Antiphonale Romanum (2009) question
  • RobertRobert
    For the Gospel Canticle "Salus et gloria" at second vespers of Sunday, the new Antiphonale provides the following direction at p. 457:

Tempore per annum, canticum Novi Testamenti canitur modo responsoriali, cum Alleluia.

Aliis temporibus, canticum Novi Testamenti canitur modo troparii, cum Alleluia et antiphona.

This would seem to be further explained at p. 10:

Antiphona ad canticum dicitur modo troparii ante et post canticum

My question: what is meant by "in the manner of a trope"? I know what a trope is, but I find this direction strange. Is it just that during ordinary time, there is no antiphon before and after the canticle, but in other seasons there is an antiphon? But then why not just say that? Is the canticle supposed to be interpolated somehow into the antiphon? If anyone has any insight into this, I would very much appreciate it!
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    In the Ordo Cantus Officii (p. 54, no. 97) this was expressed as follows: In omnibus temporibus, praeterquam in Quadragesima, canticum Salus et Gloria cantatur more responsoriali cum Alleluia.

In the new Antiphonale Romanum, during Advent, Christmas and Easter Season, an antiphon has been added to this canticle, which is sung before and after the canticle. Now, with the antiphon added, it is called modo troparii instead of modo responsoriali, but the canticle itself is still sung responsorialy with Alleluia. Note, however, that on page 457 the canticle is sung modo troparii, whereas on page 10 and 30 it is said that the antiphon is sung modo troparii. Strange indeed.
  • dvalerio
    I would interpret both indications as meaning that, rather than

||: first half of verse, Alleluia, second half of verse, Alleluia :|| Gloria Patri, Alleluia, Sicut erat, Alleluia

as is the case during Ordinary Time, during Advent, Christmas Season and Lent, the Salus et gloria is sung thus:

Antiphon ||: first half of verse, Alleluia, second half of verse, Alleluia :|| Gloria Patri, Alleluia, Sicut erat, Alleluia, Antiphon