"Inculturation" what is it?
  • miacoyne
    I am trying to understand what "inculturation' truly means. Could someone help me with this? I looked up for the definition and got this,

"Inculturation is a term used in Christianity, especially in the Roman Catholic Church, referring to the adaptation of the way Church teachings are presented to non-Christian cultures, and to the influence of those cultures to the evolution of these teachings." from Wikipedia

Also found an interesting report on Chinese Rites Controversy.(veneration to the deceased)
    When Christians go out to the missionary countries, the goal seemed to be more clear than inculturation in countires like in Amercia.
    But does multi-culturalism have the same concept as inculturation?
    What are the good examples of multi-culturalism in our society?

What are the good examples of 'Inculturation' in local churches?

And how is it done in Mass?
  • Kathy
    This is an article from the old Catholic Encyclopedia about one of the most interesting, effective, and controversial missionaries to the Far East, the Jesuit Father Matteo Ricci. You can see that his methods were seen as too accommodating to Confucianism, and so were modified after his death: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13034a.htm

In a place like Los Angeles the questions of inculturation are important. The differences between peoples are not only linguistic but also cultural.

What troubles me is the impulse to be not only responsive to people's real needs, but positively theatrical in the context of the liturgy. All subtlety is lost as we zoom in for that Broadway feeling--which of course is like no feeling at all, compared to the sublimity of religion.
  • Adam Bartlett
    Mia--

Here is the Fourth Instruction "For the Right Implementation of the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy of the Second Vatican Council", Varietates Legitimae, given by the CDW in 1994. (Liturgiam Authenticam is the Fifth Instruction). It outlines the authoritative framework for authentic inculturation.
  • G
    Dance in Zaire?
    Drums in Japan?
    Allowing Filipinos in the US to kneel for receipt of communion at the NO?

But I've seldom been in a community that inculturated well or wisely, IMO. In my experience, TPTB take some aspect of saecular culture of a group to whom they wish to be welcoming and shoehorn it into liturgy.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • JamJam
    When I think inculturation, I think of Sts. Cyril and Methodius, apostles to the Slavs. Cyrillic is named such because St. Cyril created it in order to minister to the Slavs who had no alphabet. They then translated the liturgy and the scriptures for the Slavs and brought them to the faith in their own language.

When my roommates think of inculturation, they think of guitars and Christian pop/rock music at Mass.

How could one reconcile the two disparate ideas? How could I explain to my roommates that inculturation doesn't mean taking secular things (guitars) and making them religious?
  • Adam Bartlett
    BTW - I'm taking a course on the subject with Monsignor Moroney this summer--I'm looking forward to learning more of what the Church actually teaches on inculturation, viewed in a proper light. Maybe I can share some notes here when I'm done :)
  • Kathy
    St. Cyril's task was relatively clear-cut. Other missionaries--Catholic, Anglican, Bible-thumper--translate the Bible too. The question is how to deal with other cultures, not just other languages. That is not exactly an Orthodox forte, if the history of excommunications is any indicator.

There was an Orthodox rock group called Kerygma in the 80s. It seems some seminarians thought guitars and synthesizers would be a good way to reach young people. Actually they weren't half bad.
  • eft94530eft94530
    I recalled reading a number of pre-Vatican II Church Documents
    having tangential fragments and went looking for them to post below.
    We have to see things as a development,
    the earlier getting layered over (like shellac not paint) by the later.
    There is a trend from submission and service to the existing liturgy
    toward careful transfer of corresponding liturgical features.

1947-nov-20 Mediator Dei
    http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xii_enc_20111947_mediator-dei_en.html

# 59
    # 188 -- 195

1955-dec-25 Musicae Sacrae Disciplina
    http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xii_enc_25121955_musicae-sacrae_en.html

# 69 -- 72
    # 75

1958-sep-3 De musica sacra et sacra liturgia
    http://www.adoremus.org/1958Intro-sac-mus.html

# 112

1963-dec-04 Sacrosanctum Concilium
    http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19631204_sacrosanctum-concilium_en.html

# 37 -- 40
    # 65, 68
    # 119
  • eft94530eft94530
    Also ...

Directory on Popular Piety and the Liturgy
    2001-dec-17 (italian?)
    2002-may-13 (english)
    http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20020513_vers-direttorio_en.html

# 91 -- 92

By the way, Ricci is mentioned in # 43.
  • miacoyne
    From the link Adam posted, (and the instruction also seems to overlap with what eft94530 posted above. thank you)

Except the quotes below, the instruction doesn't have specifics on countries with multiculturalism.

