Making the transition...
  • Moving towards the new translation this is the time to get weekly worship aids in that hands of the people and take control of the music in your parish, wresting it away from the publishers of pulp missals.

If you have hard-bound hymnals, a weekly worship aid will supplement them and save thousands and thousands of dollars....something that will put your musical goals run in tandem with those of the finance committee...a very holy alliance.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    prepare for a headache...
  • CharlesW
    Prepare for a big headache. My pastor does not like weekly worship aids and I can promise there won't be any. He wants something hardbound, permanent, and with everything needed under one cover.
  • Realized upon posting that no matter what I post, there will be an answer, so why bother. Original, reasoned response deleted.
  • Never. Mind.
  • Last Sunday, during the announcements, my new pastor explained why the new translation was better than the post-communion prayer he had just read, and how much better the new translation will be.
  • DougS
    A little advance positive press never hurts, I guess.
  • CharlesW
    We have been given the date of Advent 2011 for implementation of the new missal. The bishop, however, has decreed that it not be used until the diocese holds training sessions. Since our current hymnals have mass settings for the old translations, I am not sure what will happen there.

Does anyone know a date for the Revised Grail psalms? I haven't heard one.

My preference would be to create a chant-based psalm book and include a couple of newly translated mass settings, put them in the pews, and sing hymns from the hymnal. It will never happen, I'm afraid. We will likely get a new hardbound hymnal that includes readings, psalms, and hymns.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    i've been interested in watching the revised grail....certain parties (several in the pay of GIA) have whined about bemoaned the fact of rome 'imposing' a new translation on the Mass...but not a word about the 'imposition' of a new psalm translation....GIA will gain millions, literally, when this thing goes through. but frogman is right: other composers besides GIA should have a chance to look at the new texts...
  • chonakchonak
    The RGP got final approval from the Holy See in March, and you can pre-order books on-line. There's no telling when they'll appear.
  • CharlesW
    Or what they will cost!
  • what is the difference between revised grail psalms and the 1964 benedictine psalm translations?

An example of 1964:

1. The Lord said to my Lord: Sit at my right hand till I make your enemies your footstool
    2. The scepter of your power the Lord will stretch forth from Sion: Rule in the midster of your enemies.
    3. Yours is princely power in the day of your birth, in holy splendor; before the daystar, like the dew I have begotten you
    4. The Lord has sworn, and he will not repent: "You are a priest forever, according to the order of Melchisedech."
    5. The Lord is at your right hand; he will crush kings on the day of his wrath.
    6. He will do judgement on the nations, heaping up corpses; he will crush heads over the wide earth.
    7. From the brook by the wayside he will drink; therefore will he lift up his head.
    8. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.
    9. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
  • chonakchonak
    We don't know; the RGP hasn't been published yet, except in these LOTH books in Africa. The 1963 Grail Psalter is probably generally close to the RGP..
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks; I've fixed the link accordingly.