Vigil of Pentecost • 1962 MIssal • ORGAN ACCOMPANIMENTS
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    So nobody else has to go through this:

Organ Accompaniments for the Vigil of Pentecost (Extraordinary Form)

Let me know if I made any errors. It was difficult to assemble these.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

A VIDEO EXPLAINING whence these accompaniments came

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Propers with English Translations (courtesy of MusicaSacra.com)
  • So, my schola is actually singing this Mass in two weeks.
    I have a question about the Alleluia, which is the one from the Easter Vigil. But for Pentecost Vigil, the Liber says "Alleluia (which is not repeated)." I'm taking this to mean just straight through it once, with no repeat before or after the verse Confitemini, or the Tract. Is this correct?

If anyone knows or has sung this Mass using the 1962 Missal, I'd appreciate a clarification. Thanks.
  • MarkThompson
    David, I would think (though I don't know) that the whole thing is sung exactly as on the Easter Vigil. Note that for the Easter Vigil, after the Confitemini Domini the Liber says, "Alleluia is not repeated." I think the Pentecost Vigil rubric is simply echoing that. So, on the Pentecost Vigil the Alleluia would be sung according to its rubrics (three times, with repeats), then the verse, then fine.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    i have this same question about the triple alleluia (intoned by priest??)...but I think the vigil of pentecost originally had like 12 readings....believe it or not, it was for people who 'missed' the easter vigil....they also blessed water, i think
  • So we sang this Mass this afternoon for a wedding.
    Based on my consulations, we sang the Alleluia once only, followed by the verse Confitemini and the tract Laudate.

The couple requested lots of extra chants, so we accommodated some of their requests, as the priest was willing to wait. (Adoro Te, Joseph fili David, and Solemn Regina Caeli).
    The Ordinary was Missa Papae Marcelli, sung by the choir, not our schola.

Pentecost Mass--completely different, comes in the morning.
    An older form for the Pentecost Vigil had 12 prophecies and blessing of the font, but I think that was reduced in the 1955 reform.