Holy Father calls for aid to Pakistan
  • Kathy
    I realize this is off the beaten path, but yesterday the Pope pleaded for the second time for concrete help to Pakistan:

(18 Aug 10 – RV) The unfolding tragedy of Pakistan’s flood victims was the focus of a renewed appeal by Pope Benedict XVI to the International community this Wednesday. Speaking from his hill top summer residence in Castel Gandolfo, the Pope said: “My thoughts go at this time to the dear people of Pakistan, recently hit by severe flooding, which has caused many victims and left many families homeless”.

He went on to say: “As I entrust to the merciful goodness of God all those who are tragically gone, I express my spiritual closeness to their families and all who suffer because of this disaster. Our solidarity and the concrete solidarity of the international community must not be lacking to these our sorely tried brothers and sisters!”.

For some reason this tragedy doesn't seem to have stirred the immediate response of the international community. Apparently the needs are urgent and the financial assistance has not been forthcoming. (Just felt like this should be mentioned.)