the PBC and Franciscan
  • JamJam
    The other day I was browsing through the Franciscan University bookstore, and I found the Parish Book of Chant for sale there, wedged in-between P&W guitar books.

Just wanted to share. It makes me feel good about how things are going here. Slow and steady wins the race...
  • Great stuff!
  • IanWIanW
    It travels, too. I discovered copies in Nick Gale's choir stalls at St. George's Cathedral, Southwark, in London.
  • Too bad it's forced to hang out in such bad circumstances, but possibly it sees this as missionary work, shoulder to shoulder with those in need of guidance.

Possibly one day we will hear the guitar group strike up Dies Irae and know that it worked.
  • JamJam
    it's certainly deep in the heart of missionary territory. But one look at the Sacred Music curricula at Franciscan shows that the PBC is definitely favored academically. Hopefully the music majors and minors will spill more into the music ministry as time goes on (there seems to be a pretty rigid divide between them now).
  • eft94530eft94530
    [PBC] ... wedged in-between P&W guitar books

To the consternation of book-shelf-organizers everywhere,
    perhaps single copies misplaced is clever marketing?

Some will not want to stand in the chant section just yet ...
  • eft,

I think that they provide plain paper bags for those people, instead of the clear plastic bags that are becoming so common.

"well, I think he's cute."

"yes, but last night I saw him at the bookstore, in the chant section."

"oh.....well, never mind"
  • eft94530eft94530
    Sigh. You have wounded my innocence.
    Never again will I hear in the same way those simple words, "paper or plastic?".

The next time I am questioned by the grocery clerk,
    I might just burst out laughing,
    as I recall this repartee. :-)
    Touche!
  • oooh man. Having spent a lot of time in the music department over there, I can tell you with certainty that they are totally chant-minded. Those who went to the Colloquium might remember the GIANT ad for the Sacred Music program in the back of the program packet.

One day, not too long after the motu proprio was put into effect, I found a few copies of the 1962 Missal in the bookstore with the other missals--both the SSPX (forget their publisher's name) and Baronius versions. Later on it became only the Baronius version that was in there, but still! They had it! I was shocked...and I immediately bought it, since it was the Christmas sale and there was no way you'd find it brand-new for cheaper anywhere else. (And if you can, don't tell me, because I've already bought it and I'll be all sad!) But this was before the TLM was allowed on campus, and when the general message we were getting was that any trad-minded people were persona non grata at FUS.

Also, they do use chant occasionally on campus other than the TLM. It's usually during Lent when they need something more "solemn"--sigh. We used to have a Latin NO as well that the Schola would sing at, but since the TLM started, the Music Ministry takes care of it, and they're woefully unequipped for such a thing. But the tide is turning, sloooooooowly.
  • Clara, nicely said.

What you said brings to mind something that we have not considered.

In this case outside of Lent they choose not to be solemn, and sing hymns and other music that is less conducive to Catholic prayer and worship.

Praise Choruses, contemporary songs and ecumenical hymns are a gigantic road sign warning CATHOLIC LITE.

It's funny that if you like Latin you are called persona non grata!
  • JamJam
    There is a bit of tension between the so-called "pre-vatican-II" types and "vatican II types" (which is what the praise-band folks call 'em, not the chant-minded folks) here on campus. But there is a huge wave of traditionalism, and of course the sacred music program here is totally the bomb. Although non-music majors who played guitar in their home parishes still dominate the music ministry, more and more of the sacred music program is filtering into all of the liturgies here.

Since the theological orthodoxy of Franciscan (today, that is) is right on, my personal theory is that the liturgy will eventually catch up to that, and be orthodox as well. It is impossible to retain the cognitive dissonance of proper theology but improper liturgy for very long, and one or the other will eventually have to go. The latter is slowly crumbling, from my point of view.
  • Jam, I think your last comment is correct. The old dinosaurs of the Charismatic movement (capitalized to distinguish the 70s-era movement from the actual meaning of the word, which are held as one and the same at FUS) are still holding on for dear life, but they can't stick around forever. As head of Dom Gueranger Society I did a lot of trafficking with the Liturgy Committee, and the students involved were certainly more traditionally-minded. I find that despite the music, they follow the rubrics very well. Of course, once it goes into the hands of the priest, it's a different story, but what they are able to control is done very beautifully. More and more students are open to or outright in favor of what the "traditional movement" at Franciscan aims for, and certainly many of the faculty members as well. I still have a copy of the petitions that went around right after the mp came out, including the secret list of the faculty members who supported us...it was way more than I expected. And there are some young priests who are very enthusiastic about it as well. I could give you a million points as to why I think that the tide really is turning, but the post would get rather long and tiresome...haha. But I definitely believe it's happening, just slower than a lot of people would like. But this is FUS! We should be happy that something's changing at all...

