A Bishop's Problem: Please Help
  • Let's just imagine a bishop is looking for ideas as to how to get the people of his diocese interested in Gregorian chant. He has one, maybe two very busy musicians working for him directly. Though amenable to such a broad project, it is unlikely that they'd be able to add any more to their workload.

This bishop- like several I imagine- desires authentic liturgical renewal and recognizes the beauty and primacy of Gregorian chant. He'd prefer the incremental approach, and he's working at ground zero in all but a handful of parishes.

So, undaunted ambassadors for chant- let's get creative and resourceful and help him brainstorm.

Please give ideas on how to go about exposing people in parishes to chant.

And please consider how CMAA, in its national or regional membership, might be able to respond to such a need.
    Thanked by 1JonDeuling
  • MarkThompson
    Is there an existing schola somewhere in the diocese? Maybe they can be coaxed into singing at the next major liturgy at the cathedral. Nothing could be more "imcremental" than applying the Holy Father's approach -- propose, don't impose -- yet people need to be shown that a chanted Christmas or All Souls Mass won't make the roof fall down.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    A few ideas:
    -Diocesan chant workshops for all Pastors, Music Directors, and Liturgists.
    -Generous use of "the good stuff" at large diocesan gatherings (Rite of Election, Ordinations, etc.)
    -One or several (depending on Diocese size) volunteer Chant choirs.

And one big suggestion:
    Zero antagonism for contemporary music. As soon as people start to think they have to defend their current practices (whether the love them or are just in the habit), their ears, minds, and hearts clench up. Chant and polyphony should be presented as "an addition" rather than "a replacement."
  • CharlesW
    Where did you find this bishop?

My strategy has been to go slowly, remove some of the extremes from the popular culture, and add replacements that aren't so drastic they will shock anyone. A longer range view helps, but requires patience. Think in terms of five years rather than one.
  • eft94530eft94530
    exposing people in parishes to chant.

The bishop as moderator of the liturgy could require that
    every presider is to sing all dialogues at the Sunday Mass where chant will be used.

Someone asked me recently about sing-along files online.
    I could not find any for the Ordinary Form.
    CMAA members can create a set of mp3 files of all the dialogues for sing-along practice purposes.
    A single CMAA website page with them at the top
    and a CD for sale (at cost to cover materials and shipping) below, would be helpful.
    Of course the CD can be freely duplicated locally,
    but with a nice graphic label having website info,
    maybe people could order bunches and hand them out like candy to local priests.

Are there any free foreign-language software tools?
    Is it helpful to capture and visually compare a singing rehearsal?
    Could that go on the CD too?
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Dear MA,

What a timely post! I will be meeting with our diocesan director of divine worship to discuss similar issues very soon. We have been working to promote chant in our diocese for almost two years now. I can explain our own tactics, if that can be of any help.

INITIAL PUSH: Bishop Jenky envisions the cathedral as being a nucleus from which faithful around the diocese can experience a good liturgy. We hold many, many special events there during the year, and confirmations are usually held there. Chant at these liturgies provides exposure to the wider Church, and because they are done in junction with the customary four hymns and more modern choral pieces, it is less culturally shocking. People have heard it, musicians are intrigued, and they want to learn more. We started singing the Gregorian introit at every Sunday Mass at the cathedral about three years ago. We often also include the offertory and communion propers. These are all usually sung by a soloist – not ideal, but it serves its purpose. (Now that we have a schola, we also often “dress up” some of our chants, especially chant hymns, with parallel organum and drones – which is easier to digest by those who are used to sensually stimulating music.)

We also ordered in some nice, very inexpensive Latin Mass Hymnals for use at our Saturday Latin Vigil Masses. These include side by side translations for most of the Mass, and were put together by some volunteers out on the East Coast. The cantor for the Latin Vigil Masses sings the introit, and usually the offertory and communion chants for the day. (A less experienced cantor might sing a Latin hymn instead.)