"29. The different situations in which the Church finds itself are an important factor in judging the degree of liturgical inculturation that is necessary. The situation of countries that were evangelized centuries ago and where the Christian faith continues to influence the culture is different from countries which were evangelized more recently or where the Gospel has not penetrated deeply into cultural values.[66] Different again is the situation of a Church where Christians are a minority of the population. A more complex situation is found when the population has different languages and cultures. A precise evaluation of the situation is necessary in order to achieve satisfactory solutions.

49. In a number of countries there are several cultures which coexist and sometimes influence each other in such a way as to lead gradually to the formation of a new culture, while at times they seek to affirm their proper identity or even oppose each other in order to stress their own existence. It can happen that customs may have little more than folkloric interest. The episcopal conference will examine each case individually with care: They should respect the riches of each culture and those who defend them, but they should not ignore or neglect a minority culture with which they are not familiar. They should weigh the risk of a Christian community becoming inward looking and also the use of inculturation for political ends. In those countries with a customary culture, account must also be taken of the extent to which modernization has affected the people."

The complex situation of multiculturalism poses a great challenge to proper inculturation in churhes in America. I hope Bishops are evaluating the situations and find the solutions as the instruction mentions above. Otherwise, the abuse may continue and become a bigger stumling block against the true reform. (Many have seen the abuses only, and it makes me wonder whether there be a solution.)
  • miacoyne
    BTW - I'm taking a course on the subject with Monsignor Moroney this summer--I'm looking forward to learning more of what the Church actually teaches on inculturation, viewed in a proper light. Maybe I can share some notes here when I'm done :) - Adam Bartlett

Adam, that would be wonderful. Thank you.
  • Kathy
    There is a big difference in the ecclesiological sensibilities of the Orthodox and Catholics, and it has a bearing on this discussion. The Orthodox Churches have all become embedded in cultures, because of the emphasis on the patriarchal leadership. Catholics have largely escaped becoming quite so settled. Our curial Romanism is always being unsettled by the strangeness of the mission lands. I think this is all to the good, but intense discernment is required in all matters, including the catechetical and liturgical.

I guess what I am trying to say as politely as possible is that the Orthodox and Catholic projects are different. You are not trying to do things on a scale or on an order of complexity even remotely equivalent to the mission of the Catholic Church. Because of this I find criticism from Orthodox quarters to be unhelpful.
  • JamJam
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean any criticism at all. I was actually hoping that someone would help explain the Catholic church's position on inculturation so that I could explain to my Catholic roommates what it really means from a Roman perspective. If my just stating the fact that they (mistakenly) believe inculturation = Christian rock at Mass, then I'm sorry, but it's the sad truth. I found myself unable to talk to them about it because I did not have the knowledge necessary to counter their arguments--and I wasn't about to bring Orthodoxy into the discussion, because they're not Orthodox, nor do they want to be.

That's why I only mentioned Cyril and Methodius, because they are Catholic saints as well, and that is what I think of first when I think of inculturation. If that is a bad example, by all means explain why and give me a better one.

apologies to miacoyne for any derailment of her thread that happened here. I think all I really want to know is the answer to her question, but couched in terms that are easy to understand for laypeople.
  • CharlesW
    I think Cyril and Methodius had a pretty good approach to inculturation. They started where the people were, and developed the tools and methods necessary to convert them. That's no easy task. Unfortunately, inculturation in our time often means making the church more like the secular society, instead of making the society more Christian. I believe some of the great Jesuit missionaries fully understood inculturation, at least in earlier times. They also knew how to successfully and effectively apply it. In other words, they had a clear goal and developed the methods to accomplish it. The fuzzy-minded, touchy-feely type of inculturation is more a flawed product of our own culture. It doesn't seem to have clear objectives, either.
  • Kathy
    I really don't think most threads in this forum can support ecumenical discussions. I suppose there could be an ecumenism category, and of course people who work in Catholic parishes should bring that experience to bear in our discussions.

EFT, thanks for the references, a gold mine!
  • Kathy
    I really don't think most threads in this forum can support ecumenical discussions. I suppose there could be an ecumenism category, and of course people who work in Catholic parishes should bring that experience to bear in our discussions.