PS. Are you at FUS now? I wonder if you were around while I was still there (I graduated in 2009).
  • JamJam
    Yep, I'm at FUS now. I came here as a transfer in Fall 2009, so I just missed ya.

There is still a long way to go here, of course, but since this is certainly a locus of Catholic thought (not THE locus, just one of them), I thought the folks here at Musica Sacra would appreciate that fact that even here things are taking a turn for the better, liturgically.
  • kathyf
    I wouldn't be so hard on FUS. I went there. The Eucharist is revered there like no other place I know. There's lots of confession, lots of vocational discernment, lots of holiness.

The Jim Cowan music we sang - and I still sing when I am not at church - is miles and miles ahead of David Haas, the St. Louis Jesuits, Bernadette Farrell etc in terms of reverence and orthodoxy.

The better stuff will take off there, like grace can do better when it has more nature to attach on, sacred music will take off where there's real faith to attach it to.

Why doesn't somebody go to Steubenville and maybe take Jim Cowan out to lunch? Mr. Tucker?
  • Of course, once it goes into the hands of the priest, it's a different story

And THAT would be the story of my life! Sigh.....
  • kathyf
    Here's an essay to read regarding the FUS music that offers an interesting perspective. It's by Regina Doman, people may be familiar with her because of the books she writes.

http://www.theuniversityconcourse.com/I,6,4-23-1996/Schmiedicke.htm

Most especially this quote: "After experiencing four years of the lively, genuine worship here at FUS, a student probably will be able to appreciate something like a Bach Mass when he does encounter it. I know it helped me become more open to the classics and Gregorian chant. If it hadn't been for "Ascribe to the Lord" I never could have appreciated Mozart's Mass. The abyss between pop culture and the treasures of the Church is a wide one, and I think the Steubenville crowd do a good job trying to span it. Very few people are even trying to build a bridge at all these days."
  • The last director of music I knew from FUS was dead set to establish guitar as a liturgical instrument.

The word lively when describing worship is not a plus.

Puppets are lively.

Incense is not.
  • JamJam
    Director of liturgical music, I assume? Because all of the music degree program people--on the academic side, as opposed to liturgical side--are excellent. However, they are doing more and more liturgically, such as having organ students play at Mass, and having a wonderful mixed-gender schola sing at the monthly EF High Mass and other liturgies, such as Vespers. As time goes on, I am sure the Music program will bleed more heavily into the liturgical aspects of the school. The disconnect between the music majors/minors and the people who played guitars at their home parishes cannot exist for too long, I hope, when the quality of the music program is seen more and more by the student body.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I find incense to be very lively!

And puppets are, as Peter Brook might say, "Deadly."

Nothing wrong with words like "lively" (or "accessible" or "pastoral")... The problem is their use as "codewords" for particular agendas.

But, I find this recording of Christus Vincit to be one of the liveliest things I've ever heard.
    While this recording of Blest Be the Lord to be (even if you liked that song) one of the drabbest, deadliest pieces of congregational torture I've ever encountered.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Kathy, thank you so much for pointing this out!

I hate it when people get so negative and critical of everything that isn't perfectly, completely, absolutely 100% in line with the ideals of the Church, regardless of the good that comes out of it.

I'm not saying that these things are ok, I'm just saying that sometimes I get so disgusted with the level of self-righteousness (regarding music/liturgy) on this forum, and how people are incapable of seeing ANY good in any other form of music/liturgy. There's a reason that "traddies" have some of the reputations that we have...

As Kathy has pointed out above, and as I've said in other threads before, sometimes these things that are less than ideal can really be "gateways" to better things. They can be the "missing link" leading someone towards the sacred.
  • CharlesW
    "I'm not saying that these things are ok, I'm just saying that sometimes I get so disgusted with the level of self-righteousness (regarding music/liturgy) on this forum, and how people are incapable of seeing ANY good in any other form of music/liturgy."

You got that right! It takes a series of small steps over a long period of time to change the music culture in the U.S. church.
  • Maybe it's because many of us are...Roman Catholic?

