Visit to Pittsburgh's relic church
  • chonakchonak
    If anyone at the Colloquium would like to visit St. Anthony's Chapel, an impressive structure on Troy Hill that houses an enormous relic collection, it's open Sunday from 1 to 4 pm.

Info at: http://www.saintanthonyschapel.org/.
  • JamJam
    It's a beautiful church; I've been there before. On Good Friday, actually, with my Catholic roommates. It was really awesome to see relics of Sts. Cosmas and Damien, as well as several apostles--there are literally thousands of relics in the place; those are only the ones I recognized immediately. It was also cool to see whole skulls and other kinds of relics that put ordinary death-fearing Americans off. Along with thousands of relics, they also have life-sized stations of the cross. They're heavily anglicized, but the painting is skillful, imho.

If any of you can make it down there, it's well worth the trip. If you had a lot of people go down I think you can schedule a tour with just a suggested donation per person. iirc $3 buys you a vigil candle, but all the stands were totally full when I was there.
  • chonakchonak
    A few of us made it over there on Saturday, and some more on Sunday. While I was there, Fr. Kirby intoned the Salve Regina and the rest of us joined in, so I can confirm that the chapel has pretty good acoustics. Whether it's big enough to host a Vespers service at some future colloquium is not really sure.
  • Matins at 2 AM, perhaps? For the hearty souls?