Choral settings of Newman texts
  • Heath
    Cardinal Newman's beatification is coming up next month; I'd like to work in a choral setting or two of some of his texts. Any recommendations? Have any members set any of his stuff?
  • Chrism
    I Googled Cardinal Newman Hymns and found a bunch. You might have similar luck looking for poems.

One of the things I found was the book Verses on Various Occasions, which includes this particular rhyme - if you can somehow set that as a catchy fight song, I'd be very grateful. ;-P

I think most people usually set:

Lead, Kindly Light
    Dream of Gerontius / Praise to the Holiest

And some people have been wary of using the pre-conversion material (October 9, 1845).
  • Maureen
    Don't kill me, but Haas has a setting of Newman lyrics. It's a song about Purgatory called "Angel's Farewell", also from "The Dream of Gerontius". Haas calls it "Guardian's Farewell". It's the guardian angel talking to the soul going to Purgatory. It's a really nice setting, I think.

You'd have to tell people beforehand that "this is a song about a guardian angel seeing his charge off to Purgatory", because otherwise Newman's lyrics at the beginning make it sound like a song about chucking people's ashes into the ocean or something. Once you know what the heck it's talking about, it's very touching and comforting. The only thing that I didn't like is that, at one point, Haas changes the words from "Highest" (which rhymes) to "Most High" (which doesn't). I recommend that you should change that right back.

It would probably encourage prayer for souls without throwing people into a panic, so you might want to look into it.

(If you're wondering how I know this... I bought a bunch of almost-random albums at the Celtic Festival last week, and one of them turned out to be some kind of wedding, funeral, and St. Patrick's Day album by a lady from Old St Patrick's in Chicago. I didn't realize there was so much Haas on it until I listened to it, and a lot of Lawton also. There's some definite gems on it, also a lot of non-gems (for which I blame the songwriters, not the singer). Still, she's a very good singer, especially for certain techniques I might wish to acquire, and it did give me copies of some useful things and knowledge of others I should avoid, so it wasn't a waste of money.)
  • ghmus7
    There is a beautiful setting of one of his texts by Calvert Sheck - found at canticanova.com here:

http://www.canticanova.com/catalog/products/g_complete.htm
  • Donnaswan
    There are two very short settings by Norman della Joio-one for morning, one for Evening- I can't remember the titles- I like them. I no longer have access to the Music Library, but I have a friend who also has them- we sang them in Rome years ago. I'll find out.
  • DougS
    Donna, it is called "Prayers of Cardinal Newman" for SATB and organ.
  • kathyf
    Maureen , thanks for telling us about Dream of Gerontius.

I'd never heard of it, and now that I've read it, I'm in love with it! Can you fall in love with a poem? I am.

I even took it to Adoration to prayerfully read, never has an hour gone by so fast.

Filled with food for thought!
  • Maureen
    It is a heck of a poem, isn't it? Very similar in some ways to medieval takes on "The Art of Dying Well".
  • Donnaswan
    Thank you Doug. I wouldn't have been able to sleep tonight w/o remembering LOL
  • Donnaswan
    I was blessed enough to once hear a performance of Elgar's "Dream of Gerontius" at Gloucester Cathedarl. Unforgettable!
  • Heath
    I hunted down Shenk's setting of "Complete Thy Work, O Lord", published by C-nova as suggested by ghmus7. Very nice! That's what I'll be doing on Sept. 19.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    A couple days ago I was ruminating on Purgatory, and I remembered this thread so I went and read Dream of Gerontius
    http://www.ccel.org/n/newman/gerontius/gerontius.htm

Oh my goodness gracious, it nearly brought me to tears- especially that last verse from the angel:
    SOFTLY and gently, dearly-ransomed soul,
    In my most loving arms I now enfold thee,
    And, o’er the penal waters, as they roll,
    I poise thee, and I lower thee, and hold thee.

And carefully I dip thee in the lake,
    And thou, without a sob or a resistance,
    Dost through the flood thy rapid passage take,
    Sinking deep, deeper, into the dim distance.
    Angels, to whom the willing task is given,
    Shall tend, and nurse, and lull thee, as thou liest;
    And Masses on the earth and prayers in heaven,
    Shall aid thee at the Throne of the most Highest.

Farewell, but not forever! Brother dear,
    Be brave and patient on thy bed of sorrow;
    Swiftly shall pass thy night of trial here,
    And I will come and wake thee on the morrow.