There is no reason to be 100% in line with the ideals of the Church.

There is no reason for those who take vows of celibacy to be 100% celibate!

Hey, this is fun!

I can't see why this is not an attitude we should all take on. Collloquium should have guitars and classes in LIFETEEN music!

Sorry, I thought this site was for people striving to achieve of the Catholic Church as it has written in its documents.

The end does justify the means!!!!

And the article from the writer Doman, a Byzantine, is yet another example of non-Roman Catholics telling Roman Catholics how they should think and act...they seem to have some sort of strange compulsion to tell us how we should do things. Obviously they are all coming from a superior place.

"The better stuff will take off there, like grace can do better when it has more nature to attach on, sacred music will take off where there's real faith to attach it to." is an argument that is tremendously insulting to somebody someplace...and I and not sure where there is more nature.

Alaska?
  • CharlesW
    Sacred music takes off when you have the necessary people skills to work with a congregation, and that can be a really long-term, exhausting effort. It takes time, often more time than you ever thought. Any musician who goes into a congregation expecting it to accept his "enlightened" view of church music will likely fail. When that happens, the musician is usually the only one suprised by the failure. Sacred music does not "take off there" because some musician wills or decrees it. Things don't work that way. Again, you have to work with people and accept that even at best, they may share part of your vision for sacred music, but not accept all of it. If the congregation accepts half of your vision, that half is a base to keep building on. Even more important is the support of the pastor. If you don't have that, it might be a good idea to look for another job.
  • Darn, insulted on another topic and getting nailed here as well while I had my back turned.

Can you say, When Sheep Attack? It's your meadow, CharlesW, enjoy it.
  • CharlesW
    I keep a good eye on my sheep, don't provoke them, and take a long, long, range view. Our goals are similar, but our methods differ, that's all.
  • kathyf
    I don't think Regina Doman is a Byzantine. Did she say that? She just likes Byzantine chant. I doubt she was raised Byzantine Catholic. If I'm wrong I stand corrected.

Grace and nature don't have anything to do with Alaska.

Steubenville is where I became addicted to Perpetual Adoration. Yes, they do have real Catholic faith there. Way more faith than your average Catholic college campus.

Jim Cowan's Eucharist song: "This is Jesus, Emmanuel, God is with us in this Sacrament, come receive Him, adore Him, this is Jesus our Lord," is light years ahead of "I myself am the Bread of Life," and that's the point I was trying to make.
  • chonakchonak
    The argument from that article by Regina Doman seems to be that the music ministry evangelizes the faithful and inculcates attitudes of adoration through hymns and devotional songs. On the other hand, it doesn't give any particular emphasis to singing the Roman rite per se.

Now, the article is from 14 years ago, so it may or may not reflect the current state of music (or thinking about sacred music) at FUS. It may even be not very relevant now, except as an expression of personal opinion.
  • JamJam
    Just wanted to quickly point out that I don't want to be negative about Franciscan University in any way. It is a wonderful school and I am very blessed to be here. The students and professors here take their faith seriously, and the academics are, in my opinion, stellar. I am a Sacred Music minor here and the program is wonderful, the English department is <3 (translation: I love it!!), and what little I've experienced of the classics department is likewise wonderful.<br />
    Nevertheless, they've a track record for awful liturgical practices--awful when compared to their theological and practical zeal--and for good reason. Their liturgies are still halfway stuck in the mire of the 60s and 70s when the school was founded. There are many people here who fondly remember "the good ol' days" of the charismatic revival and spend a lot of effort trying to recapture them. But seeing the Sacred Music program seep into the liturgical programs (which are all extra-curricular) and seeing things like the PBC popping up in the bookstore is proving that the liturgy cannot lag behind the theology and dedication to the Magisterium for forever.

I agree with Noel insofar as Catholics should be able to criticize other Catholic groups when it comes to such important things as liturgy without being immediately considered the bad guys. Attacking a certain aspect of the group, in this case Franciscan's liturgies, should not immediately be read as an attack on the entire group. As for me, I don't mean to criticize anything but just share the good news that the PBC is popping up in more and more places, and that the Sacred Music program at Franciscan is having more and more of an influence on things.

I understand people's "pick your battles" mentality, but "pick your battles" shouldn't turn into "keep silent and don't rock the boat," because that mentality is even more destructive in the long run, perhaps.