Memorial Acclamation A
  • Also known as "Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again," from the soon-to-be-obsolete Roman Missal.

To my knowledge, this is not, and has never been, a "sanctioned" Acclamation to use, but I find myself stumbling over the reasons and not having a lot of success in the research department. I need someone who's more savvy on this to give me the real dirt on this little fella.

Also, I know the jury was our as to whether or not this (or a variation thereof) was even to be included in the NRM. Any final decision?

Cheers,
    Dan
  • MarkThompson
    It's sanctioned as an adaptation to the Missal for use in the United States, so that might be why you're having a hard time researching reasons that it's not sanctioned. ;) As to the upcoming new translation ("NRM"?), my understanding is that the decision is still pending.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Dan, I'd recommend taking a look at this thread from a couple of weeks ago… see the middle and later posts especially, and the attachments and links.

My understanding is that the new translations of the Memorial Acclamation (now to be called "the Mystery of Faith") are simply accurate translations of the three existing Latin ones. Of the four current English options, only one is an approximation of a translation; the others are "adaptations," more or less. And the "A" option ("Christ has died…") isn't grammatically or theologically parallel to the others, especially given that it's not addressed to Christ. (See especially the Adoremus link in the thread above.)

I'm thinking that "a U.S. adaptation has yet to be decided by the Holy See" is code for, "it ain't gonna happen."

A good thing, as far as I'm concerned.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Does anyone know why "Christ has..." was introduced as an approved adaptation in the first place? Who requested it? Why did they want it? Why was it allowed?
  • godfrey
    As far as I have been able to determine it finds it roots in the Eucharistic Prayers for Masses with Children which has an additional acclamation which is where this one came from.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Fun fact:
    The Canadian English Missal has different sung introductions for Memorial Acclamations B, C and D. "Let us proclaim the Mystery of Faith" is only recommended for Memorial Acclamation A.

The others are:
    Priest: Praise to You, Lord Jesus, firstborn from the dead!
    R: Dying you destroyed our death ...

Priest: We are faithful, Lord, to your command!
    R: When we eat this bread ...

Priest: Christ is Lord of all ages!
    R: Lord, by your cross

I'm wondering if this will be included in the new Missal in Canada...