CATHEDRAL CHANT SCHOOL: Almost two years ago, we began the next stage. The Cathedral Chant School is the nucleus where people around the diocese can come to learn chant in depth. The hands on experience is absolutely crucial for musicians who are interested in chant, but are timid about introducing it into their own parishes because of the different notation, musical styling, and language. Our diocesan director of music was not very versed in chant (now she is!), and is already incredibly strapped for time. So, they asked me to step in. I was not previously “on staff” at the cathedral, although I am a cantor and choir member. I have taken on all the responsibilities that concern chant at the cathedral. We have members who drive an hour in one direction to learn and sing with us, and we include both amateurs and professionals, and even a parish director of music and a professional conductor. Not only do we learn to sing the chants, but sessions are also spent exploring the liturgy with visiting priests, learning how to use resources, studying important church documents, practicing elements of conducting, learning how to do Lectio Divina, etc. We have sung for many major events, including a visit by Cardinal George, and the last two priestly ordinations. The Chant School is offered almost for free.

EVENTS: Events help tremendously to promote chant visibility throughout the diocese, if advertised properly. They also help to recruit new schola members. We have now hosted two exclusively Cathedral Chant School events: First Vespers of the Assumption at the cathedral last year, and Ash Wednesday Mass of the Extraordinary Form at a neighboring parish this year.

WORKSHOPS: About twice a year, I offer workshops to prepare other interested newcomers to join the Cathedral Chant School without feeling utterly overwhelmed. We cover the use of solfege, notation, finding online resources, etc. Dr. Jennifer Donelson has also visited twice to offer chant masterclasses. Additionally, I spoke about chant to about forty catechists at our annual Diocesan Institute last year.

FUTURE and EXPANSION TO OTHER PARISHES: Now that our repertoire and confidence is more established, I will soon be ready to start offering workshops at surrounding parishes. Our members are already from many different parishes, so I hope that some of them will be of help in inviting us into those parishes.

I hope this is of help. Like I said, we are still young, and there is lots to learn. I will be watching this thread for ideas as well!

Angela Manney
    Cathedral Chant School, Director
  • matthewjmatthewj
    When a Bishop is visiting parishes for Confirmations he should approach musicians who use Gregorian chant and ask them to volunteer for his Diocese to visit other Parishes that don't have Gregorian chant and bring his/her schola there.
  • Some great practical ideas! Please keep them coming.
  • I like the idea of volunteering as diocesan chant master. I've tried this here, but the rector of the cathedral is not too interested in chant. The bishop is a "get along" sort so he only pops in for big Masses. The "cathedral" has the feel of a normal parish most of the time.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Is the bishop not the chief liturgist of the diocese? Does he not hold an iron rod that he can wield at will?

Instead of trying to "bring people along", etc., why doesn't the bishop start MANDATING certain things and not allowing others?
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Zero antagonism for contemporary music. As soon as people start to think they have to defend their current practices (whether the love them or are just in the habit), their ears, minds, and hearts clench up.

I know for a fact that this is true, but, for the life of me, I can't understand it. I mean, it is just absolutely true that "contemporary" (contemporvent) material is 1) contrary to the whole of tradition, 2) discordant to the liturgical approach, 3) deeply offensive to vast numbers of Catholics, and 4) the subject of vast amounts of ridicule in popular culture. And yet, let someone in Catholic circles criticize it even slightly and there is wailing and gnashing of teeth. I don't doubt the authenticity of the hysteria and such criticism generates. I just can't understand it. Truly I can't.
  • incantuincantu
    Jeffrey, this isn't the concept I was looking for (the name of which will come to me, I'm sure), but I found this article on confirmation bias interesting and somewhat applicable to your situation. (And by that I mean why people reject things that are verifiably true, though we must admit that we are all subject to the same tendencies).
  • rollingrj
    Angela M., brilliant plan!

Paix, yes the bishop is the diocese's chief liturgist. However, using his croizer as an iron rod would probably not get the long-term desired result. Renewal is a process, not a fiat. Brick by brick.
  • newmanbenewmanbe
    @eft94530:

There are recordings of the Ordinary Form dialogues at http://musicasacra.com/audio/.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Jeffrey-

Basic psychology. No one wants to be told that what they have been doing is invalid or wrong. This is true of everything, but especially true when speaking about things as near and dear to people's hearts as worship and music.

