Extinguishing the Paschal Candle
  • ChaedatylChaedatyl
    At our EF Mass this evening, the Paschal Candle was extinguished immediately after the Gospel.
    Being new to the EF, I had never seen this done before. I thought it was such a beautiful symbol of Christ's Ascension into heaven.
    Can this be done in the Novus Ordo? It's such a perfect way to begin the end of the Easter season, and to draw to mind that we are awaiting Christ's return.
  • quilisma
    I agree that the symbolism is appropriate, but in the Novus Ordo, the instruction is that the Paschal Candle is extinguished a the end of the Mass for Pentecost.
    Rather bothersome if you celebrate both rites as you'll have to keep bringing it in and out for a week or so.
  • JamJam
    Is it because they've absorbed the season of the Ascension into the season of Easter in the NO? I did think it was strange after I went to the Vespers before Ascension at my Orthodox Church, right before which was the leavetaking of Pascha, to come home and be told that my roommates were still in their Easter season, even though Easter and Pascha were on the same day this year. I didn't realize that y'all's paschaltide was ten days longer.
  • Liam
    IIRC, the Paschal Candle is also lit for Evening Prayer II of Pentecost, the end of which marks the close of the 50 days of Eastertide.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    While I understand the reasons the Paschal Candle is kept through Pentecost, it still doesn't make sense to me. It was a symbol of Christ's bodily presence on earth, and now it's just a mixed symbol - as confusing as most mixed metaphors! Just another reason in my own personal mind why I could easily live the rest of my life never attending a NO Mass. (Of course, I would consider an occasional AU Mass, if I had one close enough to me.)
  • JamJam
    Can someone please state the reasons why its use has been extended through Pentecost?

thanks.