EFT, thanks for the references, a gold mine!
  • GavinGavin
    I suppose my question would be, before answering what inculturation is, is what is its purpose?
  • Charles in CenCA
    Great question, Gavin. (I was thinking we haven't heard from you in a while.)
    Is there a bit of an answer within my question: isn't indoctrination supposed to be part of the equation?
    E pluribus unum....?
  • Although this is a Catholic forum, I think it is atrocious that offence would be taken at participation and freely-shared points of view by Orthodox. But, then, I suppose there are those who are upset at the views of Anglican Use Catholics. Do we really want to be ecclesiatical ostriches? We are all only enriched by sharing our traditions, and have far too much in common to warrant finding each other unhelpful. And, it seems to me, such interaction is particularly germane to the present topic of enculturation; especially when someone is seeking ammunition in a battle against the pseudo-enculturation of liturgical pop-music.
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    I'm with Kathy.
  • IanWIanW
    I'm with M. Jackson Osborn. It's essential that we support the case for liturgy that is culturally and religiously authentic, that is, liturgy that is handed down to us over the ages, whose development reflects the cultures through which it has travelled, while remaining true to its own past and ethos. A generous and orthodox understanding of this process will recognise a diversity of rites and forms,while avoiding the culturally ephemeral and the emotionally trivial that many seek to graft onto a liturgical culture of whose character they are, sadly, ignorant.
  • Kathy
    Rites and forms are fine. Orthodox schooling Catholics is not. Jam was asking conservative Catholics to tell her how to teach her Catholic roommates the right way to think about inculturation.
  • CharlesW
    Don't listen to those curmudgeons, M. Jackson is right - again! ;-) I have never met him in person, but think I would enjoy it immensely.

It seems to me that in past times, there wasn't so much difference between Orthodox and Catholic inculturation. The family life centered around the Church and its rites, both in terms of ritual, and geography. The Church culture was, to a great extent, the culture of everyday life. Now, going out to bless the fields, etc. means little or nothing to most of us city dwellers. Perhaps we could get our ipods blessed. ;-) Not quite the same, is it? Although the Byzantine Catholic Church does still have the "Blessing of fiery chariots" once per year. It's quite laughable since my Toyota will never have even the potential to approach "fiery." The current culture, or what passes for it, is such a mixture of unrelated components, the Church has great difficulty finding its place in it all. Too often, the Church finds itself in the world, and too much of the world. Who has the answer? I don't know but would love to hear it if anyone does.
  • JamJam
    So I'm not allowed to talk to my roommates about anything Catholic since I'm not Catholic? you'd think the truth would be the truth no matter who spoke it.

It doesn't matter, though. Mia asked a question. It's better for us to answer it here rather than bicker at each other about who is and is not allowed to talk about inculturation to whom.
  • Kathy
    I certainly don't want to feed you lines so that you can teach them how to be better Catholics, and I don't like being asked.

Sorry, Mia. This sort of presumption on the part of some Orthodox drives me crazy.
  • G
    I had no problem with informing my Methodist husband of the tenets of Methodism and explaining them to him.
    Of course, that culminated in his decision to seek full communion with the Church, so I see your point...

Incidentally, for an example of a kind of "reverse inculturation," (secular society usurping beloved religious customs, to ease the Faithful's acceptance of the dogmas of the Church of Sleeping in on Sundays,) there's this.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • miacoyne
    Maybe there's a Korean restaurant in Pittsburgh where we can all go out and enjoy 'Bulgogi.' I'm sure we will understand each other better there. (it was mentioned a few times here, some people might be getting curious.)

"Inculturation" is such a complicated issue., especially in a society with muticulturalism, ecumenism and modern pop-culture pulling us into many directions. Really, we live in the middle of all these? Pretty overwhelming.
  • Kathy
    Oh, Catholics can teach Methodists. The Methodists are in schism.

Bulgogi is my kind of inculturation. Oh, and kimbap!
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    There are quite a few Korean restaurants in Pitts!
  • JamJam
    I know where I'm not welcome.

sorry for wasting your time.
  • miacoyne
    Ok, American friends, I'll look into Korean restaurants in Pittsburgh. 'Sharing meal' is a good thing to do. This might be a good start for our mission of 'inculturation.' :-)
    (Jam, please join us.)
  • Chrism
    I always thought that inculturation was the changing of a culture to conform to Christ, not the changing of liturgy to conform to a particular popular culture.
  • IanWIanW
    Well, Jam, I appreciate your comments. I hope to see more of them, and am only sorry I won't be able to share a discussion of inculturation with my American friends over a glass or two of soju in Pittsburgh. Maybe over some grappa in Rome ...
  • miacoyne
    Chrism, I agree with you. I don't think display of some multiculturalism in Mass had any positive prospective either.
    My schola member said "inculturation' is done on a personal level. I think that's what I'll focus. (maybe over bulgogi. I can't take soju. IanW, it's a very strong stuff. I didn't know many people in this forum know about Korean stuff. Happy to find out.)
  • Of the bantering women here, one of them is downright venomous - and unhelpful. Jam, on the other hand, has struck gold on the high road, namely observing that the Truth is the Truth whoever speaks it while, yet, seeking to set grievously misled Catholic youth onto the right path. How gross are her detractors in their own very unhelpful ill will. We have grievous liturgical problems. They, the Orthodox, don't. I have a saying (which I hope will not be seen as blasphemous), it is - By their liturgy shall ye know them! (Would some charity help in these unhelpfulnesses?) Keep writing, Jam: methinks that those from whom you sought counsel are, ironically, the very ones who are in need of it!
  • Kathy
    I don't like striking any discordant note in discussion, especially here, and am sorry to have spoiled the usual beautifully cordial tenor of discussion. Its courtesy is one of the reasons I frequent this board. However, something very serious is at stake here.

