• Kathy
    I started to put this in the "Observations" thread, because it's about how I spent my Friday evening. Anyways, I watched this new age sort of movie called August Rush. I don't necessarily recommend it, but it did have some interesting things to say about receptivity regarding music. The idea of the movie is that if you listen, there is a music, and it's trying to speak to you and find you.

As I said, it's pretty new-agey. But I was wondering about how it does, and doesn't apply to chant. Chant is foreign-sounding yet somehow resonates. It comes from outside but we recognize it and fairly easily make it our own. It may be easier to love if you actually sing it, rather than simply hear it.

It's a human language, not the music of the spheres. Like our words, it reflects The Word, with its rationality and beauty.
  • Charles in CenCA
    I haven't had the nerve to view it on satellite, Kathy. I'm fairly played out with young mister Freddie Highmore (isn't that the young Brit actor's name?) And in particular as he's a prodigal kid channeling the late great Michael Hedges and Tommy Emmanuel, Tuck Andress and all the two-handed guitar tappers. Maybe we can view it at MA's, her hubby being the pro git-fiddleist in residence.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I consider Gregorian Chant (and other forms of chant, generally) to be an excellent sign/symbol/metaphor for the incarnation: fully human and fully divine. (I touched on this a bit in my suggestion that Ascension Sunday would be a good opportunity to introduce a bit of chant if you aren't already doing it).

[On my blog] I have described the quality of chant as "earthy heavenliness." There is nothing quite so sublime as the sound of chant echoing through a resonant cathedral, and yet the music is fully human and natural- coming from the mouth, throat, mind, and soul of a human without aid of any humanly-created thing (this is partly why I'm against any accomp. to chant). It is imminently human- closer to the sacred ground and dirt floors that lovers of folk music associate with ethnic styles. Any performance of it will lay bare even the smallest of vocal defect or attempt at artifice, revealing the flawed humanity of the singer and spurring him or her on in the virtuous pursuit of musical perfection. The courage to sing Gregorian Chant, as naked as it is, brings the singer back to Eden, when we were not ashamed of the forms our bodies took, and did not feel the need to hide behind instruments of our own creation.

When Chant is sung correctly (without accompaniment) our music is unchained from the pernicious (yes, I said it!) yoke of tempered tuning, and the actual harmonic relationships created by God are finally heard, untampered by human ingenuity. In this way, it ACTUALLY IS closer to the "Music of the Spheres." (This is the bigger reason I am against accompaniment to chant).

As I have said in a number of comments on other blogs, posts on my own blog, and (I think) a few threads here at this forum- I love contemporary music, and folk music, and I have no issue with them at Mass (within limits). I have no problems with guitars and drums and David Haas. But there is nothing like Chant. The fathers of Vatican II were right to call for its restoration, and (even when I disagree with their theology and intolerance of modernity) I find that the Reform2 crowd embodies the "Spirit of Vatican II" more than any "progressive liturgist" ever could, when they work tirelessly (and often for free) to restore Chant to its Proper place in the Mass (and its Ordinary place, too).
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Adam, are you coming to the Colloq? Love to meet up.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    No money this year.

And I am planning to start the Masters in Liturgical Music summer program at St. Joe's in Indiana next summer, which means I'll probably be missing out for the next few years. (I will, however, have the chance to study with Columba Kelley while there, so that will be a consolation).

If something happens that I don't start that program (not passing my entrance exams, which is likely considering my keyboard skills), I'll attend the colloq. instead.

Perhaps we can meet some otherwhere. I'm in TX, so if you're ever on your way to the Watershed people...

(And by the way... if everyone can pray that over the next year I'll have the discipline to practice/study for my entrance exams, that would be great... I graduated from music school just 6 years ago and its amazing how much I've forgotten).
  • CharlesW
    With apologies to Kathy and Charles, I have never heard of either August Rush or Freddie Highmore.

While I am a proponent of chant, I don't wax nearly as romantically about it. I like it, but believe me, there are times I would rather hear the organ. Unaccompanied voices can get pretty tiresome too, after a point. And really, they are both just instruments that are, at times, anything but heavenly sounding. I advocate chant not because of any perceived perfection, but because I find it still to be the best liturgical music available.

