August Choir School - build your support base.
  • If your choir/schola/jug band is not rehearsing this summer, two or three sessions on your normal choir night in August can really get things rolling for the new year.

A notice sent to the Catholic Paper and also to all the churches in the diocese for their bulletin will get you people interested in what you are doing.

It is important to not make this a recruiting event for your group, but rather a training session in chant and polyphony for those in your choir and those in the diocese that might be interested. [but you will gain immediate exposure...and it will serve as a recruiting tool]

Be sure to invite Religious....priests, deacons, sisters...

Plan simple music in english and latin. Have a simple evening prayer using the music to close the last session.

You will not get your entire choir to attend....just the people that support you. They will spread the word among the visitors about what you do during the year.

You will pick up some members from this.

Shall we discuss this?
  • Carl DCarl D
    I had great luck with this last summer, and plan to do it again this year. I had a two hour session advertised as "Learn some Latin! Sing some chant! Have some fun!" and got about 20 people to show up. As a result I ended up getting 5 new schola members, nearly doubling the size of the group.

The idea is to keep it light, fun, educational, and absolutely no commitment. I advertised it through our church music groups and the weekly bulletin.

Two thumbs up from me! I've attached the handout that I used. Notice that the last page is a rough outline that I kind of followed.

Carl
  • I am planning something like this, but following the same two-step model I did last year.

1) 4 weeks in August- 'basic music theory' course, open to the choir. Totally optional, for folks who want to start reading music. We focus on learning how to count, and work through drills, then finding patterns in and counting through hymns and polyphony. There will be one, maybe two pieces of simple polyphony to whet the appetite so its not all mind drill. (Tailored to this year's interested people, we might spend some time applying solfege to the different keys. They all had to get used to solfege last year, but only through.)

2) Sept- November, 8-10 week 'chant for beginners' class. Open to anyone, notices in a few parish bulletins and diocesan newspaper, special invites to sympatico choir directors and singers in the diocese. The focus will be 2 chant ordinaries and several chant hymns, all Latin. The time frame is 2 hours/ week. If people interested in forming scholas join up, I'd do 90 minutes general class and 90 minutes on the propers.
    Last year we had a super group of 10-15 folks. Of course I wanted a few more numbers, but you gotta start somewhere.

Your points about bringing visibility to the program and attracting a few new singers are spot-on. I will use your advice about inviting priests and religious, thanks.

The 'chant for beginners' class also had some folks from the choir who used the time to get a better handle on chant. Most of them were ready to join our schola, which is a subset of the choir where I am.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Okay, I'm feeling motivated. Actually, with Singing Mum's plans, I'm feeling exhausted.
  • CharlesW
    Exhausted is right. How old is that Singing Mum child? I probably have tee shirts older than her. ;-) After 4 masses today, I don't have enough energy left to teach anything to anyone. Ah, youth. It was nice while it lasted. :-)
  • Well, I'm 36 for a few more days. Middle age as a concept is really hitting me this year.
    Ask my husband- I'm not young so much as crazy. :)

And with energetic people to teach, I find I can coast as long as I've done some planning, pretty minimal planning at that. Maybe most if it is being in a parish where people want the chant, from the top down.

It must be the music and the Holy Spirit, because it sure ain't me.
  • CharlesW
    Sounds to me like you and the Holy Spirit are doing a fine job!
  • Home School Groups are excellent at sharing information, make sure that the local ones know about your workshops. And the TLM people as well. And voice teachers. And music schools. And music teacher associations.