like the music. And there is no fear for what Bishop is going to come down on a priest for the decisions he makes over his musicians?

Priests work for Bishops, not for the parish council....for the parish in some cases....lihe these, it appears.

There are good priests out there and on this list, so do not paint everyone with the same brush. But....it's like the Boston bishop who closed the churches and then was assigned to...Cleveland. They knew what was coming and there was nothing, nothing they could do about it. (there are a number of pipe organs there looking for homes...and what is very sad, chalices that they will sell to anyone. Now, that's wrong.)

In some cases, trumped up charges as used to justify the firing...things that are untrue but make juicy gossip.

Here though, a valid reason is cited. "Well, we are in dire need of a person who is able to lead not just music, but also the liturgy."

Stinks. Who can tell us where the smell is coming from? With reports of job openings right now being flooded with 50 and more applications for jobs, this is a market when priests can pick and choose...and it seems some are doing just that.

Is this off-topic in this group? Is it not our responsibility to warn people who may be unaware that when they see a gate come down and hear a bell ringing that if they are on the tracks they are in imminent danger of being run down?
  • Chrism
    You all read how Donna Swan was ousted from a cathedral by being told that her title was being changed from Director of Music to Director of Music and Liturgy?

No, I didn't. That's horrible! Praying for her to find work - preferably in another Roman Catholic church of similar or greater stature.
  • jgirodjgirod
    Are there currently in the USA anything like Directors of Liturgy who would face the parallel threat of losing their job?
    If so this could be presented as cutbacks, but I doubt.
    What is (would be) the exact role of the new director on the liturgy side? Train altar boys (easy) or set a new liturgy in replacement of the liturgical books? The latter case could be a threat if church music were to lose its place in the new "liturgy".
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Noel,

If you do your research, you will find that the Vibrant Parish Life initiative in Cleveland, the umbrella initiative under which the parishes have been closed, consolidated, and merged, was actually started by Bishop Anthony Pilla, a native Clevelander who led the Cleveland diocese as diocessan bishop for 25 years. To anyone who "read the fine print" and REALLY listened to what Bishop Pilla was saying when he first rolled out Vibrant Parish Life in the late 1990's, it was obvious that some reorganization was looming on the horizon. From that time, he was "testing the waters" and saying things like "In some cases, clusters may even decide to merge or close parishes." Bishop Lennon merely continued what Bishop Pilla began - and although it has alienated some, and caused much pain, I was absolutely necessary.

To answer your question, there is really nothing you can do about it. And that is a double edged sword. Because there is also nothing that guitar loving parishes can do when a Pastor gets rid of a sub par music director and brings in one who will start a sacred music program. It is both a good and a bad thing, depending on the circumstances. It is how the Church is set up to run.
  • GavinGavin
    I saw this happen to a college professor who had been there since said college opened. The president eliminated his job as University Organist (which included duties of teaching organ AND courses) and made a full time "Professor of Church Music", to which he must re-apply - shortly before his ability to take on a full-time job was impaired by a massive tumor and his later death.

This will happen, and to be blunt I think the monarchic structure of the RCC allows for and encourages it. The best we can do is to act with sympathy whenever this happens, and not pull out the "martyr" card, nor deny support to the "other side" when it happens to them.
  • I agree with PGA and Gavin, Noel. I would describe the disparities of ecclesial politics, at best, as akin to "the wild, wild West." For a simple analogy, in the midst of a massive federalization of governmental authority you still can find a Sheriff Joe Arpaio in Arizona. (Don't flame me for that, just an illustration.) No institution is immune to manifesting injustice; the rub about ours is that we shout for justice from the rooftops, and then, seemingly, retreat to the basement to do our business.
  • Donnaswan
    Also changed the time of trad music Mass to 9am, making it almost impossible for choir and organist to have enough warm-up time. Almost no one is coming back to the choir next week. So sad. It keeps me awake at night. And of course, I knew as much about Catholic Liturgy as anyone else on the staff. Or knew where to go when there was a question.
    And the music for August and Sept is totally G&P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
  • Chrism
    As far as the question, where did this come from - firing your employee by changing his job title - I think it came from the corporate world.
  • francis
    The Church is in the midst of a liturgical struggle (battle), and musicians are usually in the fray. Especially since B16 has come in and is reversing the abuse. This kind of thing is just reentrenchment of obstinance.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    B16

You sunk my battleship!
  • francis
    BINGO!
  • HR officers communicate in blogs. A trend like this...can spread like wildfire.