A Beginner's Guide to Singing Gregorian Chant Notation, Rhythm and Solfeggio
  • My little book about reading notation was pretty easy to write and I have gotten word that people are finding it useful. Last year I began to write about using Solfeggio to learn chant from the beginner's viewpoint and that went through four attempts, starting and restarting over and over again. Then I decided that what I found most confusing and most beautiful were the rhythms of chant, especially as interpreted and explained very thoroughly by all the conductors at the Colloquium, so it seemed time to take what I had learned and put it on paper. That should explain the dedication of the book.

So I've released the new book at www.basicchant.com. It will be up on www.amazon.com as well before long.

However, caution, please. This is only a beginner's book. Dr. Susan Treacy's A Plain and Easy Introduction to Gregorian Chant which I received after finishing this latest book did not discourage me from marketing my book because her book made it clear that my little book is barebones basic and is in no way a scholarly work of the highest quality as hers is, and he's is written so a beginner can not only learn about chant but also learn about it in depth, referring back to it over and over again as they mature as chant singers. Her books and other great stuff may be found at www.canticaNOVA.com

My little book is the kind of book you grab and open to remind yourself what that little squiggly note means. I have a writer friend who, when she heard I was publishing articles about horse training said, "Yes, it's easy to write about something you know."

So I have always taken that to heart. Of course in this case this book proves how little I know about chant!
  • miacoyne
    Thank you Noel. Is there any way I can see the table of content and some sample pages of your new book? (I would like to recommand to schola members and want to see whether this will be suitable for their level. ) Also are you explaining the rhythm in the book based on classic Solesmes method? (either one is good for me, I just want to know. I do have Dr. Treacy's book. I can never have enough books on Gregorian chant ;-)
  • Thanks, good question, I will post some sample pages on the www.basicchant.com site this afternoon from the new book. Amazon will be posting it with sample pages, but I really need to do it on my site because...the profit margin is higher when they sell on www.basicchant.com.

Also, I need to add info about buying bulk for scholas!

Dr. Treacy's book is great. I am working on a review of another fine book that I took with me to Colloquium and studied at nights to help me figure out things.

Also, on my site I have a link to recommended chant books that are available at Amazon, let me know of books I have missed if you like.
  • Response from my decision to release this as a free download has brought response from every continent except Antarctica. Got to work on that!

We have decided to offer this as a Power Point presentation for class presentation now as well and the download is ready at www.basicchant.com.

Multiple copies of the book for class study may be ordered at a discount.
  • Noel, would you say that your book is comparative to A Gregorian Chant Handbook by William Tortolano? Just curious.
  • Definitely not! My little book is but a very, very basic thing....

My book is based upon my opinion that chant is easy to read in its original form - that is, very large notes. When shrunk down to fit in a book it can be quite difficult for some to read. By teaching the notes and what they do in large form in this little book, the brain can much more quickly recognize them in their form in modern printed books such as the Parish Book Of Chant.

The expanded version with includes both Book 1 and 2 then goes on explaining rhythm and solfeggio, but also in very, very basic terms. I would say that, even without seeing it that his book goes into detail far beyond anything that I have.

You need to understand that I am proud that my book has been reviewed as the Dick and Jane of Gregorian Chant.

My latest one, the working title being "If You Can Sing "Joy To The World, The Lord Is Come" You Can Learn To Read and Sing Gregorian Chant" is also very, very basic, but hammers in the basics of recognizing the clef and notes in a novel way that may help those who do not read chant, but especially those who already read modern music. It strips away modern music notation then builds on the fluid simple way that chant clefs and notes work.

I have reviewed and continue to highly recommend Susan Treacy's book A Plain And Easy Introduction To Gregorian Chant here:

http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=3776&page=1#Item_3

My main reference book used to be Gregorian Chant by Apel - now I go to Susan's book first....

Just added: I forgot to mention that my entire book can be downloaded as a PDF for free, just like the PPT presentaion. What's interesting is that after making the decision to offer these and others for free, sales of the printed books have increased. Thank you, all!