Processions and practicality
  • gregpgregp
    The thread on processions got me to thinking... whenever we have one outside for Corpus Christi, Palm Sunday, etc., our leaders go too fast, which means the people get strung out and lose their sense of being together in this thing. That's an issue I can talk to people about, but as a matter of practicality, do most people sing while they process? When we sing it seems like we are basically singing to ourselves, because a) we're not together, b) we're outside, and c) I hate to say it, but walking (especially walking FAST) and singing are not activities that go well together (except when you're singing "C-130 rolling down the strip", which most people here probably wouldn't know anyway).

So, what do you do with outdoor processions?
  • JahazaJahaza
    Mainly, I think, you just have to go slow.

There seem to be two keys to keeping processsion pacing correct once the correct pace is set.

1) The thurifer or crucifer leading the procession has to know what the correct pace is and maintain it. We always assign experienced servers to this role. On a Sunday by Sunday basis, we (the MCs, but occasionally the priest) give feedback on the speed of the procession to the thurifer or crucifer. If the entrance procession was too fast, we tell them this during the Mass so that the recessional isn't also too fast. When we hold longer processions (Maundy Thursday, Corpus Christi, Palm Sunday) it's even more important that this server be very experienced.

2) We hold rehearsals for important liturgies that involve processions. We spend a good amount of time practicing the processions in particular. This rehearsal is particularly important if you have pairs of servers you want to keep seperated in the procession and if they have to move from one configuration to another.

A third point, which is more general. Remember (per Fortescue) that the MC has no assinged place in the procession. If neccesary, he moves to the front to tell people to slow down (or passes the word).

In planning for our EF Corpus Christi procession this year, I'm planning to have two MCs, one for the Mass who during the procession will stay with the sacred ministers and the Blessed Sacrament and a second MC who will marshall the servers/choir/faithful for the procession and keep them on track.

Oh and... "stand up, hook up, shuffle to the door"
  • JamJam
    I think a slightly disorganized procession is common everywhere. It might help to scatter the choir throughout the crowd if you want to bolster the congregational singing. I've noticed that usually we end up in clumps following each other, and it's not perfect but it's not the worst thing ever. We do better with processions that involve stopping and praying in certain compass directions (when people can catch up to each other) than processions which do not stop until the end.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I believe the Corpus Christi EF procession requires two thurifers, walking backwards, swinging thuribles.

So, you have young boys in cassocks walking backwards swinging something on fire. In my heart, I cannot help but think over the years, there must have been some accidents...
  • Kathy
    We finally had a decent procession on Holy Thursday. The two keys were an MC at the front, keeping it slow, and organ accompaniment for the beginning of the Pange Lingua.
  • G
    Litanies are the answer, musically.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • JahazaJahaza
    I believe the Corpus Christi EF procession requires two thurifers, walking backwards, swinging thuribles.

It's a fairly common custom for them to walk backwards, but it's not required by the rubrics and Fortescue says that it shouldn't be done.
  • gregpgregp
    G, that's brilliant. No carrying music; everyone knows the response; etc., etc.