Music Director fired in the middle of his pastor being investigated
  • Is Director of Music, Bill Clark, one of us? I never enjoy hearing about someone losing their job.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/jul/26/St-Leo-Catholic-Church-Stan-Strycharz-removed/
  • matthewjmatthewj
    What a strange story...
  • CharlesW
    I read about this, but details have not been forthcoming. Who knows what happened?
  • Removed.
  • CharlesW
    This is in Florida. It's full of dangerous reptiles, blustery hot air, and raging tempests. Wait - is that any different from the average parish? ;-)
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    This comes under the heading "Hot Mess."

I think speculation at this point is inappropriate, and so is further comment.
  • eft94530eft94530
    I think this Forum Discussion needs a category adjustment (in Forum banner, click Categories) ...

News Items
    Post releases from your own schola (concerts etc.) or draw attention to a published report on sacred music.

General Discussion: Music
    Discussion of anything musical (church or otherwise)
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Why don't you post a LARGE, conspicuous disclaimer that everyone who posts here isn't even a real member of the CMAA and that the views portrayed are not necessarily those of the membership of CMAA - and then let us talk away?

Internet forums are usually FOR discussion, speculation, rumors, facts, truisms, and all sorts of other things. I don't think that "this discussion should end". I'd love to hear if anyone happens to know anything more about this.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Internet forums are usually FOR discussion, speculation, rumors, facts, truisms, and all sorts of other things. I don't think that "this discussion should end". I'd love to hear if anyone happens to know anything more about this.

Funny, I seem to recall addressing in unvarnished terms my convictions and opinions about the NPM, and last year I very directly addressed my concerns over a lack of professional courtesy (and possible violations of canon law) on the part of a priest who was a previous employer.

In both cases the piling on was brutal, bloodless and relentless. I was hounded off the board and shouted down by certain folk on this board that cried out for civility and charity.

Where are these voices now? We know exactly NOTHING about what has happened, why the DM was fired, why the priest now under investigation refused to fire him, and why the priest is now removed and under investigation.

ISTM that those who comment on these rumors and the partial information we currently have are abject hypocrites. Period.

To be honest, I have little respect for some of the folk who regularly participate and deliver themselves of their over-the-top moralistic bromides when truly serious, apropos, timely issues are discussed, all the while wringing their hands with glee when dreck like this is troweled out for our prurient or sophomoric entertainment.

Let us wait until the full story is available, and from a reliable source. In the meantime, you are actively engaging in the sin of gossip.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I didn't participate in the "piling on". I am all for unfettered commentary - both then and now.

Now, perhaps it's not PRUDENT to talk about a current or former employers - but if you'd like to, be my guest.
  • CharlesW
    I didn't participate in the piling on, either. If I remember correctly, I supported you David. There are certain people who post here, who have a habit of posting on either controversial topics, or topics that any rational person would realize can generate a fair amount of discussion. Then when they can't control the direction of the discussion, they rant, behave childishly, sink the discussion and take their toys and go home - at least that's how it seems. I tend to not pay much attention to them. But If they get upset with me, then let them remain upset until the second coming, for all I care.

This topic: All I have seen on it is the one news article that we have all seen. It's been posted in other places, because I first saw it elsewhere. The local diocese is releasing no information on it. There's nothing else to know on this topic for now, as far as I know.
  • I am not apprecaitive of being accused of the sin of gossip. I merely wanted to know if Bill Clark was one of us who are helping to facilitate the reform of the reform. If that IS the case or that is why he got the boot, then I will be wary of any job openings in that diocese because the article said that the bishop had Bill Clark removed. That's not gossip, sir, it's pausing to look before one leaps.
  • CharlesW
    A fair question, I think. When I read the article, none of the names were familiar to me.