Chants Invoking the Holy Spirit
  • Dear Chant lovers,

If one looks through old Solesmes/Desclee books, one can find hundreds of chants in honor of the Blessed Sacrament, the Sacred Heart, the Virgin Mary, etc. But one can hardly find more than a few that invoke the Holy Spirit. I can think of Veni Creator; Veni Sancte (Sequence); Veni Sancte (short); well, are there others?

That's my question: Does anyone know of other chants to the Holy Spirit? I have a particular project in mind and am looking for such chants.

Thanks and God Bless,
    Peter
  • Maureen
    Volume I of Mone's Lateinischen Hymnen des Mittelalters: Songs 179 - 198. All different genres.

A different series of Lateinische Hymnen: Songs 78-83.

You'll also want to search through all the volumes of the Dreves and post-Dreves Analecta Hymnica Medii Aevii and so forth. You'll probably find archive.org an easier source to find them than Google Books, but not all of the archive.org copies have the "Read Online" feature. I'm sure there are many other sources, like Britt and so on.

There are also several online groups putting together chant databases, though none seem to be anywhere near complete (and little wonder).

On the whole, I'd say there's no shortage of songs about the Holy Spirit. However, a lot of them seem to have picked "Veni creator Spiritus" as their first line, which probably makes it interesting to tell them apart without reading the whole first verse, at least.