'tis a beautiful day in Pittsburgh
  • matthewjmatthewj
    'tis a beautiful day in Pittsburgh...
    A beautiful day for a Colloquium...
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    Well, it opened up and rained during the Noon Mass here in Charleston! What's on the schedule for today? If nothing else, maybe some one can research in the university library, or surrounding parishes, for a copy of the Silveri "Fanfare" recently used at the Vatican.
  • I'd rather be in Pittsburgh.. I had a phone conversation with an older Irish priest about an upcoming Baptism. He couldn't understand why anyone would want to go back to the old Latin Rite and proceeded to tell me that the younger priests coming up don't know what they are talking about and none of them understand Latin. I had be nice since this was my wife's priest of her childhood. He reluctantly agreed, but I think we'll go another direction.
  • chonakchonak
    I wouldn't dispute the point with the old priest: I've heard zealous young priests whose Latin pronunciation is so odd that one can only wonder whether they can really read the language. Still, it is good to see priests taking some interest in Latin, and I can only encourage them to deepen their knowledge and facility.

Of course, thank Heavens, strong facility with Latin is not needed in order to celebrate the liturgy validly and licitly. If I remember right, the interpretation of Cdl. Egan (a noted canonist and Latinist) was that the ability to pronounce the words is the legal minimum required.
  • Carl DCarl D
    'Tis beautiful, yes, but also very ... vertical. ;-) Definitely getting some exercise.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I wouldn't mind the hills so much had I not stubbed my toe on my first day here. I'm walking with a slight limp now..

Also if I could only find someone with legitimate glasses so I could open this bottle of scotch...
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    It took me a while, but (like everyone else) I've found a few ways to make navigating San-Francisco-on-the-Monongahela easier. (The elevators in the parking structure and the Power Center are a godsend.) Could any Pittsburghers here ask the city council, though, to install an escalator between Epiphany Church and the Barnes and Noble? ;-)
  • JeanL
    Here in Pittsburgh--just got the July AGO Magazine--read the letters to the editor--would somebody please write the AGO Magazine--about this awful commentary on Restoring sacred music in the liturgy!!!
  • Carl DCarl D
    After attending the singing of the new compositions this afternoon, I just have one thing to say: We have some extremely talented composers doing fantastic work, and I am greatly heartened!

Carl
  • vincentuher
    Carl, is there a list of the new compositions that were sung? Any recordings of that session? Many thanks.
  • JeanL - The thing in the AGO magazine is getting out of hand... We need Dr. Mahrt to write to them!
  • Carl DCarl D
    Yes, I have the recordings and the list of songs. Will be posting as soon as I get a chance. But since I'm waylaid in Minneapolis because my flight to Denver got cancelled (long story), it's put a little damper on my ability to work on this. It's not exactly the easiest work to do in an airport.

But at least they put me in a hotel for tonight, for which I am thankful.

Carl