Sometimes I take issue with those on this forum who, it seems to me, have never forgiven the Church for Vatican II. In fact, I was just having this discussion with someone yesterday. Yes, the current NO liturgy grew out of the 1962 Roman Rite. Yes, it is possible to use the Roman Canon and fit chant to the NO, which certainly improves its solemnity. But in practice, the Roman Canon isn't used often in many places, chant sometimes doesn't fit what is actually going on, and in essence, it is a new rite of mass - again as practiced in the U.S. Oh sure, we can all go off to a selected location, and recreate mass as we would like it to be. However, many of us are stuck in the U.S. Church world as it is, and are doing a good bit of damage control. No amount of chant can make this a perfect world. So while I don't fault the good intentions of anyone here, I tend to look at all this more pragmatically than romantically.
  • miacoyne
    Church musicians might be interested in doing this in summer, chant class.

I give out this note to parish people (usually inserted at the end of the leaflet for the Mass and in church bulletin),

- As our Holy Church and our Pope wish that Gregorian chants are used more widely and sung by more Catholics in the Holy liturgy, the chant classes are open to everyone who is interested in learning Gregorian chants. The classes are held on Tuesdays at the church of Resurrection chapel at 7:30. [my email address] for more info. -

with a couple of quotes like this,
    "The Church acknowledges Gregorian chant as specially suited to the Roman liturgy: therefore, other things being equal, it should be given first place in liturgical services." (Section 116, the Second Vatican Council, in its Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy)

I also love this quote by our Holy Father,
    “…let us especially entrust all lovers of sacred music to her motherly protection, so that always enlivened by genuine faith and sincere love of the Church, they may make their precious contribution to liturgical prayer and effectively contribute to the proclamation of the Gospel..” Sistine Chapel, 2006
  • DougS
    I agree with Charles. Such a romantic view of chant just comes across as saccharine to me.
  • miacoyne
    May I ask what exactly the Romantic view is?

Is this one?

"An authentic renewal of sacred music can only happen in the wake of the great tradition of the past, of Gregorian chant and sacred polyphony" Pope Benedict XVI, Sistine Chapel, 2006
  • CharlesW
    Earthly heavenliness, music of the angels, most beautiful sounds this side of heaven - like anyone actually knows what heaven sounds like, etc. That's all rather saccharine. Chant is good liturgical music, but is none of the above, since all those descriptions are pretty subjective.
  • miacoyne
    So Charles, in your opinion why chant is good liturgical music?
    count me among those made of saccharine then. The astonishing glory of G chant is a persistent theme in my life, a source of stability, the core of my own conviction as a Catholic, my means to touch eternity. It's not just music. It's everything.
  • CharlesW
    Chant is part of the liturgical package. Not the most important part by any means. Christ, present on the altar, is the most important part. The core of my conviction is acceptance of the doctrines and the valid apostolic succession of the Church. It isn't music. Music is part of the means to an end, not the end itself.
  • mjballoumjballou
    In my opinion, chant is good liturgical music because that is all it is - "liturgical music." It is attached to sacred texts and until very recently had no use outside liturgy. Only with the Internet and ubiquitous sound systems has chant started to turn up everywhere from spas to video games.

It can be well executed or sung hideously. It is not, in and of itself, automatically sublime, heavenly, angelic, etc. Its "pride of place" derives not from an aesthetic judgment but from its inseparability from sacred texts.
  • CharlesW
    Amen, mjballou, Amen!
  • miacoyne
    Thank you Charles and Mary Jane. Of course it's not authomatically beautiful, no music is automatically beautiful. I think that's just basic assumption for any musicians. But I can say that I feel very blessed to acquire a 'Romantic view {?),' because through chant I'm in love with Church and God, which makes me love chant more and desire to learn to sing more beautifully. I know there are many people who share this experience here. Although I can understand that people who don't have this experience can see the expressions as 'saccarine.'
  • Kathy
    Perhaps Gregorian chant is not the *only* music with the flexibility, subtlety, artistry, and submissive intent to enhance and convey the scriptural and liturgical words it accompanies. But I'd be hard pressed to name another kind of music that does this so well.
  • DougS
    If chant is everything, what place does the Eucharist have? An unfair question, sure, but I simply do not understand the sentiment.
  • miacoyne
    Do you think you got the impression people say chant is 'everything', because of the nature of the forum? I've been in this forum for about 2 years, but I never heard anyone say that. As far as I know, people here who love chant has faith that knows chant is not everything. But people like me is sad to see that many Catholics in parishes don't even hear chant in Masses at all.
  • CharlesW
    Chant can add to a mass that's already being properly celebrated with reverence and dignity. It forms an appropriate background for a more traditional liturgy. It can, however, appear strangely disconnected and out of place in a mass that's a bit off-the-wall to begin with. Chant is part of a package, but can be relatively meaningless when divorced from that package. Also, the fact that it is often attached to sacred texts that are in a language very few understand or speak anymore, can make it anachronistic. The exception would be Anglican chant, which seems a perfect fit in Anglo-Catholic masses. Chant is not everything. I view it as utilitarian music that can well serve an appropriately celebrated liturgy. Between chant and the eucharist, there is never a contest.
  • Kathy
    Chant is foreground, not background. The texts sung to Gregorian chant are *liturgical* texts--they are integral to the Mass.
  • miacoyne
    Thank you Kathy. Something we really need to remember.