My thoughts on the how to replace contemporvent music with sacred music:
    Introduce the best stuff. Teach the best stuff. Get people excited about the best stuff.
    Don't argue, don't try to convince.

If it is truly the "best stuff," the music that God wants us singing, it will take over. Slowly but surely, it will edge out the bad stuff. And if it doesn't wholly eradicate contemporary music, maybe the pieces that remain have a worthwhile place (as I believe they do). If it does eradicate it completely, then so be it- that was the will of God, and I can listen to my David Haas CDs in the car.
  • Adam, I agree completely. Let people see how great chant is w/o threatening them. I believe the music has power and trust to the Spirit to do the convincing.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    step by step...brick by brick...
  • I very much endorse the strategy and chronology that Angela took great pains to provide.
    To this I add-

*Avail the DM/Organist of the cathedral (and his rector) with what others have called a mandate from bishop, along with timetables and benchmark assessment points that eventually culminate with the weekly Sunday scheduling of an Ordinary Form Mass wherein virtually everything, save the homily, is chanted, whether in English (or another vernacular) or Latin. I would not advocate within this “mandate” the goal of scheduling an EF Mass, as there are parishes in proximity that offer that form weekly. This articulated mandate, chronology and methodology must also be published in the diocesan newspaper, and all diocesan parish bulletins initially, with updates published over time in the same organs.

*Have diocesan personnel (HR, arggghhh) staff prepare a census of parishes within the diocese that have: 1. Full time DM’s and/or Directors of Liturgy; 2. PT Ministers of Music/Choir Directors; Pastors/Administrators; other interested clergy/laity with experience and interest in chant. Have the diocesan Director of Lit/Worship, or the chair of its Worship Commission (if that’s the case) prepare, review, print and mail/email a document that expresses the bishop’s will to establish an ad hoc commission in which he charges members to assess their own parish practices in relation to the curial legislation, the USCCB document STtL, the bishop’s rightful obligation and authority to lead the Faithful towards greater orthopraxis, the scholarship and catechesis provided in these concerns by the Holy Father in many published books and letters, and any/all pastoral concerns these reorientations would put into action at the parish level.

*If the diocese already has a number of highly experienced DMs/organists and pastors who are prominently known associates of CMAA, NPM and/or certain publishers. They could be convened to meet with the cathedral DM and the bishop himself, for a face to face sharing of their experiences with “re-forming” whole parish liturgical/musical practices, whether towards chant, other traditional forms, or contemporary/multicultural forms. The bishop, if an extremely gifted listener as is the Holy Father, would thus demonstrate his collegiality as a gateway towards engaging the likely diverse philosophies of these prominent DM’s to accept their responsibility to faithfully and completely serve the Church and her faithful through collaborative consultation and actions, rather than conflict and divisive disagreement.

*Have the DM of the cathedral and other DM’s where chant and polyphony is normatively employed at service cull an agreed-upon library of chant repertoires, in both vernacular (most likely English and Spanish) language(s) and Latin, and in both square-neume and modern, stem-less notehead typesets (ie. American Gradual) that will be used in the cathedral program, and eventually in parishes in deaneries that have the musical personnel resources to initiate the regular, systematic use of chanted Propers and ordinaries at Sunday Mass(es.)

*If the diocese engages in producing televised Masses for shut-ins, encourage the management of the production company invite more scholas or chant capable choirs to provide music for those. In a similar vein, cathedral and parishes that use podcasting their services should make concerted efforts to integrate heavily chanted Masses into their podcast rotations on the web.

*If the diocese has a strong tradition of celebrating “multiculturalism,” the bishop should make known his desire to integrate the native culture of chant into diocesan liturgical and devotional events. Orders of Worship should reflect this so that the bishop can exemplify the chant tradition in his cantillation of collects and prayers, in Latin or not.

*The bishop should also entreaty the advice of his fellow ordinaries in the metropolitan as to these efforts, so that he can be regarded by his brothers as leading by example, rather than a pastor who defers responsibility upward.

That’s all I got, for now, MA.
  • Great ideas- eft, Angela, and Charles especially. Adam, I agree about letting chant be shown off, and average people tend to respond favorably.

