• Robsc
    Hello, I'm new to these forum.

Question: how many of you have to deal with Lifeteen in your parishes?

Have any of you successfully gotten rid of it, if so how?

In my 20 years of work for the Catholic Church I've never had anything as remotely difficult to deal with as the Lifeteen Movement.

Rob
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This might be completely ridiculous, and I have no direct experience to back up that this is a good idea, but...

What about infiltrating LifeTeen?
    Introduce some Gregorian chant with a techno beat or elec. guitar accomp; do a "rock" version of some polyphonic music...
    Then, once they like it, slowly but surely, start removing the instruments.
    "No, man! You're doing great- love those sweet power chords you've been workin' on. But- just to be different- lets try this one 'unplugged' and see how it goes."

Just a thought...
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    If you're in a suburban parish, new to the job, and value being employed, you'll let it be. If you're responsible for directing it, and this wasn't clear in your job interview, explain that this "style" of music isn't your strength and find a volunteer who would be willing to "ride herd" on the group. If it was clear, and you fixed in your mind that this was the first thing you'd tackle, this will be the ditch you die in, and it won't be pretty.

Jeffrey Tucker has addressed the question of different music at different Masses, and it would be well worth reading up on his philosophy. The "infiltration" idea will likely be met with suspicion and resistance, especially if you're known to be an advocate for chant, polyphony and organ music.

You will find in the long run that if you resign yourself to "peaceful coexistence" with the group and focus on developing other groups that study and sing chant and polyphony, you'll get a lot further along and survive better than if you agitate against it, as much as it may drive you nuts. Also, in taking the "support" route, people will hail you as "pastoral" for your support of "diversity" in the parish.
  • orourkebr
    Can I just ask before this thread goes any further, that this not turn into a "bash-fest" of LifeTeen, as it usually does.

No, it is not perfect, and neither is any group/movement/religious order in the Church; but my goodness it has done some amazing things for the youth of the Church, and brought many to an awakening of their faith, and for that I am thankful.

That is all.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    David, can you remind me/us where Jeffrey has written about the "different music at different Masses" matter?
  • orourkebr, My hackles get raised whenever anyone tries to limit discussion on an open forum. If I truly hate what LifeTeen has done to our church, I feel that I should voice that opinion. The founder of this movement has been ostracized from the Church and rightly so. Musically, I am suspicious of it, but mostly have issues with what they are doing catechetically. Yes, many young people may find this to be a gate to meet the Lord, but are they awakening to a Catholic faith? I often wonder.
  • miacoyne
    I have friends who grew up with this LifeTeen. (they told me.) They are very active in our church, and they are the ones set up the giant big drum set in the sanctuary and practice loudly in the church before Mass every Sunday. (Thank God, it finally got moved.)
    Sorry, I truly hope LifeTeen does better than this.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Our schola did a lifeteen Mass for the whole season of Advent two years ago. We used no instruments, lots of English propers, cool medieval polyphony, incense in abundance, etc. for the whole unplugged experience. In other words, we did what we mostly always do. It was the most successful lifeteen season ever.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Successful, how? Of course the music was dignified, fantastic, etc. But did the teens in attendance come away wanting more? Did they come away with even a bit of skepticism of the rock'n'roll approach to liturgy?
    Mark, I've had to learn that most people don't think systematically like this. They went away saying wow that was cool. They would probably the say the same if we were a rock band
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    They went away saying wow that was cool. They would probably the say the same if we were a rock band

Yup.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Jeffrey T,
    were you invited to participate in the after-Mass component of the LifeTeen program,
    whether as observer, or as instructor,
    for those weeks?
    No, I don't think so. We left after Mass.
  • Robsc
    I'm tring to reply but for some reason I'm blocked.
    Robsc
  • Robsc
    There we go.

Lifeteen came here about 5 years ago as a way of reviving the youth group. At first a resisted but after parents of the teens begged me, I agreed to help. I figured I could use the Lifeteen Music as a starting point and then introduce music more apropriate to the Mass. The teens were fine with this but boy did the adult leaders kick up a fuss. They of course had been to Arizona for the special traing camps that are put on for Lifeteen leaders. It always seemed to me to be more like brainwashing. What I figured out is Lifeteen is a business that want to squash all competition, nothing out side of the lifeteen brand is allowed. Our youth group, years ago, used to go to things like, World Youth Day, and pilgrimages to Rome. No more its Lifeteen Camps and Lifeteen events only.

