Sharon Lee Gray "A History of the National Catholic Music Educators Association"
  • eft94530eft94530
    Dissertation (297 pages)
    A History of the National Catholic Music Educators Association, 1942-1976
    by Sharon Lee Gray
    (D.M.E. diss., University of Cincinnati, 1988)
    http://www.worldcat.org/title/history-of-the-national-catholic-music-educators-association-1942-1976/oclc/020544389

Article (40 pages)
    A History of the National Catholic Music Educators Association, 1942-1976
    by Sharon Lee Gray
    The Bulletin of Historical Research in Music Education, Vol. 16, No. 3 (May, 1995), pp. 194-232
    Published by: Ithaca College
    http://www.jstor.org/pss/40214872

The above might have some information that intersects/supplements CMAA items ...

Sacred Music And Liturgy Reform After Vatican II
    Proceedings of the Fifth International Church Music Congress, Chicago-Milwaukee, August 21-28, 1966
    Johannes Overath, editor
    http://www.musicasacra.com/pdf/smlr.pdf

A Chronicle of the Reform: Catholic Music in the 20th Century
    Msgr. Richard J. Schuler
    http://www.musicasacra.com/pdf/chron.pdf
  • DougS
    The author goes into some detail about how the decline of the NCMEA directly contributed to the formation of NPM.

From p. 164 of the above dissertation, including a quote from a study conducted by Virgil Funk on the feasibility of starting a Catholic musicians' organization (located in the NCMEA Archives):

"It was determined as of March 1976 that four national membership organizations in liturgical music existed: [begin quote from study] 1) THE CHURCH MUSIC ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA (publishers of Sacred Music) reflects a narrow and ultra-conservative musical position. 'In primacy of place always we put Gregorian Chant as it has been ordered by the Council'...and its membership appears to be only ultra-highly professional musicians, and it seems to speak only to musicians of this caliber. (CMAA)"

At least Funk thought highly of the caliber of musicians in the CMAA!
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Wow, that's how I like to think of myself: narrow, ultra-conservative, ultra-highly professional, speaking only to those of my caliber.

Ok, stop laughing!
  • newmanbenewmanbe
    @Jeffrey:

Bow ties are narrow and you wear bow ties, so you must be narrow too.
  • G
    Imagine, thinking that music for the liturgical worship or the Almighty demanded excellence...
    I'm not of a particularly high caliber, though I can be a big bore.
    (Okay, I'll head to confession now for that dreadful joke.)

Save the Liturgy, Save the World!
  • mjballoumjballou
    When I was in Solesmes, I lacked internet access. I'm glad to be reconnected to high caliber, large bore thinkers again.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Orthodoxy is not ultra-conservative! Orthodoxy and orthopraxis are the center-line against which conservative and liberal are measured.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • eft94530eft94530
    The beginning of the article (page 194) ...

My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast: I will sing and make music,
    Awake my glory: awake, harp and lyre: I will wake the dawn.
    I will confess thee, my lord, among the peoples: I will make music to thee among the nations.
    Psalm 57:7-9

[Of] the human means that Providence has given man for his purification and elevation,
    for breaking away from his egoism and turning toward universal horizons,
    music is certainly among the first and highest.
    Pope John XXIII, Address to the Delegates of the International Music Congress, UNESCO, September 29, 1962

In keeping with her Judaeo-Christian heritage, the Catholic Church has consistently integrated music into her worship and education. Both David's harp and John XXIII's counsel are significant to the history of music in the Catholic tradition.

This study, however, considers in detail only one movement within the nearly two thousand years of the church's existence: the National Catholic Music Educators Association (NCMEA), 1942-76. Although the NCMEA existed only thirty-five years, it merits careful study for three major reasons. First, the organization developed from an ancient but ever-evolving musical tradition, thus linking old and new. Secondly, the NCMEA enjoyed its greatest importance during the 1950s and 1960s, the years when Catholic schools expanded to embrace their largest student populations. The NCMEA, therefore, affected the lives and education of millions of persons in all age brackets. Finally, and especially during its final decade, the NCMEA effected in its members an awareness of the needs and responsibilities of the professional music educator.

Ultimately, the NCMEA led its members naturally into more broadly- based organizations, such as the Music Educators National Conference, and more specialized groups, such as the National Pastoral Musicians' Association. That these developments have promoted both a more scientifically-based curriculum and more liturgically appropriate practice is an assumption held by those key people who carried out the dissolution of the NCMEA. Whether such growth ever would have occurred without the stimuli provided by the NCMEA is doubtful. Thus, the relatively brief history of this significant organization deserves to be better known.
  • CharlesW
    I had never heard of NCMEA. There are other organizations that have survived such as Catholic Library Association and Catholic Educational Association. I know about those only because I belong to them.

Now for the other. I am not narrow - I am too addicted to chocolate to be narrow. Ultra-conservative - I can be on ocassion, but my tendency to laugh at myself and most other things tends to put me at odds with both liberals and conservatives who take themselves too seriously. Ultra-highly professional - I can only wish. Although I have a degree, my Sunday music position pays so little I have to work as a school teacher. This means I never have enough practice time to even approach professional status. That ultra-conservative church music has kept me out of the big money for 40 years. High caliber - yeah, right. LOL.
  • eft94530eft94530
    From the article (page 196) ...

The proceedings of the 1932 convention of the MSNC contain a section on Catholic music. The Most Reverend Joseph Schrembs, Bishop of Cleveland, gave a general address to the Catholic music educators.
    [...]
    Yet, the Bishop reminded the Catholic teachers of the prominence of sacred music in their curriculum. "As Catholic teachers, however, you face another problem because our children are to be taught singing not merely for the school or the home, but for the highest and holiest act of human life, namely Divine Worship."4
    [...]
    ---
    4. Thc Most Reverend Joseph Schrembs, "Music in Catholic Schools," MSNC Proceedings (1932), 241.