My schola has been singing in Masses, that you won't say 'properly celebrated with reverence and dignity'. But after a few years of having chants sung, I see lots of changes. One example is, our pastor who allowed my schola sing chant, I'd say with 'hesitance,' now lead some simple chant in daily Masses, and have them in Sunday Masses. He also thanks schola at the end of the Mass for deepening the prayers in Mass through chant. (He is not one of those priests who thank everyone all the time at Mass.)
    This summer he is having the sanctuary redone! (toward more tradtional way) The church building is very contemporary with carpet and all. But he is having a new altar, and guess what! the parish choir is not going to be up in the sanctuary anymore. (the schola has been singing from the back.) It's not going to be perfect, but our schola and I are very very happy with all these changes. Of course I'm not saying this is all happening because of the schola and chant. But I know they had a big influence on our worhsip in this parish and will continually do so.

But what I really like to see is each parish also has Traditional Mass celebrated witn reverance and dignity as our Pope mentioned, so parish people have easy access to it and learn this beautiful tradition of Catholic worship.
    I know interest in Catholic tradition and traditional Mass is growing in this area. (Most parishes are still heavily contemporary.) One of women's group which has a good number of members are planning to have Traditional Mass and explanation of the Mass in the fall. They already invited a priest from a different diocese and asked us to come and sing chant. Well, many exciting things are happening here.
  • CharlesW
    In essence, if you have a valid consecration of the elements, you have a mass. All the rest adds something to the mass, but is not essential to the same degree.

My parish has a Traditional Mass, a Spanish Mass, A Byzantine Divine Liturgy, and 5 NO masses each weekend. The numbers are pretty stable at each type of liturgy. The people who are interested in a particular liturgy attend, and particular liturgies are not attracting people from any of the other liturgies. The only growth is from people who are new to the city.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Gotta say... for all the flack I get over my liberal heresies and guitar music, I never thought I'd get any pushback on this forum for waxing romantic about Gregorian Chant. :)

There are some for whom the strength of the conviction in the rightness of their faith is enough- they need no ornamentation or rapturous emotional experience to know and understand the presence of God.

For the rest of us, God has "give[n] us grace through sacramental signs, which tell us of the wonders of [His] unseen power." Water, oil, fire, ashes, hands, smoke, perfume, the wood of the cross, the sway of the vestments, the taste of the wine... God wraps Himself in the stuff of our life so that we, who cannot perceive eternity, can catch a glimpse, a whisper, or a taste of heaven. Music in general and chant in particular is one of those signs for me. Yes, it is also utilitarian- but I cannot fathom that the Holy Spirit was not involved in the creation of this music, and that (along with every other individual) God thought of me in particular when composing these love songs for me to sing back to the Great Lover of my soul.

Yes, consecration is valid whether you're singing Chant, David Haas, Michael W. Smith, U2, or nothing at all. But my marriage is also valid whether my wife have a romantic dinner once a week or stare at the television every night slurping up fast food- validity isn't the point. I believe that God, like my wife, desires more from me than a valid convenant- She wants love songs and well-prepared meals and candles and for me to dress nicely once in a while.

God has given us (collectively and individually) many great gifts in this regard, partly (I think) because we will not all respond to the same thing. I, for example, can barely stand organ music- many people in this forum find it to be rapturous and glorious and full of the majesty of God. I love Birds of Paradise. You may hate flowers. Some people seem to get a lot out of Baroque style vestments. I prefer Gothic revival. Still others couldn't care less what the priest is wearing.

