Hymns of the LH and AM?
  • bgeorge77
    Is there a major difference between the settings of the hymns found in the 1983 Liber Hymnarius and the 1934 Antiphonale Monasticum?

I realize there is going to be a difference in notation, but what I mean is: Is there a difference in actual melody?

I ask this because I find many of the hymns of the Monastic Diurnal in the Liber Hymnarius, and I am wondering if perhaps these hymns are more "Roman" and less ornate than what would be done in monastic practice.

Thanks!
  • jgirodjgirod
    From a musical point of view, the only difference I have found so far by looking at hymns for the proper of season (mainly vespers) is the "Veni creator Spriritus", which diverts less from the Roman melody in the 1983 LH than in the 1934 AM.

Note however that the LH does not show most of the vertical episemas found in the AM.

For the wording, however, there is much more difference. The Benedictines have either always kept or else resumed in 1915 the ancient version (that is, not the one revised by "humanists" according to their idea of what Latin should be and promulgated by Urban VIII). However the Liturgia Horarum, and hence the LH, feature yet a third version! It looks like some imprecatory verses (like in All Saints vesper hymns, against the Norsemen actually, who eventually became the Normans and sung it!) have been omitted (see also a the feast of Christ the King) or replaced, but I'd like to know what the other differences are. Is it a compromise with the revised version? Is it the result of a critical reviewing against more genuine sources?
  • bgeorge77
    Dear CMAA people, please chop up and scan an Antiphonale Monasticum 1934... or earlier.

How much would such a project cost?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Is there not one at Lalande?
    http://jeandelalande.org/HOME/index.htm