I posted this partly because it occurs to me that many bishops would like to see chant in parishes. But many of this group could use the brainstorming ideas and tried tactics of faithful sacred musicians.

Like many I have observed, this bishop isn't domineering, nor is he timid. The sacred liturgy is a top priority, and he wants some ideas as to how best to foster an interest in chant. Keep in mind he has about 8,452 things on his to- do list, as father of a wonderfully large and rather dysfunctional family. :)

So that's where sacred musicians come in, to offer practical help and experience.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Charles, great ideas. I might pitch some of them tomorrow, when I meet with our diocesan director of divine worship. :)
  • Thank you, Angela. As Inge says to Herr Doktor in "Young Frankenstein," "Za feeleenk iss mootual!"
    The process in your post should serve as the template for dioceses and parishes that are efforting to right the boat and chart the straighter course.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    BTW, we've had the library idea on the back burner for a little while; the issue is finding the money for it.

What would you guys suggest for resources, especially for beginning chanters? I want the Gregorian Missal, and a couple Triplexes. I've heard good things about the Plain and Easy Introduction to Gregorian Chant. And of course, there would be the Parish Book of Chant.

It would also be helpful to get some liturgical materials, and resources on the Latin language. Suggestions?

And I second Adam's comments about making chant appealing; part of this thrust is to make sure the chant is sung WELL. This, of course, requires being very patient with a beginning schola. It can take a very long time just to learn a communion chant. We spent more than a couple hours learning a one-minute communion chant for the ordinations last Saturday. It was very well-received, though. I'd post a recording, but I don't know how to do it!
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Charles, I just got your above post. Yes, I do hope that we can serve as an inspiration to others, and it is so encouraging to get the positive feedback from CMAA members!

I've been documenting most of what we've been doing, keeping my notes from presentations, updates on progress, etc. I also put together a folder of chant basics for my beginner workshops. If anyone is interested in any of these materials, please contact me! I've got tons of stuff.
  • francis
    Practical

invite all interested musicians from each parish that would like to sing in their parish. Provide them each with a copy of the PBC and hold a workshop at the cathedral or somewhere central. Sing chant that is appropriate for the next six months for upcoming liturgies. Pick two or three feasts. Do not teach any rubrics to these people, but just get them singing the simple hymns in imitation. Let them experience the beauty. In six months or so, do another day and have them share their experiences. Sing together music appropriate for the next six months. Little by little those budding schola leaders will begin to emerge. They are the ones who may want to learn more about chant technique.

The key is to find those musicians in each parish who will go back and share the wealth.
  • Basic books should be:

Marier - A Gregorian Chant Masterclass w/CD (don't let the title fool you, it's a basic primer)
    Parish Book of Chant!

The Triplex, IMO, is for more advanced singers or directors. Good for checking things but overwhelming for beginners.
  • Are you kidding, Mike? The Triplex, to me, is like a Leonardo da Vinci Codex! I remember sitting behind one of our fellows (from NYC) at the SD Intensive and observing him transcribing chants from his Triplex, and thinking: that's what genius looks like.
  • Well, I guess if you want to learn what a podatus is, you should always have 3 to look at!
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    LOL, Michael. I've been writing chants on our whiteboard with the Saint Gall neumes over the square notes to give my students a sense of the fluidity of the chant, and hope to work more with that this year. I'm not planning to teach them how to read it extensively; I'm not fluent myself. It also helps keep more advanced chanters interested (I have a couple in my schola).
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Dear friends,

I am formulating a proposal for my diocese to introduce a chant masterclass open only to music directors and serious musicians. The Cathedral Chant School has apparently made an impact, because I already have seven people who are interested, and I haven't even started advertising it! We will meet once a month for two hours, and by the end of the year will have covered chironomy, psalm pointing, repertoire planning, and a multitude of other topics. Participants will take homework with them every month. I'm working on my syllabus now, and am super excited.

I would like to include within these sessions concrete plans by which various parishes have introduced chant back into their liturgies. I have seen some of these posted from time to time in the forum, and am wondering if any people would be willing to give skeleton outlines of what they did on this thread?

Thanks!