Chant is not my favorite music (nor is Chrism my "favorite scent" or ashes my "favorite thing to rub on my forehead on a Wednesday")*, but it is certainly one of my favorite ways to pray, and I can't help but have a romantic attachment to it. Certainly there are those who veer into an idolatrous attachment to particular incidentals, and it is wise for us to be aware of any tendencies in that direction. But, just because there are people in the world with food addictions and eating disorders (and others who just don't care that much one way or the other about food) doesn't mean I shouldn't spend some time and energy really enjoying wonderful food and talking about it with other people who also like to prepare and eat gourmet fare.

[*Breakfast sausage, in both cases.]
  • CharlesW
    I am glad we have chant, vestments, etc. They add to the mass, and I have never advocated removing any of them. But I think one valid criticism of the "Traditional Mass" crowd, is that they are often too attached to externals. It's a matter of perspective, I suppose. While all the "goodies" are important and nice to have, scripture mentions nothing of chant, scholas, cantors, communion antiphons, vestments, polyphony, or Latin in that original upper room. Those are all creations of Europe in or near the Middle Ages. Again, perspective is a good thing to have. The parts of the mass from the upper room are critical and essential, the rest is not. It's all beautiful, inspiring, and such, but not essential.
  • Kathy
    Charles, you're mistaken about Scripture. The Gospels tell us several times about Jesus' change of clothes, to be a servant, to be a King. The Hebrew Scriptures are explicitly directive about priestly vestments. After the Last Supper Jesus and the Eleven chanted Psalms of praise. The early Christians, according to the Acts of the Apostles, met on the Portico of Solomon for the breaking of bread AND the prayers.
  • miacoyne
    Charles, unfortunately we were not in that original Upper room. Instead we have Church through which God continually teaches and pulls us together with Her tradition. And chant is one of them. Personally God's presence becomes more real to me through chant, the Church's own music. Because it teaches you humility, the humility to accept the teachings of the Church instead of my own, and that is necessay to meet God at the Eucharist. It also sounds logical to me that since the sacrament is given through Church, we have Church's own music in Mass.
    The Church's teachings and traditions actually enhance our understanding of the Scripture, including the upperroom, which is essential to our faith. She helps us to receive graces more fully from the sacraments and understand His teachings.
  • eft94530eft94530
    CharlesW: I advocate [...] because I find it

The Church asks for it, and so we advocate for it.

it is a new rite of mass

Holy Father Benedict XVI wrote clearly
    http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/motu_proprio/documents/hf_ben-xvi_motu-proprio_20070707_summorum-pontificum_lt.html

Art. 1. [...] sunt enim duo usus unici ritus romani.

two uses of the one roman rite.
    to clarify, I don't mean that chant is more important than the sacraments. What I mean is that for me personally chant was the road to the faith and the core of the ritual that keeps me constantly engaged and in a state of awe. it is my way of prayer and my means of transport to the sacraments.
  • DougS
    Adam, I agree with you for the most part. I just think it's a little over the top to speak of chant as if it is "untampered by human ingenuity." There are still notes on a page.
  • miacoyne
    JT, I think most of us understood what you meant, but thank you for clarifying.
  • j13rice
    What CharlesW describes as "goodies", I would describe as essential. Essential for a valid Mass? No. Essential for the the well-being of the Church? Definitely. The strength of the Catholic liturgy is admission of various forms of art, in addition to language, that facilitate a deeper understanding of the mysteries being celebrated. The tragedy of the last forty years is that as language has become more prominent (a good thing I believe), we have greatly lost the understanding as Catholics that music, architecture, art, gestures, processions, smells, etc. can inform us theologically in much different, possibly more profound, ways than a homily or even the reading of a prayer. These are important tools for evangelizing and catechizing that keep the faith strong. We have gone astray when talking about these tools of liturgy, for instance, music, in terms of how they make us feel about ourselves, or in architecture, how the church building facilitates our participation. Not that "we" the people aren't important, but rather, we should think in terms of how the architecture or music better communicates our understanding of God and the mysteries we are celebrating. CharlesW is correct that we easily and often fall into the trap of considering the "goodies" for their own sake. Therefore, we need to always ask the question of how these things serve the essence of the liturgy.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "Untampered by human ingenuity"
    By which I mean, human created instruments and (especially!) tempered tuning, as opposed to the instruments and harmonic relationships created by God.
    (On that note- the only time I have ever felt worshipful when singing "Praise and Worship" music was when singing it with people from the Church of Christ tradition- who sing accapella. It's amazing what removing instruments and adding four-part harmony and counterpoint can do for songs like "Here I Am to Worship" and "Hide Me Away, O Lord.")
    (And also- I can't believe there isn't more discussion about the tuning issue around here...)

