A Plain And Easy Introduction To Gregorian Chant by Dr. Susan Treacy
  • A few years ago in a desire to learn more about Gregorian Chant I drove 60 miles to the nearest used book store, walked in and a few minutes later handed over $8 to the cashier for a used copy of Willi Apel's Gregorian Chant. I wanted a good book about chant and I knew that was one. This I keep within arms reach on the shelf of my favorite reference books.

Since then I have picked up more books about Gregorian Chant and they too have proved helpful. Reading them gives me a better understanding of Apel's book. The answers all seem to be in there, but often it takes awhile to understand. It's very detailed.

Now I have a book that is new to me in hand and it has taken a spot right next to Willi Apel's book on my shelf because of its usefulness.

A Plain And Easy Introduction To Gregorian Chant by Dr. Susan Treacy is 98 pages of information about chant written by a practicing musician who leads scholas. Her writing varies from Apel's in that she is not just a scholar but also knows and understands singers and musicians who are singing chant. As a result her book delves directly into issues of interest to the active musician. With her academic background, the book is not just an introduction to chant, but also an excellent reference book for all involved with chant.

Treacy writes with knife-like clarity without a wasted word. While Apel's book is a scholarly exploration of chant and its use, her book proves she understands the mind of today's singer and church musician who wants not only to know more about chant, but also what the significance of it is in liturgy.

For example, chanting the psalm tones may appear to be simple, but it is something that many scholas struggle with. This book explains the psalm tones, their modes and practices of marking the psalms in a way that singers can gain a mastery of singing psalm tones.

The glossary is a section that schola members will find very useful, a place to look up the terms that directors often mention. On a personal note, if I would have had this book at Colloquium, the glossary section would have come in very handy. One difficulty in working with a group of singers is that for every singer who knows what they are doing, ("Oh, how are we going to sing that cephalicus?), there are bound to be one or more who does not and is embarrassed to ask questions. This glossary would definitely help those who want to learn but are afraid to ask questions.

Dr. Susan Treacy's ability to explain complex issues in a clear manner make this an excellent book for those just starting out but also for the director in need of a reference work that will serve to guide him or her in training a schola in Gregorian Chant.

The book is nicely formatted and printed on high-quality paper, spiral bound in metal with copious notes and references. It is available from the publisher CanticaNOVA, www.canticanova.com

I'm not sure how this book came about, but it is as if CanticaNOVA's Gary Penkala sat Dr. Treacy down and said, "Write me a book for Catholics that tells them everything they need to know to understand and sing Gregorian Chant, covering the notes, the rhythm, the modes and modality, Latin accents, psalm tones, modes and singing the Mass Ordinary and Propers. Oh, and then add an appendix and a bibliography."

And that's what she did.
  • JenniferGM
    Thank you for the thorough review. I had asked about this book some other time on the forum but got no responses. This is very helpful. I enjoyed having Dr. Treacy as a schola director at Franciscan University.