How to foster vocations to the priesthood and religious life in a choral enviornment
  • A few of the choristers I direct are uncannily adept at the chant. They are incredibly drawn to it and the sacred liturgy in general. The same is true for the adult choir.

I'm wondering how other directors foster vocations among their choir members, how one might expose singers to religious life- and without being weird or pushy in the least.

In considering a chorister and or choir pilgrimage, I think it might be rewarding to travel to a religious community that chants the office and Mass everyday. What communities would forum readers recommend? Our parish is in San Diego.

And one specific question- does anyone know of office-chanting communities of nuns in the US *without* an upper age limit? One choir member has repeatedly expressed interest in this and I'd like to help her.
  • You might check out http://abbeynews.com/Abbey-Liturgy.html
  • MA, nice topic.
    Over the years I've just taken the direct yet gentle (if you can believe that) approach of asking some of my young singers/musicians if they've been given any thought of a vocation. We just graduated a wonderful violinist who, I'm pretty sure, is considering one. He's chosen to "go on the road" with an inter-denominational praise team that travels world-wide in their evangelical missions. I hope he and his faith come out in tact once that stint is fulfilled. Other guys and gals that have gone on to college and remained active Catholics tend to graduate and then "try on" various types of lay missionary jobs. From there, it's all prayer....
  • Kathy
    Vespers, vespers, vespers. The heart of a vocation is formed by the Psalms.

Marian antiphons couldn't hurt.

MA, last time I went to Mass at Prince of Peace Abbey the music was RoR-ish. I imagine that would be a nice day trip. One of the Missions is nearby, and staffed by Franciscans, last I checked.
  • DougS
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but the use of the word "vocation" to apply only to ordained or religious ministry is a grave misapplication that is all too common in the Church. Doesn't everyone have a vocation, or calling? It's just that not everyone has a vocation to the priesthood or religious life.

We all know what everyone means when they say "vocation" in the Catholic context, but hopefully you can see that it would be wrong to suggest that married folks, for example, don't have a vocation. And if that's true, we are using the word improperly.

Just some food for thought.
  • Yes, I agree, just didnt want to make the original title too long. I just edited it to make it more specific.
    For the record, I live out my vocation as a married woman with three children (so far).
  • DougS
    Certainly. Didn't mean to offend by getting off-topic!
  • Well, Doug, you're right.
    But, as the Enemy knows, kill the priesthood, you kill the Church.
    37 years a married husband/father/grandfather, 40 years in musical service to our Church. And no offense taken here.
    I very much have enjoyed your joining our merry band!
  • No offense here either, I was happy to clarify the title.
    Prayers and ideas welcome.

Kathy, Vespers and Prince of Peace are both viable ideas- merci!