Jeffrey- I understand where you're coming from. For me it's not just chant and polyphony, it's many styles of music- but still: "the road to the faith and the core of the ritual that keeps me constantly engaged and in a state of awe. it is my way of prayer and my means of transport to the sacraments."
    Yes!
  • DougS
    Jeffrey T.,

Thanks for clarifying. That makes a lot of sense, and I have a similar story.

Adam,

What God-created harmonic relationships are you referring to exactly? And what tuning do you suggest instead? Just whatever we come up with on the fly? Singers in the shape note tradition do this, unaccompanied by instruments. Is their music God-created, too?

The whole notion of "God-created" musical materials is what stumps me, I guess.
  • CharlesW
    I think my point was that there was no Tridentine Mass celebrated in the upper room. What was celebrated is the core of our faith, but it did not involve Latin, Gregorian chant, or gothic vestments. All those are add-ons since the original event. Are they important? Yes, but not to the same degree.

I am aware of what Pope Benedict says about the two forms of the Roman Rite. I think he is stretching that a bit. Perhaps in its ideal state, the NO is close enough to be called another form. But as practiced, the connection is not always evident.
  • Kathy
    dshadle,

The harmonic relationships in untempered, small-range singing are in simple whole-number ratios.

I don't know if that's angelic, but it's intriguingly elegant.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Re: Tuning

All music of every tradition naturally follows certain physical laws that govern which frequencies become assigned as notes which get sung. These physical laws create the over tone series, which is the basis for musical scales and the relative "size" of intervals like a major third or a perfect fourth. These rules govern both melodic (horizontal) movement and harmonic (vertical) relationships.

The trouble is that, when starting from any given tonic note and building a full natural scale above it, the distance between, for example, Do(1) and Re(2) is not exactly the same as the distance between Re(2) and Mi(3) or Sol(5) and La(6). This isn't a problem when singing accapella music, and wasn't even thought of as an issue for thousands of years.
    But, with the introduction of keyboard instruments, it's a huge problem. You need the relationships to stay constant from one half step to the next half step, but they simply don't when using the perfect math of the overtone series. The answer was fought over and debated among musicians, theorists, and composers for quite some time. There were several competing tuning systems in use during the time of Bach. What won out was the system we use today: tempered tuning. Some of the half steps have been smashed, others stretch, so that each one is the exact same distance from the one above and below it. The end result is that thirds, fourths, fifths, and sixths on a piano or organ keyboard (or guitar frets, or almost any contemporary instruments with discreet pitches) are all the wrong the size. They simply don't sound right. Most people wouldn't know this, but it still affects the way we hear the music and perceive it. (Try playing a Barbershop Quartet on a piano... it just won't friggin' sound right no matter what you do).

Tempered Tuning was an amazing achievement of human ingenuity, and without it we probably wouldn't have Bach we certainly wouldn't have Mozart or Beethoven. But the fact remains that it tampers with the perfect harmonic and melodic relationships created by God.

Tempered Tuning is modern music's dirty little secret, and most musicians -even conservatory trained musicians- don't have any idea about it. For the most part, it isn't discussed or talked about in music schools because... well- what are you going to do it about it? Abandon the piano?

The good thing, though, is that as soon as singers (and string players) with decent ears are left to their own devices, they will automatically revert to natural tuning.

Again- this is why I'm so against accompaniment to chant. It isn't just that isn't idiomatic. As soon as you play an organ with the chant, the chanter is actually singing the wrong notes. Especially in a modern parish where people think chant is boring- this is intensely problematic because people cannot make an accurate judgement about the quality, beauty, or usefulness of music if they have never actually heard it. The power of natural tuning should not be underestimated- hearing a chant or piece of polyphony without tempered tuning after having done it with instruments almost feels like your ears have popped like on an airplane. If there is any spiritual power in the particulars of Gregorian chant, natural tuning is certainly a part of it.

