When I grow up, I want to be MA, Singing Mum
  • Kathy
    In San Diego for a family gathering, I went with some CMAA friends to "crash" the rehearsal at St. Anne's, an FSSP parish. The great MA (whose masterful interpretation of the quillisma carried off the 2009 Colloquium) led a THREE HOUR rehearsal. Chant first, polyphony second.

If I were in San Diego I would definitely join this choir. Vocal warmups include coaching equivalent to a terrific voice lesson, followed by the greatest liturgical music. She's friendly, challenging, a good listener, a good delegator, and she serves her people.
  • Dittos and hear, hear. Never have known anyone like her. And she had the sweetest 13 year old boy who'd created a 21st century cyber-manuscript of an offertorio, and then who sang it unabashedly with a lovely soprano tone with all the adults gathered around the manuscript placard. O quam gloriosam....!
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    i have heard her sing bach here: http://www.maryanncarr.com/soundClips.html and it is quite lovely. congrats.
  • don roy
    ive said it before but...

the better the musician the better the person and it doesnt get much better (on eather front) then with the singing mum. cant wait to see you at the colloqiem.
  • don roy,
    She's going to Solemnes this year. She can't do Coll. XX.
    Sorry.
  • Here's hoping she comes to Rome with us!
  • Thanks, Everyone! I just have to say that conditions for success are prime at St. Anne's. Clear requirements for the sacred liturgy, supportive and prayerful pastor, neat people In the choir- and all with a shared vision of Catholicism.
    I submit that the job of sacred musician is easier when one is allowed to, gee, develop a program built on sacred music. And I know I am blessed in that regard.

Kathy, what humbled me most in your kind comments is the bit about serving the people. It is my sincere aim to do so; please pray for me. It was tons of fun having you, Charles and Wendy at rehearsal.

I'm sad to miss the Colloquium, Don Roy! Bachlover, I love him, too! Cantata 51 is sheer joy for a sop like me.

And Michael, I fully plan on being in Rome if my audition goes well. Thanks for all you are doing.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    thank you for singing Bach like a full-blooded _musician_
  • Great to hear MA, it's going to be an experience of a lifetime. Everything is falling into place perfectly.