As all of us are aware, Catholics have suffered recent, post-Vatican II schisms whose leaders would agree with the statement "By their liturgy shall ye know them." (I would imagine that on this board I have been the grateful beneficiary of solid help from people who belong to these groups, as well as others, and I am very thankful.)

In reponse to the thread's initial question, one of the things inculturation is not is an easy ecumenism. This has been tried and failed. In all areas of theology, 20th century Catholics subjected themselves to non-Catholic peer review. We lose by this. We lose our deepest wells of knowledge, those which cannot be explained. These spring from the lived experiences of Catholic spirituality--one of which is the incredibly difficult discipline of ecclesial unity.
  • Kathy
    I don't like striking any discordant note in discussion, especially here, and am sorry to have spoiled the usual beautifully cordial tenor of discussion. Its courtesy is one of the reasons I frequent this board. However, something very serious is at stake here.

As all of us are aware, Catholics have suffered recent, post-Vatican II schisms whose leaders would agree with the statement "By their liturgy shall ye know them."

In reponse to the thread's initial question, one of the things inculturation is not is an easy ecumenism. This has been tried and failed. In all areas of theology, 20th century Catholics subjected themselves to non-Catholic peer review. We lose by this. We lose our deepest wells of knowledge, those which cannot be explained. These spring from the lived experiences of Catholic spirituality--one of which is the incredibly difficult discipline of ecclesial unity.
  • miacoyne
    It's my fault. When I started the thread, I wasn't thinking of ecumenism. I was concerned about "multiculturalism" in America, different ethnic gruops, especially after reading about the installation Mass in the other thread. I didn't and don't think inculturation apply to "Byzantine.' Byzantines ARE Catholics, aren't they? In my understanding there are some differences, but the Church accepted them. We don't need to try to change them nor they try to change us. I think the Church already handled properly, and I don't have any problem with that.

I brought up Korean dinner as some sort of place for multicultural experience. I think there must have been some misunderstanding. (when I read my last post, I see why. I apologize for the cause.) I invited Jam as my Catholic friend, and because she mentioned that she would like to come to Mass at the Colloquium at least sometime if I remember correctly. I have a schola member who goes to Byzantine church. He talks about how beautifully they sing there, and while he also likes to sing chant with us. He attend Byzantine church on Sundays, but he comes to daily Mass to our parish. I can understand him very well why he prefers Byzantine Liturgy on Sundays. I don't think we need to stress differences and seperate Byzantine and Roman Catholics. We can do so many goods things together as Catholics. (as I mentioned earlier, my interest is in how you bring multiculturalsm of America as genuine inculturation in our church. I was hoping the thread will bring some good insights and examples. I'm very interested in this, because I'm in one of those different ethnic gruops. It's disappointing that there haven't been any good examples from this forum or anywhere yet.)

Have a blessed Sunday and Memorial day everyone!
  • DougS
    Generally speaking inculturation involves taking what is sacred in a culture and re-narrating its sacred history within the history of Christian salvation. Unfortunately for the majority of Americans there is little that is sacred, hence our trouble with inculturation.

The notion of taking something secular and making it religious isn't altogether wrong, as Jam suggests. Read this quote by William Mahrt, which articulates a subtle difference between secularizing the sacred and spiritualizing the secular:

"Newly composed liturgical songs by well-meaning people accompanied by bad instruments can be really awful.... The use of the kind of improvised piano tinkling away and all of this improvisation tends to fall back into something whose recall is really of either the cocktail bar or daytime television...What happens is that the liturgy is drawn to the secular. There is the objection that, 'Well, in the Renaissance you had secular tunes being used in masses for instance.' And that's true. But it is an entirely different process. The process there was drawing the secular into the sacred and subsuming it in an unmistakably sacred style."