This is my main concern, it feels like Brainwashing. The teens are members of Lifeteen first, Catholicism takes a distant second.

I'm concerned.
    Robsc
  • A quick google search brought up this article, and several similar articles.

That's pretty much all I need to know, and the second the word "lifeteen" is spoken at my parish, this is how I plan to address it.

I don't expect it to come here, however; our pastor is pretty savvy about stuff like this.
  • orourkebr
    Rob, I can definitely see what you're saying about the kids being members of lifeteen first, and then the Church second; I've never thought about it like that.
    Here in Columbus (OH) there are a few parishes that use lifeteen, and it is almost more about the brand than anything else. I've been in youth ministry for about 6 years and would never ever use lifeteen, because honestly I think it's a way for youth ministers to be lazy, everything comes pre-packaged for you, literally, in a box!

And it's a funny thing about your story, go figure it's the adults who are putting up the fight. I think this is the story across the country, and in many parishes.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    orourkebr, what parish are you from?

I've lived in Columbus for 3 years and have never heard the word "Lifeteen" spoken around here... I do hear all these "wonderful" things about a certain Parish down near the University and their "uplifting music." I always tell them they should try Holy Name if they're looking for a Mass to attend near OSU.
  • Robsc
    The think the lazy angle is correct. Also, Lifeteen enables parishes to get away with not paying for a real credentialed Youth Director. Why pay for some one who spent 4 years in a University to get a degree in youth ministry when you can send somebody to Lifeteen training camp for a week and pay then nothing?

I'm toying with the idea of sending that link on the founder of Lifeteen to my pastor. I wonder if he knows about it.

Robsc
  • G
    "The teens were fine with [better liturgy] but boy did the adult leaders kick up a fuss. They of course had been to Arizona for the special traing camps that are put on for Lifeteen leaders."

This was my experience exactly.
    In my case, I was not wanted to actually handle the music.
    Whenever the DRE wanted the Lifeteen group for a regular parish Mass, I was simply out of luck, (and out of pocket.... I add this so that you can know that I am NOT objective about this, and you should take everything I say with a grain of salt.)

After very few years the program died a natural death, as it was of more interest to the adults, decorum at their Masses and devotions was low enough (even by our low standards,) to cause concern to the pastor, and the semi-professional young adult musicians proved to be unreliable and often unprepared or uninformed.
    The middle-schoolers and high-schooler with actual musical skill and training weren't interested.

In my opinion, the Pep Rally model of Liturgy is even more destructive than the entertainment model

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • orourkebr
    Matthew, I'm a member at St. Patrick's currently. But previously did attend Holy Name for a couple years, as I lived across the street from it.

But there are a couple parishes with Lifeteen, in Grove City and in Sunbury; and they tried to do a diocesan wide monthly youth event the past couple years, with not much success.

And Rob, I think the deal with the Lifeteen founder is kind of a mute point really. And there's two narratives going on really with him. Recently the allegations of sexual misconduct against him were legally dismissed, so that in itself can be forgotten about, I think at least? But the other narrative is him becoming a schismatic and starting his own church, not good. Now, I will say that his actions are not completely a mute point, because as the founder, his actions must have some effect on the ministry. But he has not been involved with them for over 5 years and Lifeteen has totally broken off any sort of connection with him. I know some of the men in leadership there, and they are stand-up men of God.
  • Robsc
    I wonder though, if he still holds the copyrights on the Lifeteen brand and derives income from them.

I wonder also, why the Bishop's seem to be so silent on this issue.

Robsc
  • Bottom line is that when we try to emulate the "style" of Protestant megachurch, we cannot help but be influenced by its theology. The style is linked to theology just as chant is linked to Catholic theology. I really do believe this. I remember telling a former boss that we cannot compete with the megachurches on their turf. We have appeal to Catholics with Catholic things.
  • artdob
    Interesting to look at a Lifeteen "litury planning" magazine and compare their musical suggestions to what is asked via the GIRM. Options 1-3 of the GIRM are not surprisingly absent (e.g., Entrance options). That leaves the option of last resort (a suitable liturgical song similarly approved by the Conference of Bishops or the diocesan Bishop). Given that a number of the recommendations come out of non-Catholic Christian music movements, I would be further surprised if indeed the recommendations actually were approved as required.

