Singing Sequence EF
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    A friend is planning for his schola to sing an EF Missa Cantata for Corpus Christi including the sequence (Lauda Sion) and the question came up about whether the sequence was ever shortened in the EF form as it commonly is for NO (just vss 21 to the end -- Ecce panis).

I don't have much experience with EF, unfortunately, so would be very grateful for help on this.
  • gregpgregp
    Janet, we sang the shortened form last year, with the priest's permission, but this year we will be singing the entire thing. I made it easier for the schola, I hope, but going over the cadence in each verse to show how it comes to a similar conclusion almost every time.

As an aside, the first time Wendy and I went to visit Dr. Mahrt's church for Sunday Mass was Corpus Christi, and we got to hear them sing the entire thing for a Latin OF Mass.
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    Thanks, Greg,

I forwarded your answer on to him... they haven't sung an EF Mass for Corpus Christi in previous years, so there is already a lot to learn, I think. My little schola has added the Factus est Communion proper for this year... it is especially nice.
  • dvalerio
    There is no provision in EF liturgical books to shorten Lauda Sion. That is an OF innovation.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Shortening the sequence at mass could very well be an OF innovation, but Ecce panis seems to have been in circulation by itself long before, though I dont really know in what contexts. Dupré's setting is useful as an intonation, btw. Stand alone settings of Bone pastor are even more plentiful: http://www.preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Euch/BonePastor.html
  • dvalerio
    Yes, there are separate settings of the final stanzas, which might be used in other contexts: but when Lauda Sion is sung as the Sequence of the Mass in the EF, it is to be sung in its entirety. I guess it was the existence of such settings that gave Bugnini's Consilium in the 1960's the idea to allow singing only the final part of the Sequence in the OF.
  • artdob
    Suspect the Sequence would not be sung during an EF low mass? New to the EF - would appreciate clarification from the experienced crowd. Thanks.
  • WGS
    None of the propers or the ordinary may be sung at an EF low mass. That's where the four hymn format applies.
  • gregpgregp
    davlerio, you were correct. I checked, and last year we sang the entire sequence for the EF according to a psalm tone. This year, we're doing the real thing!