For more info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well_temperament
    http://www.amazon.com/Temperament-Solved-Musics-Greatest-Riddle/dp/0375403558

This isn't romance or metaphysics, it's just basic math.
  • Warning (rambles written in the midst of a FL monsoon ahead)

Ah Charles, I'm glad you came back to this point, which is very Calvinist one, I have to say (in all charity). Jesus's poverity on earth and the simplicity of the Last Supper (they were poor by choice, after all) have been thrown in face of Catholics for centuries. Our Church is a Church Triumphant. When we use rich articles and materials, we show to the world that Jesus has triumphed over death itself and that we are a redeemed people. To express this we bring the very best that the world has to offer to the service of God. Why would we make church vessels out the most expensive metal known to us? Because that's what we would do for an earthly king. How much more important is Christ our Savior? The 60s, alas, confounded what was a good reminder that even earthen vessels IF THAT IS ALL WE CAN MAKE are pleasing to God. We were reminded that the poor are God's special people. What happened was that hippies convinced us all to ACT like we were poor. How many actually sold all they had and followed Christ?

Everything that has entered the Mass since that Thursday in the Upper Room has come through the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. Now, you may have issues with keeping the trappings of medieval and Renaissance royalty, but those things, which were once very contemporary in appearance have now become "traditional". Our Church embraces Tradition in its teachings and whenever we turn our backs on tradition (small t) we cast aspersion on the Big T Tradition, don't we?

I understand your reservations. You want to keep the focus on what's important and perhaps think that traditional trappings are a distraction. Sometimes they are to be honest. We could do as Calvin did and white wash the churches and ban instruments and most music from the service, but that creates a sense of a rather nihlistic God IMO. Personally I think ALL Masses should be reverent. Doing anything else confuses and misleads the faithful. There can be levels of solemnity, though. A high EF Mass may be too much for many people. There is a lot going at the same time and it's well out of their experience, but by gradually orienting all Masses to be reverent (knocking off the gameshow host mentality of some priests and the poor dress of many lectors) we can at least do what I think Christ expected. There is no evidence that He cracked jokes in the Upper Room either. In fact, as we read the Gospel, rarely do we see Christ trying to "relate" to the people. Sure, he tells parables, but a good number of them went over his audience's heads. Anyway, back to music. I've always thought that no music for the Mass was better than badly realized music. Yes, bad chant is worse than good pop music because it tells the faithful that giving the "last fruits" is acceptable to God. It's not.
  • CharlesW
    Michael, I think we agree, essentially. I am not saying we should ban anything, but keep in mind that some things are of a higher order and significance than others. I address that to the "chant is everything," crowd. Chant isn't everything, it is one thing among many things, some being more important than chant. As for those trappings of medieval royalty, they don't have quite the same effect in polyester, do they?
  • LOL, no the beauty of vestments is somewhat lessened by the amount of plastic fiber in them!

I'll be first to say that chant is not everything, but it sure does do the job IMO (and seemingly the Church's) a lot better than a second-rate pop tune.

I know I've said this before, but we have to change the perception of what Mass is, before people will understand the need for Gregorian chant. As long as they think music is meant to "lift them up", chant seeds will find rocky ground.
  • G
    As long as they think music is meant to "lift them up"

Isn't that the point of the whole Mass? Spiritual zoloft or red bull, whichever you need...?

The other thread about Lifeteen reminded me that instead of a homily one week we were treated to the impressions of several teens who had just come back from retreat.

The "main thing" about the four days?

The most articulate one elucidated: "made great new friends, really great music in the evenings... "oh, and so much fun, even the Mass was fun!"

Actual quotes.

Save the Liturgy, Save the World!
  • DougS
    Adam, that's a huge gloss on the history of tuning and temperament, and it doesn't really answer my question. I wouldn't go so far as to say that just intonation is natural therefore it is God's way therefore we should do it and only it. It borders on tuning Manichaeism: "spirit good, body bad." Plus, hearing just intonation doesn't exactly dazzle me. I guess I've just been duped by the dirty little secret, though (as a string player) I certainly do adjust my tuning to the environment around me.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Doug-

Oh for goodness sakes.
    I've tried to make it pretty clear that I'm no "body bad, spirit good" purist, or that I think we need to have only just intonation. I'm one of the "it's okay to have guitars, piano, and drums at Mass" people...

