CMAA website header
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I just noticed the graphic header on the homepage. (Maybe it's just one of a series of rotating graphics?) It gave me a good laugh! But it also is a sad reminder of the status of the (pipe) in Catholic churches in the U.S. It shows (I guess) St. Cecilia holding a tiny pipe organ down rather than up, and some of the pipes are slipping out, on their way to the floor! Having been an organ builder for many years, and involved in Catholic music even before that, I can tell you that this is literally what happened in many places since Vatican II. Restorable pipe organ have been shoveled onto the curb for the heavy trash pick-up. Others had their pipes mowed down by installers of cheap, pre-digital electronic organ speakers. Now, some of these organs might have been beyond repair, but I seriously doubt that anyone honestly investigated. Why waste the time? "The silly thing is way up there, in the wrong end of the church anyway." "All music ministry should be down in front where they can successfully lead the congregation." "God doesn't us wasting donated money on these material things while people are hungry in Africa." You name it! All of this "stuff", attitudes came about as a result of the misinterpretation of Vatican II.

We can do all sorts of positive things in the reform of the reform. But I think we need to keep a view opened to the truth of what happened over the last 50 years. Otherwise, it might just happen again!
  • CharlesW
    Preach on, brother! I witnessed some of these things. The end result has been that my parish is the only remaining Catholic church in town with a pipe organ. They were removed and replaced with electronics in some other churches. One church is now on its 2nd or 3rd electronic instrument since the pipes were removed. It is ridiculous. In 75 years a pipe organ can generally be repaired. An electronic can not.
  • incantuincantu
    The top banner changes every time you visit or refresh the page (which, by the way, is awesome). The quality of the art is right up there with the covers of Magnificat, which are always amazing. A far cry from the glorified clip art used by OCP and other publishers for their disposable worship aids.

Anyway, I just hit my refresh button ten times searching for the image you mention, and wow! Notice that menacing sword next to her. Is this a detail from someone's Martyrdom of St. Cecilia? It's really quite stunning, especially the way it has been cropped.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Not a martyrdom, but the Ecstasy of St. Cecilia, who is depicted at the moment of transcending earthly music. Although it's scant consolation, if the banner could pan downward you would see by the heap of dropped string instruments that Raphael at least had some sense of priorities. There's an interesting-looking book length study by Thomas Connolly.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Ah yes! I had forgotten where that came from! thank you
  • incantuincantu
    if the banner could pan downward you would see by the heap of dropped string instruments that Raphael at least had some sense of priorities

Zing!