New Roman Missal
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I noticed in looking at the musical settings posted on the ICEL site that the new Lord's Prayer music will be the "Pater Noster" chant melody instead of the more familiar chant that everyone knows as found in the appendix of the current missal. Will there be anything wrong or objectionable about continuing to use the chant melody from the current missal after the new one is implemented, since the words aren't changing, only the music?
  • awruff
    This is ICEL music, but what goes in the US missal is decided by the US bishops, not ICEL. The US bishops will have to decide whether even to use the ICEL Lord's Prayer. Many expect they'll use only the current one because it is so well known.
    awr
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    oh my. I didn't know. I'm very very impressed with what ICEL has done with the english chant
  • The revised English version is very well done, as are the other ordinary chants I have looked at, I too, >•<, am impressed.<br />
    We will be singing the music of the revised Lamb of God and the revised Holy (substituting the old text) very shortly as a long-range plan to ease the transition.

I'd better be clear, the LOG text is unchanged but the simple chant melodies of both have been very effectively re-crafted.
  • ICEL discussed this topic in their Introduction to the new music settings. On pp. 11-12 of the document (pdf), they say:

The Lord’s Prayer
    The “Our Father” presents an interesting pastoral conundrum. In the United States, a very successful simplified setting with admirable treatment of the English language is already widely used. Australia has its own widely used setting based closely on the Latin Pater noster, and other countries have their own settings as well. Many would regret tampering with an element of the reformed liturgy that the people sing so well. Several possible pastoral solutions were given serious consideration. ICEL could have selected one from the many current settings of various countries to include in the Roman Missal. Or ICEL could have refrained from proposing a revised setting, with the suggestion that each country retain what is presently in use. After much consideration it was decided to offer to all the Conferences of Bishops a new setting based on the Latin Pater noster (GR 812, GS 9‐10). Each country will examine the setting and decide whether or not to introduce it, either alongside or as a replacement for settings currently in use.