Solemn High Mass in Wyandotte, Michigan
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Solemn High Mass in the Extraordinary Form
    Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic Church
    Wyandotte, Michigan
    Sunday, May 16 at 5:00 PM

I'm pleased to be directing a specially-formed choir for the first Solemn High Mass to be celebrated at our church in over 40 years.

It has been an interesting and somewhat daunting experience tackling all of the chants plus polyphony for this event.

Chanted Propers; Kyrie, Sanctus/Benedictus, Agnus Dei from "Missa Secunda" by Hans Leo Hassler; Motets: "Ascendit Deus" by Wm. Byrd and "Ave Verum" by E. Elgar; Gloria (Mass VIII) and Credo III together with vernacular hymns, "Crown Him With Many Crowns" and "Hail the Day That Sees Him Rise" sung by the congregation.

I have posted a detailed article on my blog: http://aviewfromtheloft.blogspot.com/2010/05/solemn-high-mass-comes-to-mount-carmel.html
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Sounds wonderful.

Now an off-topic question - are the Credo's really attached to the numbered Masses (i.e. Credo I is from Mass I, Credo III from Mass III)? Or are they just seperately numbered and apart from the numbered Masses?
    Quite right, matthewj.

I typed this very late last night, and didn't pay close enough attention. There are 6 settings of the Credo that are independent of the Mass Ordinaries, and carry their own number designations.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    David:

An honest question, not meant as a challenge in ANY way: Are you dispensing with the proper introit to sing "Hail the Day that Sees Him Rise"? Where are the two hymns coming in the mass, and are there provisions for that in the Extraordinary Form?

Again, I don't know the answers to these questions and want to learn.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    the credos are not connected to the Masses...credo was added to the Mass much later (X-siècle), and according to fortescue, their 'separateness' is a reminder of this
  • GavinGavin
    Paix: in the Detroit area, it is common to sing a processional hymn prior to the aspergion before Mass, and a hymn after Mass. I assume this is what will happen.
    PaixGioiaAmor: Gavin's got it right. There seems to be a custom here to sing a vernacular hymn prior to the Asperges/Vidi aquam, and again after the Last Gospel. I was going to dispense with it, but since I'm the "new kid on the block" I decided not to buck local custom.

There doesn't seem to be any proscription in the rubrics for this, and the practice is discussed in "Psallite Sapienter".
  • chonakchonak
    In addition to choosing the Credo setting independently of the Mass setting, it is also perfectly OK to mix and match Mass parts, even in the EF: e.g., to sing Gloria IX while taking the other parts from Mass VIII. (This is stated on page 78 of the Liber Usualis.) The exception is that one should not mix the ferial Mass settings with the others.