If they did it in the Renaissance, why can't we do it now? We just have to go about it in a way that doesn't pull the liturgy toward the secular, but instead pulls the secular world toward the liturgy, salvation, etc. etc. The attitude that we should just dismiss the secular world outright doesn't make much sense to me--what with building up the Kingdom and all.
  • miacoyne
    What I don't understand is that when there are Spanish songs or other languages in Mass, people seem to tolerate well even if they don't understand them, while they complain about not understanding when there is Latin chant or prayers.
    Last Sunday I went to Cathedral for confirmation (and it was also Pentecost). It was very strange that Gloria was sung by cantor only, and even though it was in English. I'm not sure whether is was planned that way or it just happened. It was 'clear and loud solo'. (maybe because she didn't raise hand or there wasn't any repeated part that people are used to?) Well, I was thinking if the Cathedral doesn't mind 'solo Gloria', I guess I don't need to worry about too much Latin Gloria. There are more people in parishes who will sing it.

I remember what IanW said in another thread, very true especially in our Liturgy.
    "The task is further complicated by the cosmopolitan influences on contemporary cultures – or simplified, perhaps, because that makes the unifying effect of the 'Church’s own culture all the more valuable."

And thank you for the post Dr. Shadle. I agree with you. It's the 'association', especially the mindset that comes with 'pop-sacro music.' I have a frined who is very nice and play for contemporary band, says "I worship God with the music I like." (meaning I do the way I like to do in worshipping God. It's inevitable not to notice this big "I.") I don't believe this is the mindset we would like to cultivate in our Mass. I don't really see here the 'humility,' which Christ taught us and still showing at Mass. I'm still good friend to him and other people in the band. And I don't go around talk to them about it. But I keep singing chant in the same parish and hopefully we will have a right time to discuss about sacred music for Mass.
  • CharlesW
    Keep in mind that many of the eastern churches have been persecuted for years. That has caused their people to rally around their rites and treasure them, partly for their own self preservation. The west isn't being actively persecuted so much, as it is being undermined by the secular culture. That culture peddles some really appealing snake oil, and too many folks buy it too easily.
  • eft94530eft94530
    G: Dance in Zaire? Drums in Japan?

Perhaps, if you are a native of Zaire,
    and you have a special dance reserved for use at the arrival of the village chief,
    and you re-purpose it, thereafter using it only for the arrival of the King of Kings (e.g., Palm Sunday),
    in a Catholic liturgy in Zaire?

Perhaps, if you are a native of Japan,
    and you have a special drum that gets used only for a particular religious ceremony,
    and you re-purpose it, thereafter using it only for a correspondingly understood and more proper reason,
    in a Catholic liturgy in Japan?
  • Chrism
    So by that logic, Americans should have a 21-gun salute at every consecration? I like it.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Chrism, we would have to convert the culture sufficiently
    so that they unconditionally commit to that particular salute being reserved solely for that use forevermore.
    No more usage for any purpose identified at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21-gun_salute

It cannot be secular-and-Catholic use,
    just as it cannot be pagan-and-Catholic use.
  • In the early days following Vatican II, Msgr. di Primeo always insisted on gaudy fanfares on the trompette en chamade at the Elevation on great feasts. Inculturated or not, bad taste remains bad taste. I always was greatly embarrassed to perform these and thought at the time that only a Roman Catholic would want something so awful and tawdry at mass (this Never would have been done at Christ Church Cathedral!). Other than this, though, Msgr. di Primeo was one of the few priests I ever knew who did the right thing about Vatican II liturgy. He did what he had always done - he just did it in English. We had a real, genuine, solemn high mass every Sunday in English with three sung readings and everything else. One nice English practice of some antiquity that I put him up to was having the tower bells rung at the Elevation on great feasts. The first rule of inculturation should be that what is inculturated is real culture with authentic cultural (and sacral!) roots. The fathers of the early church were quite discriminating about what was allowed into Christian worship from the surrounding culture.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The theory of inculturation is all very interesting, and there's all sorts of things to be said on "what about in Africa" or "what about with the Natives of such and such"
    But, really- aren't most of us working in "normal" parishes in the modern world.

I'm sure there's something to be said about true, good, useful inculturation in our average situation- so any suggestions would be welcome.
    The only things I can say for certain is what valid inculturation isn't:
    -importing faux-ethnic styles in order to champion invented diversity
    -assuming that some group of people you are not a part of (Hispanics, Youth, African-Americans) want some particular style of music and then foisting it on them without asking them
    -translating Silent Night or the Song of the Body of Christ into a dozen languages and having a token member of each language group (usually an old lady) warble an unintelligible solo of said translation during a part of the Mass when no one is listening to the music anyway
    -a single painting of Black Jesus hung in the hallway near the men's room
    -adding Conga Drums to every song
    -making up new prayers for Mass
    -this