• Ralph BednarzRalph Bednarz
    deleted
  • incantuincantu
    You will often find light notes at the beginning of chants, and sometimes at the beginning of phrases, indicated by points (as opposed to the long tractulus) in the Metz notation or by the addition of a "c" (celeriter) to the virga or tractulus in the St. Gall notation. The latter often leaves this out, but it still assumed. I however am not away of any paleographic evidence to support the interpretation in the posted recording. I would guess that is either the result of a long standing tradition of that particular schola, or it is an innovation of the director.

From a pedagogical standpoint, I would assert that it's nearly impossible for an ensemble to sing staccato well unless they have first mastered singing legato.
  • What I hear in that recording sounds more like a marcato than staccato; I don't hear any real definable separation between pitches, only more defined attacks. Either way, I'd call that purely interpretive from the ears of a modern musician. I'm not sure the chant would ever have been concieved in this fashion. If you're going to attempt any such thing, I'd recommend that you consider if it aids in the clarity of the text and doesn't call attention to itself. If it can do both, then give it the ol' college try.