Puis XII reformed chant tone for the Passions
  • Ted
    The restored ordo for Holy Week of Pius XII seems to have suppressed the singing of the Passion using a regular tone of the Gospel following the death of Jesus. The St John Passion posted at musicasacra.org, for instance, is an old ordo which requires the change of tone but my 1955 version of the St. John Passion for the reformed Holy Week simply continues with the tone of the Passion to the end, although it has an interesting and unique cadence at the very end. I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not the old ordo is still permitted for both forms of the Roman Rite as this change may also be related to the Proclamation of the Birth of Christ which uses the tone of the Passion at the very end, that is to say, it relates the birth of Christ to His Death.
    Thanks
  • Ted
    Fr. Z in his latest blog has answered my question. Yes indeed there were changes that eliminated the special tone or the optional gospel tone for after the death of Jesus. The special tone was slashed:
    http://wdtprs.com/blog/2008/03/prayercazt-21-passion-of-st-matthew-palm-sunday-1962-missale-romanum/