Multimedia Chant Outreach
  • gregpgregp
    Several months ago it occurred to me that we have the opportunity to do something as schola directors that was not possible up until the last 2 or 3 years.

Let me preface this by saying that we have a weekly EF Missa Cantata at the parish, but the parish didn't ask for it (the Bishop asked them to accommodate us, which they have graciously done). We can't put too much into the parish bulletin, however, so one of our parishioners started a blog, and for two years he's been posting announcements, explanations of liturgical items and feasts, and, because he's a photographer, lots of pictures.

Recently he asked me if I'd like to start posting, and after thinking about it, I had a revelation: the Propers (currently we're singing the Introit and Communion from the Graduale Romanum, and the rest from Rossini). I realized that many, if not most people in the pews would have little idea what we were singing, much less why, what it meant, etc.

So every week since the beginning of June, for both the Introit and the Commnunion antiphons, I have posted the Latin text, the source of the text, the English translation, a recording of someone singing the antiphon (usually Giovanni Vianini or the monks of Notre Dame de Triors - thanks Jeff O!!), and the explication of the antiphon given by Dom Johner in the "Chants of the Vatican Gradual".

I've had lots of good comments from parishioners, because even if they have a Missal with the text and translation of the Propers for that day, the blog posting allows them to read, listen, and study as well.

Anyone who is interested, we are at Monterey Traditional Latin Mass Community

Additional ideas are also welcome!