And I know it was a gloss on history- This is a conversation, not a classroom.

I'm only saying:
    -Tempered tuning ruins chant and Renaissance polyphony. The very essence of the music is the notes being sung, and if you use the wrong tuning system, you're singing the wrong notes.
    -If you believe that God is the creator of all things (visible and invisible) and is the author of the natural laws of math and physics, then it follows that just intonation is created by God, whereas tempered tuning is created by human beings. That doesn't mean tempered tuning is bad (we celebrate Mass inside a building designed by a human, instead of a cave or a beach), but it does mean (to me, at least) that there is something special about just intonation and it's edifying effects on faith.
  • Maureen
    Well, obviously all the frequencies were created by God.... :)

But yes, it's fair to say that inherent musical/mathematical ratios are more of a creature, while tempering systems are more like subcreations.

Subcreations have their own dignity and holiness under God, of course, or our whole musical enterprise is worthless -- which of course it isn't, since it's God who directed us to run around subcreating and singing a new song. So either way, you're good. But certainly, the special characteristics of one system or another are bound to make them specially lovable and useful to different people and for different purposes.

I suppose you could imagine a sort of musical Great Chain of Being, where various forms and techniques of sacred music are arranged in order of holiness, since we already have the "chant first" directive. :)

Re: Lifeteen

To be fair, there's no way a teenager would ever be quoted in a Lifeteen brochure, "The Mass was full of solemn joy, and I felt so many consolations and the gift of tears." The kids probably don't have the vocabulary, and the Lifeteen marketers wouldn't quote 'em if they said it. But that's probably what the kid meant.

But I remember being a Catholic teenager, and in point of fact, it didn't take much encouragement to throw me into states of solemn joy or to feel spiritual consolations. Even muddy water will do the trick for a plant that's thirsty enough. The problem is that, later, you don't have the spiritual resources to deal with harder times, because the muddy water all dried up long ago. So my objection to Lifeteen is not so much that it's bad for kids, as that it's not good enough.
  • "So my objection to Lifeteen is not so much that it's bad for kids, as that it's not good enough."

Well said.
  • JamJam
    [Kathy:] Perhaps Gregorian chant is not the *only* music with the flexibility, subtlety, artistry, and submissive intent to enhance and convey the scriptural and liturgical words it accompanies. But I'd be hard pressed to name another kind of music that does this so well.

I would say just "chant," as there are different kinds of chant (Hebrew, early Roman, Byzantine, Arabic, Slavic, Anglican, and so forth) which all seem to achieve this in different but highly similar ways. I would say the lack of a dance-rhythm, the rhymelessness, the slow and tonal quality, meditative properties (long melismas etc.) all combine into this. The drone of an ison is another kind of thing that really just shines out as holy music but isn't present in all other forms of chant. Each has its personal strengths. I dunno if any kind has actual weaknesses.

[Adam Wood:] the only time I have ever felt worshipful when singing "Praise and Worship" music was when singing it with people from the Church of Christ tradition- who sing accapella. It's amazing what removing instruments and adding four-part harmony and counterpoint can do for songs like "Here I Am to Worship" and "Hide Me Away, O Lord.")

I grew up in the Church of Christ. Even after I started falling away from church attendance, I still went to "devo" on Thursday nights to sing accapella, nostalgic hymns with old friends. I love accapella music. That probably is one thing that makes me feel so at home in the Byzantine liturgy, or at a Lenten Tridentine Mass with wonderful chant. Like you, I don't prefer the organ to the human voice, and I don't really like it. However, I would rather hear the organ than any other man-made instrument at liturgy. I think it has pride of place in the Western church, or at least should. I'd cringe to hear one at Divine Liturgy, but at Mass I can appreciate and admire it, even if I don't "like" it.

That's something it's hard to explain to folks. Even if you don't "like" chant, that doesn't change its beauty or seriousness or appropriateness. I know a few Orthodox who really don't "like" Byzantine chant but would rather have that at Liturgy than anything else. Likewise with a few Catholics and Gregorian chant. Hopefully the Christian church in general can convince my generation of the importance of separating your preferences from corporate worship.