I know we have similar challenges with non-Lifeteen music, but this further broadens the divide between what Rome is asking for versus what is being implemented - and grows part of the next generation of Catholics to have further distance in understanding and appreciating the musical traditions of the Catholic church.
  • IanWIanW
    we cannot compete with the megachurches on their turf. We have to appeal to Catholics with Catholic things.

Hear him, hear him (hammers table, passes port)
  • orourkebr
    Well I know that his bishop, Bishop Olmsted was not silent at all on the issue, given how popular Fushek was in the area.
  • Robsc
    You would think, given the popularity, of the Lifeteen movement a little more oversight from the US Bishops would be in order.

Rob
  • Amen about Catholics and appealing to them with Catholic things.

I was (sssshhh!) a lead singer in a LT band before I knew any better.
    My biggest problem is that it separates the generations, and has the tendency to pit them
    against eachother.

We are all members in one Church. Youth group, yes. Weekly or monthly parish Mass for one age group, why?
  • stccpstccp
    8/8/10

I am new to this forum and I Just came across this "Life Teen" discussion. As background to this question, I prefer the Tridentine Mass and am a fan of sacred music associated with the Latin Mass. Each time I run across the Life Teen subject, it seems to be shrouded in controversy. I know little about it. Could someone explain the pros & cons of this organization?

I ask the question because I am working on a teen-young adult, music-based, evangelization project which stresses orthodoxy and faithfulness to the Magisterium. The principle focus of our ministry is the advancement of the Culture of Life by the promotion of authentic Catholic family values to today’s youth. We are looking for ways to reach young people with non-rock type music. This is an independent apostolate and not associated with any particular parish.

I am also wondering if I should avoid contacting "Life Teen" Parishes? Any ideas of comments would be appreciated.

JB
    olswa@sssnet.com
  • chonakchonak
    I don't see any reason to avoid parishes with "Life Teen". Life Teen has the reputation of being orthodox in its catechetical and evangelization aspects; and it doesn't prescribe any particular type of music, so music directors don't have to follow the stereotypical "praise and worship" pop style used in many places. At least one music director on this forum has used chant with the LT participants in his parish. Some others have taught chant to their P&W groups.
  • marajoymarajoy
    I think it depends on the parish. A parish that is already "unorthodox" will most likely take some of the negative aspects of LT to their furthest degree... But a parish that is already pretty solid in its faith can utilize LT as the basis for a really great high school youth program.

I'm not too familiar with some of the offical directions of LT, I only know what I personally experienced at the parish I grew up, which was a very excellent and orthodox parish. (I have heard it claimed that this particular parish has the highest number of seminarians in the western hemisphere!)

For example, (back before I cared about things like this,) the teens were invited to stand around the altar...but as soon as it was pointed out that this was innappropriate, that was stopped.

I'm not sure if the LT affiliation requires a certain type of music or anything, but I'm sure we all have an idea of what sort of music IS used at most LT Masses, but I'm not convinced that this is necessarily a bad thing. I'm sure that many people on this forum will strongly disagree with me--but I speak from PERSONAL experience as I firmly believe that my high school involvement in this parish's unusually excellent LT program was quite formative and positively influential in my spiritual journey, and here I am now!!--so I do believe that this can be a positive step, especially for high schoolers who (I believe) may need or desire a worship/Mass experience that is perhaps more "emotional" than would otherwise be appropriate. I am not sure that if chant had been forced down our throats at LT we would have been enthralled or inspired.

I also don't know if this is particular to the parish that I was at, or if this is common to all LT programs, but Eucharistic Adoration as well as things like "having a personal relationship with Jesus" (which I think is very unfortunately lacking from many "traditionalist" parishes!) were also very prevalant in my LT experience.
  • JeanL
    Most of what I have encountered with "youth ministry" is simply inane. I don't want to belittle anyone, but my experience is that "youth ministers" are simply glorified baby sitters, and groups like lifeteen actually do far more harm than damage. They trivialize the faith, the liturgy and the church. I've seen well intentioned teens partake in youth ministry, and when they go to college and have their first philosophy classes, their whole faith is unraveled. Any youth oriented program that is superficial and irreverent will produce those same results (and unfortunately this seems to be predominant in "youth ministry.") Even places like Newman centers (with the exception of a few) do more damage than good. The church survived and passed it's faith on without "youth ministry" until the 1960s. The only youth ministry that I know is reputable is the Juventutem, and I don't know if they exist in some form in the USA.