Across the Universe
  • My parochial kids performed a Beatles' retrospective today.
    Of course, big hit.
    I'm decompressing, only way seems logical to be watching "Across the Universe" film.
    The "Jimi Hendrix" character sez " Music's the only thing that makes sense anymore, man...keeps the demons away."

Don't even think of flaming on the Beatles with me vis a vis the children. Unless you want a nuclear response.

What about "Jimi's" maxim? Is music the only thing that makes sense anymore? Does it keep the demons away?

This is real world in my world. Anybody else get it?
  • don roy
    i conduct a community chorus in a 55 plus gated community who sang selections from mama mia so i relate.
    as for the jimi hendrix quote, im reminded of difficult times in my life when music was my only consolation. i also remember a particularly bad time when , for a while, music seemed useless.
    that was as far into the spiritual desert of hopelessness as i ever want to get let me tell you...
  • Erik P
  • CharlesW
    Who knows? Charles, your world is very different from mine, so comparisons are difficult to make. But as for Hendrix, he's dead as result of his own excesses. I usually point that out to my kids, and that talent and good sense don't always go together.
  • Charles in CenCA
    CtB, DR
    The "Jimi" I spoke of is a character in the film modeled after the real Jimi Hendrix, the quote is from the film play, not a real Hendrix quote. The excesses of my generation are well known and plague us still.
    Erik, I'm not quite sure how the McClean "AP" line about Satan figures into the schema of things. Feel free to spell it out for me like I'm a three year old.
    I suppose, after a not restful night's sleep and two First Communions today, what I meant to say was-
    Does anyone else sometime feel that our relationship to music and its objectives often seem like the only thing that keeps us going? In that way, music can never seem useless. And it does seem to keep the demons at bay, from wherever they come and however they are manifested.
    Whether your life resembles mine or not, "ACROSS THE UNIVERSE" is a powerful film that represents the immense power of music, no matter where one's taste in music lies. One could say the same thing about the film "IMPROMPTU."
    Going now, liturgy time.
  • Charles, before I knew you started this discussion, I saw the title and thought of you! HA!

To get to your question,
    'Does anyone else sometime feel that our relationship to music and its objectives often seem like the only thing that keeps us going?'
    Yes. I would modify that it might not be the only thing, but a main thing. When so little of what we do *seems* to matter in the little time we're given, its natural to take comfort in what we do reasonably well, and also has the capacity to transcend time. I think that's what makes me love chant more and more. I am jumping into something I can do fairly well, something that sustains my love of music and truth, and a body of music that is much bigger than I am.

My friend, for all the warts involved with being a musician in the service of the Church, this music enables us to sink deeply into the Scriptures and Tradition of the countless generations of Jesus-loving Catholics who came before us. We live what we were given, and we strive to be worthy and pass it on. Through the effort involved in our occupation, we are doing now what we hope to be doing for all eternity- praising God well with all we have. How blessed are we, warts and all.
  • Richard R.
    Music doesn't so much keep the demons away as it ushers the angels in.

Have another brownie and enjoy the ride, Charles.
  • Donnaswan
    Today I dragged out two 'old faithfuls' for Mass, and was thinking, I bet people are sick of these. After Mass, a retired director of this choir and very knowledgeable musician, said to me, Donna, the choir sounded so beautiful this morning. Those are my two favorite anthems, and you sang them so well.
    So just goes to show. It lightened my heart which is carrying a heavy load this spring.
    Donna
  • Donnaswan
    Should have said what they were, I suppose-- Durufle 'Ubi car' and Stephen Carraciolo's arr. of Adore te devote/Jesus I adore Thee.

Donna
  • Michael O'Connor
    Durufle never gets tired if done well.
  • Donnaswan
    No, he doesn't. I have a long list of things to be sung at my funeral and that's in the top 5. LOL

Donna
  • Charles in CenCA
    I've come to the conclusion that it is of no concern to me if Faure's or Durufle's "Lux Aeterna" is sung, or "In My Life" or "Across the Universe," or "My Way" and "Viva Las Vegas" be crooned and cortorted at my funeral, I won't be in the building.
    I'm rather thinking that Purgatory will cleanse my ears and other "senses" so that I may be ready to join, ahem, the only significant choir in existence, pray God.
  • Michael O'Connor
    But if you insist that a proper Mass with appropriate music occur at your funeral, you leave a gift for others IMO.
  • Charles in CenCA
    Already booked with a local schola and EF willing priest, MOC. Date TBD.