I don't think most people (Catholic or non-) understand how profoundly loving and merciful the concept of Purgatory really is.
  • Thanks, Adam, for this beautiful (and gentle) reminder. Horror-tinged concepts of purgatory owe a good deal of their currency to concepts and art of the mediaeval and early modern eras. And, they are not entirely a thing of the past. They are yet preached (almost with a certain ironic satisfaction), especially by certain preaching orders.
  • G
    A bit off-topic, oh heck, way off topic, at the opening "school Mass" for a grade school this morning, amidst the (pretty sad,) Spirit and Song Music, the General Intercessions included a beautifully written petition for the souls in Purgatory.
    I had to pick my jaw up off the floor...

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Maureen
    I think Tolkien's famous story "Leaf by Niggle" is serving as an introduction to Purgatory for a lot of Catholics today. It's not all nice nice, but it's definitely gentler than some takes; so it's something of a happy medium.

There's nothing wrong with a little horror, particularly in the genre of cautionary tales. The problem is that teachers and preachers don't necessarily know which people need a little dramatization to help them take stuff seriously, and which people need more in the way of gentle encouragement and happy thoughts. The same person can even have different tolerance levels on different subjects. It's definitely a pastoral care thing.

The whole Purgatory/fire and Purgatory/ghost thing both seem to go back all the way to the beginning of the Church, though. So of course they're going to keep showing up. Christian Greek Romans loved to get all philosophical about God's love as fire, and fire as a pure element, and it's all one of those things that sounds very very dry until you think about it, and then you start getting worried.

So yes, water and a summer rest camp are both a good deal gentler images of Purgatory. :)
  • "So," says the little child, "There is no Santa Claus."

"Yes, that's right."

"There is no tooth fairy."

"Right."

"There is no Easter Bunny."

"You've got it!"

"Well," says the child, "what about Hell?"
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Newman's text, as loving as it is, makes it clear that Purgatory is painful. I think that is essential to the idea.
    What I find so loving and merciful about the doctrine is God giving us an opportunity to be Purged of our sin and weakness.
    As much as we despise our sin (we "do what we hate"), we (at least I do) find ourselves "addicted" to sinfulness. The process of throwing off our sinful nature is difficult and painful, and -for most of us- cannot be completed during our natural lifetimes. And so we have Purgatory...
    I think of this less as punishment (pain being aimed at us) and more as healing (the natural pain of sin and weakness being drawn out of us... like the pain of drug detox and withdrawal). That's why I especially loved the idea of the angels who "tend, and nurse, and lull." They are not there to cause us pain (like some artists show)- but to help us deal with the pain which is a natural byproduct of our sins. Or they are there to help with the actual healing, perhaps, which of course can be painful (ever had someone set your bones or give you a shot?).

I could be totally off base with this conception (honestly, I know very little about Catholic doctrine concerning Purgatory), but it makes sense and seems consistent with at least what I know about teaching on this matter.
  • CharlesW
    I think some of the fire and brimstone has been reinforced by the Irish. An associate pastor from Ireland spoke often of flames, ripped-off arms, bloody stumps, and etc. As our former German pastor of 38 years often said, "The Irish ruined the church in this country."
  • rich_enough
    Arvo Part did a setting of a Newman text.
  • Maureen
    Re: Irish Purgatory --

A lot of the Irish stuff comes from the very famous pilgrimage site, St. Patrick's Purgatory, which of course is still operational. Whether you go with St. Patrick or the later repentant knight accounts of Purgatory, there's quite a lot to give you motivation for staying awake day and night at Lough Dearg over the whole weekend. (Or walking barefoot up and down Croagh Patrick, or standing around praying in freezing cold water, or whatever your little Irish heart desires.)

The first problem was that, while this is really suited for those with a nice Irish turn for asceticism to counteract the partying, it's not suited for everybody. The second problem was that Irish priests were strongly influenced by crazed French Jansenist seminary teachers purposely chosen by the English government when the Irish were allowed to have seminaries again, and Jansenists were sure that everything really rough was suited for everybody. The third problem was that, with tons of Irish and tons of Irish priests, their influence was sure to be strong.
    But it's silly to say they ruined the Church, or even that all Irish were into the sulfuric sermons. There are just as many happy Irish stories about Purgatory as scary ones.

Even at its height, Irish Catholicism no more ruled the American bits of Catholic church than my elbow does now. German Catholicism had just as deep an influence; it was just less showy and prominent. You could probably say the same for Italian and Polish Catholicism. All these groups have very strong beliefs, practices, and stories about Purgatory, and they all go in the mix. You can find "soft" and "hardcore" stuff about Purgatory among all ethnicities.

All the St. Gertrude the Great prayers didn't come out of Irish Catholicism, for one thing. I'm sure I could think of more examples.
  • Heath
    Sheesh, forgot about a fine composition that I've used in the past: O Lord, Support Us (GIA--Richard Proulx) 2-pt mixed, sounds very much like Herbert Howells. Very nice.