orientation question
  • Michael O'Connor
    I am preparing a nuptial Mass that will be held in a modern church. I am told that there might not be room enough for the priest face ad orientam in this church. Is it permissible in the EF of the Mass to face ad populum in such a circumstance?
  • OlbashOlbash
    I believe there is a long history of Masses being celebrated ad populum when architectural constraints exist, but I have no sources to back that up. St. Peter Outside the Walls comes to mind. It's an interesting question. Anyone have an authoritative answer for this?
  • JamJam
    Just be sure to have the congregation face east with the celebrant when the eucharistic prayers come around ;)
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    i would check with the priest who plans on saying the Mass
  • Michael O'Connor
    That's who told me there was not enough room. There are 2 small steps to the altar, which is positioned permanently about 1 foot from the edge. He doesn't mind, but I just wanted to be sure that there is no prohibition in the EF.
  • JamJam
    I know that it won't help you in this particular instance, but isn't there a rule somewhere that you can't build new churches without the possibility of celebrating ad orientem?
  • JamJam
    Clement:

While what you are saying is 100% true, you fail to mention that, when the priest celebrated versus populum in order to face East, the entire congregation faced East with him when the Eucharistic prayers came about (as I mentioned above). Celebrating versus populum the way it is done in the Roman church today is not historical. In the past, facing the true East during prayer was more important than facing the apse or what is now called "liturgical east." Early Christians faced East: period. Ad orientem means "to the East." Ergo, a priest ought to always be praying "ad orientem," even if he happens to be praying "versus populum" at the same time due to architectural constraints.

Then, on the same note, the congregation ought to always be praying ad orientem as well. The early Christians did that in St. Peter's basilica and in other West-facing churches. But the concept of facing East during prayer has been all but lost in the present day West.